Healthways Scubair back in the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubseaSports

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I picked up a Scubair regulator set a while ago with a set of 38's. I pretty much ignored it until recently as there aren't much parts available for it.

The first stage is still in the works as I am working on the HP diaphragm. I have made a couple of attempts to recreate, but I am not quite there yet.

First and foremost, the 2nd stage diaphragm is toast. I poked around and eventually found one that fits, albeit a different profile.
So now on to the rest. The LP seat was still a bit soft but with an obvious set. I chose to remove a bit of material (in a lathe) and see how that goes first before I attempt a complete new one. Came out well.
20220105_140845 (1).jpg

The exhaust valve was crunchy as well. This thing is small, so went to my bucket of collected snorkels and pulled one from there. The OEM stem is pretty thick so the stem hole in the reg is big. I made an adapter out of acetal with a lip on the reg side so it would be firmly in place with tension from the valve and not move around.
20220105_141216.jpg

Next issue is the double ended 3/8" hose that this thing uses. Thanks to another project, and XScuba, I used a 3/8" male to 9/16" male adapter and installed a conventional regulator hose.
This creates more problems as the depth of the adapter 3/8" side is shallower than the OEM hose. The LP seat conical spring relies on the face of the installed hose as a pressure point. So, I made a bushing (no picture) out of acetal to mimic this setup.
I had an old Scubapro 2nd mouthpiece that was near new and installed that. BTW does anyone know of a source for these smaller mouthpieces?
To keep this aesthetically pleasing, I made a exhaust valve access cap out of, guess what, acetal. It snaps in with a light tap from a plastic hammer.
20220105_132039.jpg

So, with the OE 1st not ready, I used an old Scubapro (MK 2 I believe?). I did a quick rebuild of that as it is in good shape. I wound up making an HP seat out of, nope not acetal, but HDPE.

Did a test at out of all places, Little River. It's my literal swimming hole and a few days before the test went for a swim and noticed how flooded but clear it was..time for a quick dive.
It breathes pretty good. Obviously no depth involved but so far so good. It did burp a bit sometimes when my head tilted to the left. I am thinking the lp spring may be week, maybe due to the diaphragm, or design issue. More things to test.
The chrome exhaust tee is what draws me to this thing.
20220510_093811-removebg-preview.png

Since this is a tilt valve, it is an upstream seat. Be sure to servicre the OPRV (overpressure relief valve), as that is critical to safe operation of any upstream/tilt valve regulator. If you need help rebuilding the OPRV, just say so. Fred Roberts, in his book Basic Scuba, went over how to recondition an OPRV.

I also have the original Scubair, and like it a lot.

SeaRat

Thank you for the heads up.
I am aware of the necessity of an opv for this design. This is part 1 of the rebuild process. The first I used was very stable and the dive was benign enough for me to do testing on the 2nd stage with the new diaphram and other changes.
The hp diaphragm is more of a challenge than the oe opv.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom