Breath Holding and Photography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hold your breathe, but just keep your airway open.

Good point... of course I assumed this was clear, but you're right in making it so.

Many good points have already been made.

If you don't want to start diving a rebreather, breath holds are pretty much the only way you are going to shoot underwater.

Just remember, hovering and descending is fine --never hold your breath while ascending. As Dr. Bill mentioned, take a breath, release about a third of it, and then take your shot.

I try to compose and be ready for the shot before taking the breath I hold when I am on open circuit.

Jeff

Hold your breathe, but just keep your airway open.
Unfortunately, many divers don't understand the difference.

If your airway is closed at the back of your throat, as you do just before coughing, then pushing in on your gut won't force out any air. If you ascend in this condition, pressure builds up in your lungs and may cause serious injury or death.

If you are pausing your breathing by holding your lungs expanded using your chest muscles (but with the airway open) then pushing in on your gut will force out the air. If you ascend in this condition, the excess air simply expands out of the lungs and bubbles out through your regulator.

Interesting discussion everybody. I appreciate all of your thoughts and comments on the subject. From what I can tell, some of these things are sort of instinctual and learned on the fly, but I also like the idea of actively practicing buoyancy skills in a controlled environment.

I have noted the difference between holding with the diaphram versus the epiglottis.

I guess the most challenging situation for me is when I'm in the water column and it is difficult to detect if I'm ascending while "breath holding"/not breathing. That is probably where the experience and practice comes into play.

I have noted the difference between holding with the diaphram versus the epiglottis.

I guess the most challenging situation for me is when I'm in the water column and it is difficult to detect if I'm ascending while "breath holding"/not breathing.
Rather than worry about whether I'm ascending or not, I find it easier to simply never close my epiglottis.

Training myself, during normal diving, to always use my diaphram/chest to pause my breathing makes it less likely that I'll close the epiglottis (thereby closing the airway) in an emergency situation.

Rather than worry about whether I'm ascending or not, I find it easier to simply never close my epiglottis.

Training myself, during normal diving, to always use my diaphram/chest to pause my breathing makes it less likely that I'll close the epiglottis (thereby closing the airway) in an emergency situation.

Something I found helpful in learning to keep my airway open was to breath in/out very, very slowly (we're talking ridiculously slow) instead of actually holding my breathe. It forces you to keep your airway open and the increase/decrease in air volume is too small to make a difference. It's good for teaching you what it feel like to keep your airway open.

Nice suggestions, I'll definately take those to heart. It really makes sense that the goal is to never close your airway off, and instead slow or pause your breathing while keeping it open. I'll just have to think about it while diving and make sure that method becomes my habit.

I guess the most challenging situation for me is when I'm in the water column and it is difficult to detect if I'm ascending while "breath holding"/not breathing. That is probably where the experience and practice comes into play.

If you're focusing on a subject with your camera, you'll know you're rising in the water column.

I think doing yoga and pilates has helped me with breath holding technique. It would take a conscious effort on my part to close my epiglottis.

Instructors teach everyone not to hold their breath (or, always breathe) in order to prevent an incident while diving (many number of "incidents" come to mind). That said, I have noticed during some 12,000+ photo shots (and several hours of video shooting...), there are times when I do hold my breath in order to get the shot...

I hold my breath for a few seconds in order to stay in the same position. Boyle's and Charles' law would indicate that is acceptable (no, I don't fill my lungs)... It is one of the decisions the individual experienced diver must make... how... when...

I am not breathing for photo shots as well, but I am instinctively at the end of an exhale when I do.

Rachel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom