Bridge debris from old Donald Ross Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Planning on going back out this afternnon....maybe 5-5:30ish....anyone interested?

Well, I spent the better part of my dive trying to kill 2 juvenille lionfish.
I did see one nurse shark and a few really nice sized green morray's
Surprisingly there aren't any bugs around.
Maybe the nurse sharks ate them all.

Spent yet another dive trying to kill lionfish...I think I might have been successful in taking out one of four that I saw this evening.
This is concerning to me.
They look so chill but are quick little F-ers when I make my move.

Can't believe you have four on that little spot.

What are you using on them?

I didn't go out there to look for them but they were there.
I wasn't prepared to hunt them. All I had were a Cressi Killer and a Wenoka Blackie Collins.
The Cressi is a little less robust so the Wenoka got the nod and did a pretty decent job.
Next time I go out, I'll be prepared for these lil b@stards.
I will definately take a lobster net with me next time out. Hopefully it'll be tight enough to contain them.
Once I get ahold of them, a 5lb lead weight or a skewer will do the trick.

My dad had a 4ft pole spear with a paralyzer tip somebody gave him. He gave it to me and I gave it to a friend in KW a couple years ago. Sounds like it could've been the ticket.

One of the guys I dive with occasionally made a little "pole spear" from a skewer and some bungee. He loops the bungee around his thumb, draws and shoots. Haven't seen it in action yet.

In another thread somebody mentioned using the barrel of a cheap pen and affixing a finger from a rubber glove over one end and inserting wood skewers and shooting them like a mini bow and arrow.

I see no less than 3 lionfish every time I dive this area.
This tells me there are ALOT of lionfish out there as I dive a different rockpile each time I go out.
I've been lucky enough to kill one with my knife but I'm going to work on a small homemade polespear.

I think it would be fun to go to the rockpile...but aren't you worried that some yahoo is going to run you over in his boat because he isn't paying attention? That has kept me from attempting any shore dives in the area (other than diving the reef along the shore south of the inlet.)

I haven't done the reef south of the inlet yet.
Could you PM me with specifics like where to park, entry point, etc?
That seems like an alternative to BHB.
BHB has been done to death.
I'll wait for the weather to change and go back there when the marine life changes as well.

As far as the debris pile.....there always seems to be at least a few boats out there snorkelling or fishing so I haven't had the misfortune of boaters or jet skiiers being stupid and running down my flag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom