• LOL

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Laughing like a drain

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Not funny at all

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Jim once bubbled...
Lots of soldiers poncing around on a parade ground if I am not mistaken, Whoops two three....

I know the one you mean, but I think it was called Camp Square Bashing

Too bad thats one of the forgotten python sketches, I love it. "It's a dog's, er um Man's life in the army"

Irishdiver once bubbled...

Ahhh...Monty Python. Remember the spam song? And the dead parrot sketch? And the lumberjack song? And the 'Nudge, nudge, wink, wink' sketch? Priceless stuff! Nobody does it any more. More's the pity. :eek:ut:

Nobody does it any more???

Dude, what kind of TV do you get over there in the Emerald Isle?? Check out these for gut-renching laughter:

* Chewing the Fat (BBC 2)
* The Mark Thomas Comedy Product (Channel 4)
* Steve Coogan/Alan Partridge (BBC 2)
* The Day Today (BBC 2)
* Blue Jam (Channel 4)
* Brass Eye (Channel 4)
* The Office (BBC 2)
* Marion & Jeff (BBC 2)
* Peter Kelly (Channel 4)
* Ab Fab (BBC1)

Speaking of Ab Fab, that ojbect lesson in daintiness gone wrong, Rosanne Barr, bought the rights to do an Amercian version. Alas, it was deemed too rich (snorting coke, drinking vodka with Champaigne chasers at breakfast etc.) for the network's tastes and the whole venture was sh*t-canned never to see the light of day. One might have thought she'd have checked the "demographics" of her audience and, indeed, the medium through which she intended to pump same BEFORE going into bat with all that money. Ho-hum.

Unfortunately, the same thing happened to 'Men Behaving Badly' when that was bought to be made into a US version - too much sex and too much booze "for American tastes". Mind you, the TV station bosses making these decisions are the same guys that think 'Sex and the City' is a worth-while project! Go figure.......

From my time living in the US (Squaw Valley/Lake Tahoe, RPV in LA and Cocoa Beach in Florida), I seem to remeber that the only decent comedy to be found on TV was to be found on the 'Comedy Channel'.....a veritable oasis of amusement in an otherwise bland TV landscape. That said, 'SCRUBS' and 'Frasier' still amuse.

Oh, and that show 'Politically Incorrect' is NOT funny or incorrect - indeed, it's about as tame as a tame thing being caught being tame at a Tame Convention.

Safe diving all.

Scuba Jim once bubbled...
So you've seen the pictures of me and that sheep. Damn. A quick holiday in Wales, a few too many beers and I have to live with the shame of it for the rest of my life!

Acttually, this is all you need to know: http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python

I have it in my list of favourites, sad old git that I am!

Thanks for the link, humour at it's best!! Does anyone remember The Goodies? This show used to crack me up; I would race home from school on Wednesdays and Thursdays to catch it - that was 22 or 23 years ago.

But as far as the original joke on this tread, I’m going to tell my 6 year old, she’ll love it.

Thank you to everyone who participated..... the joke was infact one I received from an American colleague who said I would like it because it was British Dry Humour. All I did was change the manner of conversation.

I have to be honest I didn't find it that funny (and BTW I am a Monty Python fan and have been since 1969), I just wanted to show him that generally speaking this type of play on words is not considered to be typical British humour.:)

Aquamore

Thanks for your support

Bren Tierney once bubbled...

Nobody does it any more???

Dude, what kind of TV do you get over there in the Emerald Isle?? Check out these for gut-renching laughter:

* Chewing the Fat (BBC 2)
* The Mark Thomas Comedy Product (Channel 4)
* Steve Coogan/Alan Partridge (BBC 2)
* The Day Today (BBC 2)
* Blue Jam (Channel 4)
* Brass Eye (Channel 4)
* The Office (BBC 2)
* Marion & Jeff (BBC 2)
* Peter Kelly (Channel 4)
* Ab Fab (BBC1)

Speaking of Ab Fab, that ojbect lesson in daintiness gone wrong, Rosanne Barr, bought the rights to do an Amercian version. Alas, it was deemed too rich (snorting coke, drinking vodka with Champaigne chasers at breakfast etc.) for the network's tastes and the whole venture was sh*t-canned never to see the light of day. One might have thought she'd have checked the "demographics" of her audience and, indeed, the medium through which she intended to pump same BEFORE going into bat with all that money. Ho-hum.

Unfortunately, the same thing happened to 'Men Behaving Badly' when that was bought to be made into a US version - too much sex and too much booze "for American tastes". Mind you, the TV station bosses making these decisions are the same guys that think 'Sex and the City' is a worth-while project! Go figure.......

From my time living in the US (Squaw Valley/Lake Tahoe, RPV in LA and Cocoa Beach in Florida), I seem to remeber that the only decent comedy to be found on TV was to be found on the 'Comedy Channel'.....a veritable oasis of amusement in an otherwise bland TV landscape. That said, 'SCRUBS' and 'Frasier' still amuse.

Oh, and that show 'Politically Incorrect' is NOT funny or incorrect - indeed, it's about as tame as a tame thing being caught being tame at a Tame Convention.

Safe diving all.

Hiya Bren - I was wondering where you'd gotten to. I looked in on the YD site...looks like fun. Maybe we should organise an Irish forum in there.

As regards your list, I've got to agree that The Office is cringe-inducing stuff, beautifully observed, well acted and with supreme timing. I love Steve Coogan for the same reason. Brass Eye is razor sharp, but Ab Fab is Ab Flab and past its sell-by date. Sorry. I like Scrubs because it's blackly funny but Frasier is rather more cerebral. Haven't seen the rest so can't comment.

Nothing I have seen recently is as subversive as Monty Python - with the honourable exception of Ali G - Wikkid!. For my money, Monty was light years ahead of the pack at the time and still is. :eek:ut:

Irishdiver once bubbled...

Hiya Bren - I was wondering where you'd gotten to. I looked in on the YD site...looks like fun. Maybe we should organise an Irish forum in there.

[Bren wrote]: Please do mate. We've always got room (contrary to what 'Blazing Saddles' might have said :wink: ) for the Irish - me being from the same clay and all.

As regards your list, I've got to agree that The Office is cringe-inducing stuff, beautifully observed, well acted and with supreme timing. I love Steve Coogan for the same reason. Brass Eye is razor sharp, but Ab Fab is Ab Flab and past its sell-by date. Sorry. I like Scrubs because it's blackly funny but Frasier is rather more cerebral. Haven't seen the rest so can't comment.

Nothing I have seen recently is as subversive as Monty Python - with the honourable exception of Ali G - Wikkid!. For my money, Monty was light years ahead of the pack at the time and still is. :eek:ut:

With regards to your offer to start up the 'Paddies' branch of YD, please do mate. We've always got room (contrary to what 'Blazing Saddles' might have said ) for the Irish - me being from the same clay and all.

Got to agree with your last line mate.

And to the Canuck who likes 'The Goodies' - yes, absolutely staple watching when we were kids (I'm 37). But do you know, that that show/series has NEVER been repeated on TV since it was 1st shown - in the UK at least, can't speak for Canada.

Dive safe troops.

Problem with the play on words (the strength of the joke).
Most of the board members are N. American and you don't leave your car in a car park there. They're called parking lots. I often forget this when I go back that way and people look at me funny when I ask "is there a car park nearby?" They probably imagine motor vehicles on swings and seesaws.

Louie once bubbled...
Problem with the play on words (the strength of the joke).
Most of the board members are N. American and you don't leave your car in a car park there. They're called parking lots. I often forget this when I go back that way and people look at me funny when I ask "is there a car park nearby?" They probably imagine motor vehicles on swings and seesaws.

hey, I resemble that remark

:D =-) :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom