Broken Bow 5/27-28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazyduck:
After reading the report by Frank and implicating Alan-:D is this site an alterative to Travis?

It is about the same traveling distance, I am guessing that getting a cabin would be semi cheap and there are places to eat at?

Minus the bean burritos and habanera hot sauce. That brings back bad memories of sitting in deco and realizing that you have a serious stomach problem and there is no way out until your clear deco. :jpshakehe

Right now to camp and dive at Windy Point is costing the average Joe diver $35.00 each to dive and stay at the park for the weekend. That cost could be put towards a cabin for the night.

Alan mentioned a local shop with membrane nitrox fills- that covers the breathing gas.
Does the site have many beach entries, and wall dives?

So Frank what does the area rank on the mountain goat scale of difficulty? Joking sir.:evil:

Sounds like something to try later this summer.

Andrew

Andrew... this is super lake to dive and in my oppion as ggod and in some ways much better than Travis! Many shore entry spots,,,a few with a bit ofa mule climb,,,but nothing you could not manage.....a few may req. a gear run if in doubles or larger steel singles. Walls and overhangs....tons of rock formations with several kinds of rocks. Little in the way of trash on the bottom...very clean. **If you ever want to head up...let me know and I bet we can hook-up with Frank in Paris and we'll show you the sites. Camping/motels/cabins galore. Dive shop with air to custom mix. Diving for everyone...recreational--sport--tech.. I don't recall mentioning a membrane system...I think it was PP. But we can stock up at SIS. :)

Traitors!! All of you! The Gods of Travis know you betray their bountiful mud hole for the Waters of the North and they will smite you. They will rain down upon you the silt of 100 open water students and call upon their minions, the drunken jet skiers, to torment you upon your surfacing.

As of last weekend I completed a quest to dive along the entre South side of the lake East of the Spillway including the East Cliffs near the Dam. Done in succession it could be done in 8 or 9 dives (on different days of course). I repeated some of them. I want to do these again .... But ...
I've also been looking at some different spots to go on Lake Broken Bow.
I've found 3 I'd like to scout soon.

Now that it's Sea-Doo / Boat weather I've been looking at the Topographic maps of the lake bottom and it seems to me that Sand Springs Bend has a few really nice underwater cliffs that reach 80-110+ feet tall/deep and have large overhangs.
The topographic elevation lines actually over lap and criss cross each other.
( located across the lake North of the Stevens Gap Area)

This location is at a sharp set of zig-zig turns on the old river channel. As is typically the case the outside of a river bend will erode more and these outside bends are no different. This errosion has left some nice above and below water cliff features.
This is for sure a boat access dive but not an extreme distance from where I usually go to put in at. So.... ~ It is Worthy. :D

You can check out the map at terraserver-usa
Just click this link below:

http://www.terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=12&Z=15&X=432&Y=4737&W=1

Timeliner:
As of last weekend I completed a quest to dive along the entre South side of the lake East of the Spillway including the East Cliffs near the Dam. Done in succession it could be done in 8 or 9 dives (on different days of course). I repeated some of them. I want to do these again .... But ...
I've also been looking at some different spots to go on Lake Broken Bow.
I've found 3 I'd like to scout soon.

Now that it's Sea-Doo / Boat weather I've been looking at the Topographic maps of the lake bottom and it seems to me that Sand Springs Bend has a few really nice underwater cliffs that reach 80-110+ feet tall/deep and have large overhangs.
The topographic elevation lines actually over lap and criss cross each other.
( located across the lake North of the Stevens Gap Area)

This location is at a sharp set of zig-zig turns on the old river channel. As is typically the case the outside of a river bend will erode more and these outside bends are no different. This errosion has left some nice above and below water cliff features.
This is for sure a boat access dive but not an extreme distance from where I usually go to put in at. So.... ~ It is Worthy. :D

You can check out the map at terraserver-usa
Just click this link below:

http://www.terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=12&Z=15&X=432&Y=4737&W=1

Frank those look like worthy dive spots....I am in on that trek. :)

loosebits:
Traitors!! All of you! The Gods of Travis know you betray their bountiful mud hole for the Waters of the North and they will smite you. They will rain down upon you the silt of 100 open water students and call upon their minions, the drunken jet skiers, to torment you upon your surfacing.

Gotta love it--lol!!! Rand you gotta hit this place with us one trek......it's just great for us in the DFW area to have another good watering hole----now one north and one south! :)

Rand,
Put down power bar and stop drinking the mocha latte dude. :coffee:

I have been traveling to Travis since 1991 and have seen the build up. It used to be exit 35 and just drive on a relaxing road. Now it is a concrete jungle out there before you exit for the lake. What a nightmare.

If anything my repertory in diving is thin in the great unknown lakes of the north (Oklahoma.) Sure I take a risk driving north of the Red River being a UT Grad but hey called it an adventure and get after it. :D

We need deep dependable lakes that are clear and provide us options for training and diving. If Broken Bow provides us with 150ft plus depths with dark but clear water then hey I am all for checking it out. We own drysuits for a good reason.

Common dude, you guys can come on out and play and maybe will find new things.
At Murray we found a car, parked on a pier at 32ft with a line that ran to 72ft.
There I was hanging over a rock outcropping holding on to the line sweeping my hand under a rock overhang looking for the line. Thinking to myself- damn I am at 500psi, on a single stl 98, no bailout, using a SL4 and this line could be tied in and I know it goes. But hey, you have to call the dive sometime. I only got caught up in fishing line at 50ft on the way up and I surface with 250Psi after stops – no problem. I am heading back to that line. Only drawback is the particulate in the water. Below 80ft is going to be a mud dive. Andrew

loosebits:

Rand and Andrew if you are traveling with me north of the RR,,,,the gods will bid you 'welcome', because you are traveling with a native Okie!!

loosebits:

But Warrior Rand
... The Sirens 'doth Command Thee to Partake in the Festival of the Aquatic Nimrods.

(Cute ones !!! and they's a whole passel of 'em too !! :D )

Spred thy inflated wings and fly North my Tri-Lam / Tri-Mix brother

OBTW.......
Remember... it's your turn to bring the beer !

The Sirens hath spoken.....

Quick! Grab Frank and sling some of Granny's reumatiz medicine down his throat! Them sireeens have done changed him to talkin' funny... Don't he know that Rand can't fly?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom