Broken Bow. Two Thumbs up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryanh1985

Contributor
Reaction score
Only question I have now is why has it taken me this long to get up their.

I had been having second thoughts about making this dive, my normal rule for solo diving is only do it in places I have been before, also I have only dived outside of a dive park 1 time, so I was not used to setting up my own flag and all that mess. After giving it more thought in the morning I drove around a scouted a few places. Most seemed a little heaver in boat traffic than I would like, so I ended up choosing a spot next to the dam.

Problem with this spot was it was a 100 ft. down hill climb to get to the water. This ended up sucking caring doubles, and all the rest of the gear down their.
DSCF0655.jpg

This is about half way down..

Water from the surface looked pretty good, but not as good as the stories I had heard. I decided I would dip down for a few min. and if I felt ok I would continue the dive, if not I would just haul all my stuff back up.

Once I set up my dive flag, and started my decent down to around 15 ft. The water was decently warm around 75 and vis was about 4-5 feet. Took a compass heading and took off towards the center of the lake. Soon enough I was at 40 feet and had easily 20 feet of Vis. My HID light was just punching a hole into the darkness, it was pretty cool to see. Around 65 feet, the vis went down to a few feet, but as soon as I dropped down to 80 it was crystal clear again. Deepest I got was around 85 if I remember right.

Then I learned my lesson of the day, if you don't feel comfortable with the dive before it, call it off. On the way back, my damn weight pocket came flying open. (my fault I had to much weight in it). I started coming up and before I knew it very fast, make a long story short I ended up breaking the neck seal on my dry suit (Not really sure I needed to but it just seemed the best case scenario) When all was said and done I was at 35 feet before I was neutral again and figured out what happen. It was defiantly the scariest moment I have had in scuba. I thought I was going to look like a sub breaching the surface.

Needless to say I am going to look at a way to permanently mount weights onto my backplate, or just make the switch to steel doubles.

Dive data was = Vis 20+ most of the dive, max depth 85, Lowest temp 50 (Pretty sure my computer is off as it felt colder) dive time 1H 33M

This is an awesome place to dive, beats the hell out of Travis as far as visibility and scenery goes, its the same distance for me, so this is my new lake watering hole.

Last edited:
Ryan........... awesome dive report and photo. I am SO glad you gained control over your rapid ascent......nice job,,,,,,but I bet it was scary (I have had a similar experience). I love that lake myself....been several times. Keep up the trying of new watering holes and remember those 'solo diver' rules. Be safe and keep up the fun!! :) Alan

Just a few more photos of the area, its really hard to believe its only a few hours away from Dallas.

DSCF0649.jpg

Behind campsite at Beavers Bend.

DSCF0656.jpg

This is right by the damn.

DSCF0659.jpg

Happy to be top side, just wish I wasn't cold and wet in my dry suit. :shakehead:

I bet it was chilly....hey wet/chilly is better than the alternative!

Wet in a drysuit sucks, don't it? :D

I bet if you let us know before you head back up this way you might find a buddy or two..... BB is only 1 - 1 1/2 hours from Paris. It is a beautiful lake, and the vis aint too shabby....

I bet it was chilly....hey wet/chilly is better than the alternative!

Very,very true,, and all I could think right after this happened is how poor of an area it would be to get bent, or have an air embolism in. Ended up finishing the dive with a long long safety stop and very slow acent the rest of the way up. It also got me to thinking that I might not even need weight with my setup because I was a little light, but not bad for two low on air al 80's.

Wet in a drysuit sucks, don't it? :D

I bet if you let us know before you head back up this way you might find a buddy or two..... BB is only 1 - 1 1/2 hours from Paris. It is a beautiful lake, and the vis aint too shabby....

Ill defiantly Let you and Frank next time I head up there. Next time ill have a little more notice than a few hours.

Vis. is better than I have ever seen in Texas, by a long run.

Frank and I plus a few others here have made some cool dives at various spots on the lake,,,,,there is a way neat island dive and its from shore! Let me know when you are next heading north....maybe I need a good outing.... :)

Frank and I plus a few others here have made some cool dives at various spots on the lake,,,,,there is a way neat island dive and its from shore! Let me know when you are next heading north....maybe I need a good outing.... :)

Sure thing, Probably will be a few months, I hope not, but that's the way its looking. Course according to Dallas my ass belongs to them for 8 months starting next week, hopefully that only includes Mon-fri. :D

Sure thing, Probably will be a few months, I hope not, but that's the way its looking. Course according to Dallas my ass belongs to them for 8 months starting next week, hopefully that only includes Mon-fri. :D

CONGRATS guy on the DPD academy.......I remember my academy days with great memories! Enjoy and keep at the studies and skills involved....it's not an easy task but you will do fine I think!

Back
Top Bottom