British Splendor w/ Outer Banks Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RAD Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just on a whim I called Outer Banks Diving Outer Banks Diving to see if they were running on Saturday the 26th & they informed me they were, they always decide the sites on the morning of the dive to pick which 1 will be the best for the conditions that Mother Nature provides.
I have always said that you could run from Va. Beach to Hatteras dive & drive back that same day & this was my attempt to prove it.
We left my house at 4am & were back by 7:20pm, would have been earlier, but we stopped for a nice sit down dinner in Nags Head on the way back. I would have been back by 6:30pm had I been by myself & did a drive-thru fast food supper.
This day was a run to the British Splendor, a wreck I have yet to dive, but have heard some good things about so I was stoked.
When we were close we crossed out of the green water & into some seriously beautiful blue water. My expectations were growing. Sea conditions were rough, 3-4 fters minimum with wind blown whitecaps.
Jumping in that blue water was nice, been too long, but after 70 feet it was gone. Vis on the bottom was 15 feet, but water temp was 68 so not too bad. I ran a reel, not being familiar with the site & found a break in the wreck which I went into. Some large Grouper, Triggerfish & decent Seabass. Some other divers reported seeing 3 or 4 Sharks, but I was not 1 of the lucky ones.
102 feet max depth. Good dive.
2nd dive much the same, just ran the opposite side of the wreck, found 105 feet somewhere.
This was a very interesting site & will have to get back on it with some better vis.
If you have never dove with Johnny & Amy on the Flying Fish I would try it, it is the most comfortable dive boat out there, & I've been on them all around here, well except for JTs which I will be on this coming weekend. The Fish has a cabin that can accommodate all divers with all your gear up on deck. They also have an upper deck with bean bag chairs that be warned if you want to get anything done don't sit in 1 as you will be sleeping soon there after.
The crew also runs a grill during SI to cook anything you bring on board. The crew is very attentive to any of your needs or in my case leaves you alone if that is your wish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom