Bringing your own gear for an OW Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can see a need for the instructor to manage the situation but his should not be an issue.

With the 15 year hiatus I can see the shop requesting proof of recent service and reviewing it against current standards like having a power inflater and alternate second stage. Other than that in the interest of YOUR safety it only makes sense to be in the gear you formerly used and assuming this is so intend to continue diving. As a returning diver in particular I would challenge this assertion. Any suitable modern gear is substantially standardized that nobody's safety should be in question if the instructor is at all knowledgeable and adaptable.

If after 15 years you are thinking about replacing the gear after recertification then using the shop gear may be a means of sampling what's new if what they offer represents anything but well worn bottom shelf stuff.

Fundamentally I'd like to think they are trying to protect all concerned from a student showing up with unsafe gear bought used or dug up from the back of the garage. I have no doubt that in some cases the revenue stream is part of the equation.

The notion that you must be diving their gear 100% and that it must be purchased, not included or rented is way outside of normal practice.

You might choose to make this practice part of your instructor selection process.

Pete

Question:

Is this typical or just a tactic to get the students to buy gear from their shop?

It could be somewhat understandable if it's truly from a maintenance/safety standpoint. If that was the case, the shop should provide free (or nominal cost) use of their rental gear for the class.

If they are saying you can't use your own gear simply to force you to buy or pay significant money to rent their's then you need to find another LDS.

PM me with your address, I'll copy the test at work and send it to you. I am probably breaking copy right laws...

Yes, and copyright laws are federal laws. Putting the photocopy in the mail also kicks it up a notch in terms of using the mail in furtherance of a criminal endeavor.

Note, you will have probably have also violated some sort of company policy for using the copier at work to violate copyright laws. Language to the effect that a company leasing most business machines will prevent employees from using machines such as copiers, fax machines, scanners, etc for the purposes of violating copyright laws. If your company doesn't have such a policy expressly put in place they are probably violating their lease agreement on the machines.

Of course this happens all the time, but that doesn't make it right.

What about if bought new recently at another store (say, Scubapro)?
Offcourse the SP from my store would be better:D but hee New= New

Non-standard personal gear is a teaching opportunity. Not allowing a student to attend a class because the individual is in gear the shop doesn't sell is just wrong. In the states, claiming insurance is bull crap.

If I have a student show up in a Zeagle BC with an air two it becomes a teaching opportunity to show other students there are other systems out there, and this is how they work. Then let's see if I can earn this individuals business for the shop I am associated with.

TwoBit

I have no problem with a student using gear that they bring to class.As long as it is in safe ,working order and FITS properly.The gear used in the pool is included in the price of the course.Student is required to own set of mask/fins/snkl/..Usually its a student who borrows gear that is too small or too big for them to use that causes problems.

Thanks for the offer fisherdvm! I'll take you up on the offer for the class materials.

The reason for retaking the OW class instead of the reresher is that my girlfriend wants to get into diving with me so we decided to take the class together.

Thanks Again!

As for your post on the gear...
As part of the OW class, I was hopeing to be able to try out different gear to get an understanding of what's new and what works for me etc. My gear from 15 years ago was stolen (part of the reason for the lapse in dive time) and I am starting out from scratch. Unfortunately the LDS I'm taking the class from only sells one brand of gear (which seems to be the norm around here) and has a "once it gets wet, you own it" return policy.

Oh well, his loss not mine. I plan on purchasing all new gear within the next 3 months and with a limited gear selection and poor return policy why should I bother paying the extra bucks at my LDS vs LeisurePro?

Bill

Bill, read this recent thread about LDS & gear sales. Lots of good advice from scuba veterans.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...2043-how-much-lds-tells-me-can-i-believe.html

Question:
While taking a class, Is it typical for a LDS to not allow outside gear to be used durring the class?

I'm retaking my open water class (15 year gap in diving) and the isntructors are telling the class that, other than mask, fins, & snorkel, they cannot bring outside gear into the class unless it was purchased in their shop. When questioned on this the gave us a lame excuse saying that their insurance wouldn't cover them and that the instructors needed to be completely familiar with the gear in order to ensure our safety.

Is this typical or just a tactic to get the students to buy gear from their shop?

Bill,

I've had OW, AOW, IANTD EAN, and Drysuit training from several different shops, and none of them required me to buy gear from them. OW only required me to have my own mask, fins, and snorkel--they supplied the rest of the gear for the class. AOW, EAN, and drysuit required me to have a complete set of gear for the open water dives, but they didn't care where the gear came from, just as long as it functioned properly. The EAN class supplied the nitrox for their dives. The drysuit course supplied the drysuit for the drysuit dive. None of these required me to purchase gear from them to participate in their class. It sounds like a scare tactic to me. If they truly are concerned about having a standard gear configuration and insurance concerns, they should supply the gear as part of the course.

1. Could you identify the offending shop? I, for one, would like to know who is trying to force or scare people into buying their gear.

Ron

If after 15 years you are thinking about replacing the gear after recertification then using the shop gear may be a means of sampling what's new if what they offer represents anything but well worn bottom shelf stuff.

Pete

You didn't read all the posts. He eventually got around to telling us his gear was "stolen" and is the reason he stoped diving in the first place! :D

The notion that you must be diving their gear 100% and that it must be purchased, not included or rented is way outside of normal practice.

That's the part that's missing. There is no mention of rental gear or gear that is "provided" for the class. Certainly a shop that does OW classes has "class gear" right?

bill go to craigslist, great deal on womens scuba, you can out fit cheap, some stuff has not even seen water. If its used offer 1/10 the price and wait.

you can get it today if they agree on a price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom