Bring my own gear or rent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gunslinger808

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just wanted to get some feedback on how you divers in the Philippines haul your gear to all the wonderful destinations in your country. I just booked R/T airfare on AirPhilEX
and was only allowed 15 kilos in checked bag. I am pretty sure my dive bag loaded is over that. So I purchased the extra fees. Almost came out over half the price of full airfare. Is there a better way? A secret all you local divers know about. Of course I know about the ferry, but time is limited, so that option will have to wait for a time when I have more of it.
Of course all seasoned divers like myself will tell you that the tactile advantage of diving your own gear is priceless. It's a comfort/familiarity thing.
Any hu, I appreciate any wisdom I can gather from the more seasoned travellers. Mahalo and God Bless

:ar15:

I would usually bring just the very basic gear that I would use when I have to travel by air. I use a light weight bag so it wont add to the weight of the gear. Sometimes I also put my mask, booties & wetsuit (wetsuit is optional for me most of the time) with my hand carried backpack. full-foot fins would also help lessen the weight, or you may simply hand-carry your find with you.
you can also travel without the heavy walking shoes, flip flops will do. :wink:

Tiny baggage allowances + Huge excess baggage fees seem to have become the norm in Asia now.

If you travel a lot, it might be worth putting together a new kit configuration for travelling.

For example:
A lightweight BP&W, with non-metal backplate (for instance, an Oxycheq 18lb Mach V, with Ultra Lite Travel Plate and Hog harness).
A set of basic Mares footfins
A mask.
Dive computer (in hand luggage)
Your regulator set (in hand luggage)
Super-lightweight 4th Element Thermocline 2-piece neoprene free 'wetsuit'.

In total, it'll only add a few lbs to your checked-baggage....

The weight of the bag itself chews up a lot of your allowance. Get yourself a lightweight nylon hold-all.

this topic resurfaces every couple of months, I always recommend joining the pal frequent flyer program and purchasing the sportsmans plus package.flying PAL or pal express ends up being a good deal...

Depending on ur itenerary Inter-Island Ferries can be a great mode of traffic for example if you were making the CEBU.Bohol, Negros trip I would not consider any other way of travel..

Finally in my travels I have found the quality and condition of most rental gear to b fine (if not just go to the next biz).

I am off to Philippines tomorrow and packed my full kit in the check-in bag which weight in about 13kg. My hand carry is about 3kg.
The check-in soft bag weight less than 1 kg.
Equipment list:
BC, Apeks reg, Fins, booties, 3mm wet suit, vest with hood, thermal T-shirt, smb, spool and mask.
Never ever paid excess luggage or stuff excessive items in my hand carry. NO CHEATING.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom