Broken Bow 5/27-28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stangscuba98a:
I am half asleep... Thanks.

Surface temps were in the 70's.

texdiveguy:
What a GREAT time Frank and I had diving.... Super diving,,,a must dive spot again for sure. The lake has a gravel pit at one spot to 185ffw....and areas of 140'. :)
Glad yall had such a good time. Frank, it sounds like you have a solid convert there. I will look forward to joining you sometime.

Willie

What was excellent for me to find out on the dives that we did at Broken Bow was what it looked like down deep. I'd been there a lot of times but never really had someone along that wanted to look for the bottom.

We circled the small Island near the end of Eagle Point on Stevens Gap and found a drop off I had been wanting to check out on the North side of the Island. It was a crazy-cool thing that had a lot of rock ledges and trees. It felt like going into a Big Armadillo Hole. Yep... It was cool. We went down around 60 feet and bushwacked a bit. I was in a 7 mil. shorty and Alan was in a 5 mil. and it got cold pretty fast but we lasted a good while before coming back up and circling the Island and returning to the shore. We found some clam shells along the way for the kids who wanted us to bring them back some treasure.

We stashed the gear and beat it over to one of the Overlooks on the South side of the lake for the rest of the afternoon. We geared up and took the goat trail down to a nice cove, drifted on out off shore a ways, dropped the dive flag and went to "Find the Sirens"
I know they live down there 'cause I hear them calling me to "Come on Down" every time I dive this place.
We dropped in on the South Wall passing through an area of trees I call Central Park. It is one rock ledge after an another after that. The Sun's glow fades and our lights came on around 50 feet .
Man... it's hard to believe that it was over 90 degrees on top. I'm in full Winter gear and my feet are like ice. Sweet Jesus I can't believe I forgot to wear insulated socks !! 'Took a look back at Alan and felt that ice water run past my neck seal ... WOhhhhh Yea Baby this is lake Divin' !!! Going over the edge of each new ledge feels like jumping off cliffs into the black. Kicking along parallel to the ledges we could make our way down slowly weaving through the overhangs and trees. You expected the trees to talk. They were impressive with massive roots that slithered in all directions like snakes. We didn't see much fishing line. It was there but then again who really trols for Bass at 90 feet anyway? The water was really clear. Sure, it was like a night dive but it was an easy 20-25 feet of Vis. with no particulates to speak of.
The light beams just went off clear and pin point straight. If we would have had a can light I don't know how far we could have seen. I guess the Siren's were all out shopping 'cause I didn't hear them anywhere like I usually do.
I don't know why I didn't move on down a bit more past 100 feet but no mater we started back up from 93. Making our way back up through the overhangs and trees was fantastic. What a riot !! We had used but little of our air and so we made a nice out and back along the South Wall at 30 - 50 feet ( West out/ East back). The warmer water at those depths was only a little bit more cozy then down in the dark but it was still clear and there was little chance of loosing sight of your buddy most of the time.
We got back to the cove where we entered, found the weight for the dive flag and hit the shore for a SI and ate a couple of Bean Boritos with Habanero Hot Sauce and a guzzeled a few Cold Beers before our next dive.... Not really , just seeing if your paying attention :lol:

Our Next trip down we did the fast track on a thing I call the
Bob Sled Run.

It's some sort of water control pipe line laid in concrete about 2 feet wide and it runs down the wall to ....:huh: Well... who knows... I still don't know. I do know where the concrete ends now though :wink:
I gotta say I was going down a bit quick. I was screwing with my gear , my light and just going in and out of different Vis. situations. First it was clear then 2 feet of vis. then clear. then 2 feet again. I felt like a kid on a out of control saucer flying down a hill after a big snow storm. All the while I'm just hitting the inflater button like crazy and it's not slowing me down. The concrete ends abruptly in the top of a tree :11: It just jumped up in the middle of the path. I didn't hit the tree but I had to have looked crazy as I wiped out trying not to. It scared the you know what out of me. Anyway... I dusted myself off and let Alan stop laughing at me and on down we went At about 95 feet the bottom contour levels off a bit compared to the Wall and offers a gradual incline covered in trees and a smooth silt bottom. We took it on down to about 110 feet. It looks sort of blue black. We were like a couple of Coon Hounds in the Woods. There was no straight path through the thicket but at least you could see well. It was super clear. The only particles in the water were the things we knocked off the branches we would hit.
The silt would explode when you just touched a tree like the whole thing was wired to detonate on contact. It was a marked contrast to the clear water. Our light beams would just go off into the black like pointing a flashlight up into the night sky of the wilderness.
We were both really cold, and no doubt why. It was our 3rd dive of the day and it was 48 degrees down there so we punched out and made our way back up slow and explored along the Wall again before returning to the cove to retrieve the dive flag weight. When we surfaced to our great surprise there were at least 10 speed boats. You know... the blown injected V8 type?? They had just surrounding our dive flag with out a care in the world. Wow.... and we didn't hear the rumble or even know they were there !!!! Thats just crazy! :confused:
I mean... I'm all about cool boats and sharing the lake so it didn't offend me all that much. I never like to surface near my dive flag anyway for just that reason.
"Dive Flags are Idiot Magnets" You would think that at least one of those folks would know that it's a $400.00 fine for encroaching within 150 feet of a dive flag. The Oklahoma High Way Patrol on the Lake has a couple of guys that dive and they like nothing better then to Tattoo people like that. No harm , No foul I guess :wink:

We dove near the Dam on Saturday Dive #1 took us North across the bottom at about 65 feet to a point we had navigated to. We surfaced to check our location. We hit the thing right on. Then it was West to find a really nice rocky wall area with some excellent water and some tasty looking Bass too. We kept it at about 30-40 feet most of the time since it was a long distance dive. We covered a lot of ground ( or water)

Our last dive sort of began as a trip to go out and follow along the Rip-Rap of the dam. We began by kicking out and found a silt bottom that seemed to just defy any sort of navigation technique a person might have. ( and I had done so well until then... )

Mountains of the Moon as seen from the window of a Apollo Lunar Lander. It would rise and then seem to fall off into these bottomless pits. They had bottoms at about 70 feet or so but from above they looked like black holes. Down we would go... fin for awile and rise up out of one and then down into another. After awhile I had no freaking idea where the heck we were. It was fun but it was lost fun :D So we came up and we were way the heck out in the middle of the lake. We took a heading on the dam , went back down and did a sprint over to the dam about 1/4 mile away. We followed it on back to the the dive flag and hit the goat trail back up to the cars.

28 hours... 6 cool dives... one heck of a time :14:

Now it really was time for a Beer !! :D

111' 62min 52f
93' 64m 50f
70' 73m 57f
70' 16m 52f eqpt. issue
62' 67m 57f
34' 44m 65f

Frank, what a wonderful recap,,,I was gripped to the reading of these 2 Ok. lake adventures ....then I remembered I was on the dives---what fun! I may ready for another trek to find those 'Sirens of the Deep'. :)

Timeliner:
28 hours... 6 cool dives... one heck of a time :14:
Excellent report Frank. Thanks for taking the time to give us the details.

Willie

Timeliner:
All the while I'm just hitting the inflater button like crazy and it's not slowing me down.

111' 62min 52f
93' 64m 50f
70' 73m 57f
70' 16m 52f eqpt. issue
62' 67m 57f
34' 44m 65f

Whew, Frank- sounds like you two had a blast! Awesome dive report, you should send it to be published! Donald and I camped at CSSP this weekend, and enjoyed ourselves in the fair-to-good vis.

Now, about this inflator button issue- why wasn't it slowing you down? I had that problem a couple of weekends ago at TSP, and found that it wasn't my imagination, that my power inflator was working about HALF the time (it started during the dive). I had to orally inflate on the surface. Evidently it was a quick fix, because Steve fixed it in a few minutes at CSSP on Sat.

Of course, I didn't use that BC that day- not because it wasn't repaired, but because I was wearing my NEW Mares BC and new silver tank. I love my BC because it fits my body very well, it's short waisted enough for me!

See ya soon. You coming to Trashfest? Alan? Anyone?

After reading the report by Frank and implicating Alan-:D is this site an alterative to Travis?

It is about the same traveling distance, I am guessing that getting a cabin would be semi cheap and there are places to eat at?

Minus the bean burritos and habanera hot sauce. That brings back bad memories of sitting in deco and realizing that you have a serious stomach problem and there is no way out until your clear deco. :jpshakehe

Right now to camp and dive at Windy Point is costing the average Joe diver $35.00 each to dive and stay at the park for the weekend. That cost could be put towards a cabin for the night.

Alan mentioned a local shop with membrane nitrox fills- that covers the breathing gas.
Does the site have many beach entries, and wall dives?

So Frank what does the area rank on the mountain goat scale of difficulty? Joking sir.:evil:

Sounds like something to try later this summer.

Andrew

Yep Andrew... I think you should give Broken Bow a try sometime.

OBTW.... I usually eat the Borittos with Habanero sauce on every dive SI. It's my favorite fuel :D Ask around it's true. :evil:
I was kidding about guzzeling down beers though :wink: Thats for afterwards

Foo ... I just got behind on hitting the "underwater breaks" and almost took out that tree. No equipment issue just a "loose nut" behind the inflater button

Timeliner:
... I just got behind on hitting the "underwater breaks" and almost took out that tree. No equipment issue just a "loose nut" behind the inflater button
Minimal momentum management. :)

I've had that problem on a descent before.

Willie

Timeliner:
OBTW.... I usually eat the Borittos with Habanero sauce on every dive SI. It's my favorite fuel :D Ask around it's true. :evil:

'tis true... we try not to dive behind him after SI's... suspicious bubbling activity!

Timeliner:
Foo ... I just got behind on hitting the "underwater breaks" and almost took out that tree. No equipment issue just a "loose nut" behind the inflater button

Okay, good- glad all is well. I was just experiencing a bit of deja vu when you mentioned the lack of stoppage. Although I didn't end up in a tree, I did end up in TSP mossy gunk... and you KNOW how I love yucky stuff touching me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom