Bringing Back the Double Hose Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob3

Contributor
Reaction score
Every now & then the topic of double hose regs pops up, and I was wondering how many folks would actually buy a new production double hose reg assuming they were equipped with the extra HP & LP ports.
Double hose regs were being made up until about 4 - 5 years ago by Nemrod. They were even available in DIN configuration. Retail on the critters was around $650.
One of the biggest benefits of the 2-hose being the exhaust bubbles are out of the way for shutterbugging, makes that macro work so much easier.
They're also as freeze proof as a reg can get.
Last & definately not least is that they're verrrry cool looking. :wink:
So... everybody that wants one raise yer hand!

I dont think I would pay 650 for one when you can get almost any top of the line reg for that.

I'd buy a new one if the price were in the $400 range and if the committment were there to provide on going parts and service support.

As it is, there a lot of aftermarket parts are popping up to keep US Divers DA Aquamasters and their clones functional. A DA Aquamaster in great shape will run you around $400 so I suspect that kind of sets the price for a new double hose reg.

Assuming affordability, and parts availability to the end user, sure. I've got an AquaMaster in pieces awaiting a full overhaul before being returned to service for shore diving.

Are you talking about a 2 stage double hose reg?

U S Divers aka Aqua Lung America is supplying a new 2 hose regulator to the U S Navy at about $1000.00 each. It is called the Mentor and has HP and LP ports with an externally adjustable IP. Many of us who are involved with rebuilding and diving with the old regulators have been writing USD asking that it be made available to the sport diving community.
They are thinking of reintroducing a two hose and the 'issue' is constantly discussed and not dead.
It's up to us, write to them, they will listen and any way
they already have the product available!
The man to contact is Mr. Tom Philipp, Product Manager- Regulators, Aqua-Lung America, 2340 Cousteau Court,
Vista, CA 92083, USA. , or the less effective e-mail way,
tphilipp@aqualung.com.

...count me in! I have a number of refurbished twinhoses...including 3 Voit Triestes and a late model Nemros Snark III with HP and LP ports.......and a couple spare custom LP hoses from Vintage Scuba Supply that connect to the Aquamaster hooka ports too.

I too think they just look cool.......and since the Mentor is already in limited production, they have little to loose by widening the circulation to the diving public.....I'm sure a fair number of UW photographers would go for it at first, and with increased sales volumes, the retail price should drop significantly, widening it's appeal.

US Divers would need to make a parts/service commitment to the public, to reassure divers of long-term repair/maintainance support.

While I doubt the twinhose will ever again be mainstream, I think there's a sizable niche market waiting to be tapped...with little danger any other manufacturer will try to penetrate the market.

Karl

Are you talking about a 2 stage double hose reg?
Yep, that's the beastie.
... if the committment were there to provide on going parts and service support.
Yah, the innards should probably use common off-the-shelf parts from some already established regulator manufacturer's reg that hasn't changed much over the years, like US Divers, or maybe even Poseidon. :wink:
Lets see, $1000 US Navy dollars translates into how many civilian dollars, about $200? :eyebrow:
When I was in the Navy it used to constantly amaze me, going through the catalog & seeing a 10¢ bolt listed as costing $2.50. :rolleyes:

How many members of the HDS (Historical Diving Society) do we have on the board here, I wonder?

I would probably like to have one because the sound of the air leaving the second stage next to my face just about drives me crazy. It seems that it always manages to go right past my ears and distracts from the serenity of the dive with the "roaring" sound. I have dived with a double hose double stage reg back when the dinasaurs roamed the earth, Jaques Cousteau, Lloyd Bridges and me. :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom