Bringing your own gear for an OW Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I finished up the class this past weekend and finally got to the bottom of the gear issue after speaking to one of the managers of the shop. The instructor was wrong in telling me that I couldn't bring my own gear in to the class. Although they don’t encourage you to bring your own gear (unless you buy from them) their policy is that all outside gear needs to inspected by their shop prior to the start of class.
THANKS, for taking time to post the follow-up. It helps us to know the outcomes, not just the initial problem. And, as several others have also posted, the gear inspection policy makes sense. In a multi-person OW class, it is challenging to have to deal with individual gear issues, and keep things on track. We don't have a problem with someone bringing / using their own gear, but do request a chance to make sure it is in working order before the first pool session. But, for example, if someone brings a fully functional ScubaPro jacket BC or regulator (we are not a SP shop) to the course, it is not a problem. It would actually be more of a problem if someone decided to buy a brand new BP/W before the first pool session, and brought it (unassembled) with them to the first session without any prior orientation to it - not because the bp/w rig is difficult to set up, but because we would have to take class time (and the time of other students) to help them set it up and fit the harness that first time.

Our Instructors do require they use their gear for OW only. If they have their own gear, they asked that we use theirs for the training (included with price of class anyway). Everyone uses the same gear. If once they are certified and want to bring their own gear....thats fine.....the instructors dont have to worry about you teaching you about gear that not everyone is using in the class. they will go over it with them after the last OW dive if they wish. If it was just 1 student taking a class that would be fine, but when classes are 8-10 people, it can take a long time if each person has different types of equipment to go through each item while everyone else is waiting. After the class however, they can take the time needed to give that individual tutorial on their equipment.

I jut got done doing my pool dives, Between 1 and 2 I bought all of my own gear, Zeagle ranger, Dacor viper regs, Gekko computer, AL 80, and some other stuff. Not only did my LDS give me the best deal ever on everything i Got, they helped me get the BC trimmed properly and show me everything on the computer and so much more. It was really nice having my own gear that I now have ready to go for my open water dives next month. just my 2 cents. Nate

Ya just gotta remember 1 more thing about dive gear..........it don't do ya any good sitting in a closet. Go out and dive, try and get a dive in every month. I working on 5 years since gettting certified and have dove EVERY month (so far). No, I'd don't live where it's sunny and warm all the time. We get snow and ice around here.

Just go diving locally or support your LDS and go on some trips and see some beautiful sites underwater.

Unfortunately I also have experience with an LDS that exhibits some strange equipment requirements.

Upon enrolling in a basic OW course, you can use whatever personal gear you wish as long as you are prepared to ignore the occasional snide remark about "internet crap". No problem for me, but the thin skinned might take exception.

Next - after training in the pool exclusively on back-inflate/weight integrated gear, generally Knighthawks or the Seaquest equivalent (can't remember the model) - on the last day of class, students are informed that unless they purchase their own gear before the last class - they will be required to complete the open water portion with other, non-weight integrated gear (ie use a weight belt) since the LDS can't be sure that they will be able to rent weight integrated gear after certification. (This is no joke). Training with a weight belt is actually a good idea in my opinion, but thorough training is obviously not the objective here.

Next - it just so happens that the student discount for gear purchases expires at the end of the last pool session. After that it will be full price. A retail staff person will be on hand for extended hours on the last day so do not fear.

OK fine - A few students show up at the last pool session with their own newly purchased BCs (Knighthawks - same as used in training) purchased from a competing authorized reseller who undercut the price, not on-line, and are told that insurance will not allow them to be used in the pool. Later on the students are told that they will be allowed to use them after they have been "serviced" by the LDS technician for a nominal fee - which by them way could take a week or longer.

Now, I am not endowed with any special powers of discernment. I do not run an LDS so I am unfamiliar with their particular insurance restrictions. (I do run a business and am very familiar with obtaining Gen Liab, Workers Comp, and Umbrella policies). But this puts the LDS in a very bad light.

I purchased an expensive regulator from this LDS and recommended a friend of mine to go to them for his certification (which he did) although they were farther away than another dive shop reasoning that they had their own pool on-site and would be worth the drive.

But, they are making me look bad and on several occasions I have regretted recommending them to my friend. I have enjoyed the staff and instructors thoroughly and I believe they are genuinely good people. In some ways the shop has been extremely accommodating and helpful and I am always inclined to reward that attitude. But management's seeming vindictiveness toward students who do not purchase in the shop is definitely off-putting.

Ya just gotta remember 1 more thing about dive gear..........it don't do ya any good sitting in a closet. Go out and dive, try and get a dive in every month. I working on 5 years since gettting certified and have dove EVERY month (so far). No, I'd don't live where it's sunny and warm all the time. We get snow and ice around here.

Just go diving locally or support your LDS and go on some trips and see some beautiful sites underwater.

Yeah, Im already doing the drysuit class next month, and I am joining the local dive club. I plan to dive year round. I have been wanting to do this for 10 years and now that I can, I love it.

Find a new shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom