Bringing your own gear for an OW Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the offer fisherdvm! I'll take you up on the offer for the class materials.

The reason for retaking the OW class instead of the reresher is that my girlfriend wants to get into diving with me so we decided to take the class together.

Thanks Again!

PM me with your address, I'll copy the test at work and send it to you. I am probably breaking copy right laws.... Heck, you can buy all kinds of tests on ebay (OW, rescue, DM, etc...)....

I've got a copy of the SSI OW student test if you want one. But your DM/instructor will usually give you one before you take the pool sessions.

If you want to pass the class the way it's intended, DON"T CHEAT. At a High School or College, students get expelled for possession of a test in advance, yet you think it's OK to do this for a class that certifies you to explore an alien environment!

Any DM/Instructor who gives students the exam in advance should be turned in for expulsion from the professional ranks! The class has been dumbed down enough; if you can't pass it without cheating, get an instructor who can teach!

It wasn't an intention for him to cheat. Our local SSI instructor (s) hands the test out to the students. I don't agree with this mentality, but it is the way how it is done. The test is for him to prepare for the refresher class, and feel confident about his knowledge. When I took the SSI refresher class, they gave me a copy of the exam to take as an open book test. When my son took his SSI OW course, it was also a take home test. But I made him take the test without referring to the book.

One thing I do like about all the PADI instructions I've received so far, is there has not been an open book test yet.

Again, remember, he is a certified diver. His decision to take an OW class or a refresher class is HIS decision to make HIMSELF a safer diver. Kudos to him.

In the same way, as PADI has gone with e-learning, we all have to trust any any test taking in front of the computer is done with or without an open book - right? It is alot to trust.

Thanks for the offer fisherdvm! I'll take you up on the offer for the class materials.

The reason for retaking the OW class instead of the reresher is that my girlfriend wants to get into diving with me so we decided to take the class together.

Thanks Again!

As for your post on the gear...
As part of the OW class, I was hopeing to be able to try out different gear to get an understanding of what's new and what works for me etc. My gear from 15 years ago was stolen (part of the reason for the lapse in dive time) and I am starting out from scratch. Unfortunately the LDS I'm taking the class from only sells one brand of gear (which seems to be the norm around here) and has a "once it gets wet, you own it" return policy.

Oh well, his loss not mine. I plan on purchasing all new gear within the next 3 months and with a limited gear selection and poor return policy why should I bother paying the extra bucks at my LDS vs LeisurePro?

Bill

Find another shop/instructor AND smile when you show them 2 brand new C Cards after you & your girlfriend get your new ones in........Tell them life is way too short to put up with lying, trashy people....

Oh well, his loss not mine. I plan on purchasing all new gear within the next 3 months and with a limited gear selection and poor return policy why should I bother paying the extra bucks at my LDS vs LeisurePro?

Bill

If you are going to go the internet way of buying your equipment, then go to ScubaToys. They are an authorized dealer of the equipment they sell, so the manufacturers warranty is valid and LDSs that are also authorized dealers will honor the warranty when they service your equipment. LeisurePro is NOT an authorized dealer in most of their equipment, so the warranty if not valid and will not be honored if you need it serviced from a LDS. ScubaToys have great prices and are GREAT people!

The PADI final is done in the classroom, not online.

Good for padi. If you have read my old posts, I've been leery about SSI, despite all the ardent SSI supporters out there. I've been objective about my criticism of SSI instruction and the quality of their book. The plusses of PADI is their book and pool instruction emphasize rote memorization (at least some instructor) of descent and ascent skills - emphasizing the 5 key points which included buddy, bottom time, clearing ear/ascent rate. SSI has it so scattered my son couldn't tell me what is required with a good descent or ascent. At no point in his pool or OW (done by 2 separate instructor) asked him to demonstrate checking time, bearing, or with his buddy before descent. PADI's book is in a good outline format emphasizing, where as SSI seems to mix important skills into fluff. Hopefully, they will correct this deficiency in future editions. No one is perfect, but hopefully we will all improve.

Vey strange for dive centres to reject personal gear. I guess if its an insurance matter, you have a choice of either changing dive centres or to live with the requirement.

Don't think it's that strange,my insurance company made it mandatory for me to service ALL school gear every 6 months(EU law).

Now a diver comes in with his own (old)gear witch might or might not be kept in good condition.During OW dive 3(?) there is a serious equipment failiure(god forbid)and he/she gets seriously injured.
Who do you think gets the blame :confused:
If bought new and very recently(at my store:D),no problem,otherwise please use the school gear during classes.

If bought new and very recently(at my store:D),no problem,otherwise please use the school gear during classes.

What about if bought new recently at another store (say, Scubapro)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom