Bringing Back the Double Hose Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are in luck! Bryan Pennington of vintagedoublehose.com offer complete rebuilds of your unit. He is a true master of the art and is a super guy. I rebuild vintage single hose regs, and have been doing so for many years. I own two double hose regs that Bryan rebuilt, and his work is second to none.

Tell him that Greg Barlow sent ya'.......

BTW, is there a way to get LP off of the hooka to run the BC from a Royal Aquamaster?
Yep, just make up a hose & slap the critter on it.
The fitting for the hookah port is a standard O2 thread, you should be able to have an end crimped on a BC hose at your local welding repair joint.

You can also buy one from vintage scuba supply for approx $45.00.

I have an Aquamaster in good shape. Is there any problem using it with 3000 psi tanks. They were originally designed for use on the old 2200 psi tanks so I was wondering if the higher pressure was a problem.

DennisS:
I have an Aquamaster in good shape. Is there any problem using it with 3000 psi tanks. They were originally designed for use on the old 2200 psi tanks so I was wondering if the higher pressure was a problem.

Do NOT use 3,000 tanks on the older units. They are not designed for such pressures. If you want to carry out vintage dives then limit the pressures to a maximum amount of 2,300. The single stage models breathe easier as the pressure decreases. You Aquamaster is a two stage unit, so the IP remains more stable throughout the pressure variations. The last versions produced in the early 70's had a heavier yoke for the higher pressures, but I still don't recommend the higher tank pressures.

Greg

The U S Navy was using the older Da Navy and the later DA Aqua Master in the 50's and 60's on 3000 psi twin aluminum cylinders. It says so in the the 1959 and 1970 edition of the Navy diving manual. Any of the US Divers two stage two hose regulators can be used at 3000 psi. Do not use the single stage Mistral at 3000 psi as it will eventually damage the valve seat plus it will breathe hard until the pressure drops.

Captain

The 'Mistral' is back, but it cost Too much for me ( $900 to $1000.). I'am waiting for it to go on sale, or a closeout sale. It is not a true doublehose, but it looks cool anyway.

Truth be known, I bought one of the new Mistrals about 8 months ago. I did put a SeaCure mouthpiece on it though. It's only seen about eight dives, the last one in November in the Caymans.

I started my diving in 1969 with a single hose and didn't like them. Too much side pull. Got a Voit Trieste and diving was much more enjoyable, not to mention more quiet also. I loved that thing. Gave it to my wife's nephew about 10 years ago along with the rest of my gear as I had given up diving for about 30 years. Now I'm diving again and wish I had it back. He gave it all away.

Anyway, along comes this new Mistral and nastalgia kicks in, big time. I need to dive with it more. Like all double hoses it freeflows a lot when bobing around on the surface. It's taken a little time to relearn but just keeping it in my mouth cures a lot of problems. I think the biggest grief I have with it is that because the hoses are so large in diameter I had to pack about 2 more pounds of lead to offset the boyancy.

And for anyone in the know I paid $650 for it---new. I'm pretty sure the $900 version is the Limited Edition with the wooden box.

I forgot to say that I just saw a Trieste on EBay two weeks ago that went for $455. And I gave mine away. I could kick my arse.

Back
Top Bottom