Breathing from a 30ft. snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

siphoning uses gravity, not pressure.

R..

But you have to suck the fluid up to a point where you can then bend the hose over so that the outlet is below the fluid level.

Ergo, you have to get the fluid pretty much up the 6' hose first before you can let gravity take over.

It doesn't really matter where the bottom of the tank is...it only matters where the SURFACE of the fluid is in the tank. The "sucker" only has to expend energy to get the fluid (gasoline) over the highest point of the hose. As they say..."It's all downhill after that!"

I'm betting that for most people, using a half-inch hose, three feet would be about all they could muster.

So let's take this to the next level! How about putting a hand-cranked pump at the bottom of the snorkel to provide the air to the diver at pressure! I'm on my way to the patent shop! No really, it could work.

I'd be tempted to actually try this. But I'm gonna take a spare air with me in case I start choking and can't breathe at 5'.

I may be the first to ever use this phrase on scuba board so mark it on your calendar, but, YOU ARE GONNA' DIE!

:rofl3:

It doesn't really matter where the bottom of the tank is...it only matters where the SURFACE of the fluid is in the tank. The "sucker" only has to expend energy to get the fluid (gasoline) over the highest point of the hose. As they say..."It's all downhill after that!"

I'm betting that for most people, using a half-inch hose, three feet would be about all they could muster.

Also gasoline is only about 2/3 as heavy as water.

I propose a challenge! Y'all go out, procure a 1/2" inside diameter clear hose 6' long, mark the hose by feet and inches.

Stand on a chair, and hang the hose in a bucket full of water. Hose must be verticle. Suck up the water. Come back and report to us how far you were able to take it.

:popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom