Broken finger loop on spring strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not following your logic here.....

OK, it goes like this. You are back at the boat ladder and getting read to climb. You grab the ladder with one hand and reach down to take of your fins. You stick a finger in the damned little loop and pull the strap over your heel and remove the fin. As you reach for the second fin you have the great pleasure of watching the first fin sinking away into the abyss. If you get really lucky, you can see the little loop flopping loosely from the one side that is not ripped off.

At least that is how my "friend" described it.

PART ONE: You stick a finger in the damned little loop and pull the strap over your heel and remove the fin. PART TWO: As you reach for the second fin you have the great pleasure of watching the first fin sinking away into the abyss.
What happened between part one and part two? If nothing, then the fins design had nothing to do with the problem.

I am guessing that the finger loop broke when he pulled the strap over his heal. The loop was the only point of contact between the "friends" hand and the fin. Once the loop broke he/she did not have a hold of the fin anymore and it went for it's last dive.

OK, it goes like this. You are back at the boat ladder and getting read to climb. You grab the ladder with one hand and reach down to take of your fins. You stick a finger in the damned little loop and pull the strap over your heel and remove the fin. As you reach for the second fin you have the great pleasure of watching the first fin sinking away into the abyss. If you get really lucky, you can see the little loop flopping loosely from the one side that is not ripped off.

At least that is how my "friend" described it.

I am guessing that the finger loop broke when he pulled the strap over his heal. The loop was the only point of contact between the "friends" hand and the fin. Once the loop broke he/she did not have a hold of the fin anymore and it went for it's last dive.
That's not what it says. It says the first fin was lost "As you reach for the second fin." Personally, I do something permanent with the first fin before reaching for the second fin. If I am on the ladder, as he describes, I am handing it up to a DM. Once that is safely gone, I reach for the second. Alternatively, I will put the spring strap of the first fin on my wrist before reaching for the second fin. Either way, the first fin is secured before I reach for the second. I was wondering what happened in the case described.

---------- Post added ----------

BTW, at my age and my limited flexibility, removing fins while hanging onto a bouncing ladder is by far the hardest part of diving, so I pay attention to the technique.

Damn, who cares about the specifics of exactly how it happened. The point is that I hate those damned little loops now and do not use them and cut them off when they are present.

I had moved the fin to the other hand that was also holding the ladder. Happy now?

Ok, rant over. On to the next thread.

Damn, who cares about the specifics of exactly how it happened. The point is that I hate those damned little loops now and do not use them and cut them off when they are present.

I had moved the fin to the other hand that was also holding the ladder. Happy now?

Ok, rant over. On to the next thread.

Yep. As I understand it now, you took the first fin off, put it in your hand that was also holding on to a bouncing ladder without putting the strap over your wrist, and the unsecured fin came out of your hand while you were reaching for the second fin. So that explains why that would make you hate loops on the fin straps. Got it.

Yep. As I understand it now, you took the first fin off, put it in your hand that was also holding on to a bouncing ladder without putting the strap over your wrist, and the unsecured fin came out of your hand while you were reaching for the second fin. So that explains why that would make you hate loops on the fin straps. Got it.

These are the kind of stupid frickin' posts that make me stay away from this forum so much!

The fin was secured by the loop. I had my finger through it. When the loop broke, the fin left.

Yes a bouncy ladder was beating the dog snot out of me and I was lucky to be able to get my fins off without losing my grip on the ladder. Trying to move a fin to my wrist was definitely not a viable option at that time. However, with just the spring strap, it flips over my wrist as I remove it.

I have also been so fortunate to have a spring strap come apart when clipped to my harness and almost didn't catch it in time. Nothing is perfect, but those damned little loops really suck.

Stop sending me off on these rants.

May I suggest that instead of going off on rants you might try explaining things fully? I could not see what your fist post could possibly have to do with a broken loop. Perhaps it was a failure of my imagination, but I didn't see it. I politely asked for an explanation, and you responded with the first rant in which you refused to explain the missing detail. It might help to just put in the details in the first place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom