Breathing from a 30ft. snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the biggest problem will be that air is compressable, so it's gonna take a lot of blowing to actually get the balloon to inflate. I'm not sure I have that much hot air. :D

It also looks as if about 5-6 psi is the max amount of pressure that can be overcome by blowing, with the average around 2-3 psi.

Think it's back to that "blow up a balloon with high resistance experiment."

Maybe we could put a balloon on a long tube and blow it up. Then put the balloon underwater and see how deep it has to be before we can no longer blow it up?

I might be able to try this later in my sisters pool.

at which point we are now the surface based compressor sending air down to the diver (balloon) and hearkening back to 19th century hard hat diving with tenders grinding away the hand cranks....

I think any way we try and cut it we either need a compressor or tank of already compressed air in order to overcome the pressure increase imposed by the differential in depth. ....

but as to the girlfriend issue recently raised.... I think THAT needs more research and empirical proving.

As I recall, we are not capable of keeping lungs inflated at that depth without having air delivered at ambient pressure. The muscles are not sufficient to expand your lungs and basically all of your air would be squeezed out with no way to draw a fresh breath in.

Correct.

We performed this experiment in nearly every class that I taught ("back in the day"). I added a snorkel mouthpiece to a section of 1/2" or 5/8" PVC (even added a reflective dive flag decal at the top to make it look real). After the class discussion on gas laws, we did a pool exercise where everyone got to try breathing off the snorkel while trying to "climb" down the pool ladder (under water portion of the ladder). It was good fun and drove home some of the stuff we covered in class. Never made it past the second rung.

Anyway, not a question you folks need to take too seriously, I was just curious how to figure the answer.
Bob

I haven't read the other responses yet but incase someone didn't give you the numbers.... at 33ft your body is under 1 bar of extra pressure.... that's 14.5 pounds per square inch.

I don't know for sure how much surface area your chest (and back) are but lets assume it's a 12 x 12 inches per side (front and back) or 144 square inches per side or 288 square inches.... times 14.5 pounds per square inch....

Just crunching the numbers briefly, with all that water pressing on you, breathing through a 33ft long snorkel would feel like trying to inhale with a 4000 pound weight on your chest.

give or take.

R..

I guess this crazy straw is out. :)

straws.jpg

That's a 6 inch straw. :D Six inches of vertical pressure you have to overcome.

Dang, Vondo...you beat me to it.

He's correct. The user of this straw has to do only enough work to raise the liquid about six inches. That's doable, even after accounting for the increased resistance due to fluid friction in the straw itself. If a person would only add another 90 degree connector and a one foot section of straw straight DOWN, the fluid will deliver itself with no effort(as in siphoning) once the straw is filled. However, lifting the fluid vertically another couple of feet would be MUCH more difficult, if not impossible.

Dang, Vondo...you beat me to it.

He's correct. The user of this straw has to do only enough work to raise the liquid about six inches. That's doable, even after accounting for the increased resistance due to fluid friction in the straw itself. If a person would only add another 90 degree connector and a one foot section of straw straight DOWN, the fluid will deliver itself with no effort(as in siphoning) once the straw is filled. However, lifting the fluid vertically another couple of feet would be MUCH more difficult, if not impossible.

Dang it! Another experiment! :shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom