Breakdown regulator for travel?

Do you break down your regulator for travel?

• Yes

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • No

Votes: 64 83.1%
  • No, and you're a bad person for asking

Votes: 5 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the whole idea of dissembling for travel is a waste of time. My only point was that IF op decided to do that, having a little built-in reminder of how to put it back together never hurts. If it's not needed, great.

But, how many times have you watched newish divers puzzle over which orientation an already-assembled first stage should go on a tank valve? Something far more basic. Yes, they should know, but they forget or get confused or whatever. Then, after a false start or two, they figure it out.

I am not disagreeing with you and have helped many a newbie out. However, unless the OP is diving in the middle of nowhere there is probably someone to help him out.

Whether it is a waste or not is for the OP to decide. In the US we are spoiled, even though we complain about the baggage allowance in other parts of the world it is much worse. Smaller weight and size limits with airlines that actually enforce them, especially if you fly the budget airlines.

Some international carriers won't play the "gate check" game. They weigh your carry-on at the check-in counter and put a tag on it that says something like "Approved Cabin Baggage." That way there is space in the overhead for every passenger's carry-on. I agree with @ams511 that US carriers are usually more lenient than elsewhere in the world.

The Feds? Do you mean the CIA or FBI? Because neither FAA or TSA care. This is strictly an airline policy. Different airlines have different size restrictions. The IATA proposed international standard is 55cm x 35cm x 20cm ( approx 21.5in x 13.8in x 7.8in).

I thought it was TSA but, like you said, it appears to be an individual choice by each airline. I don't think I imagined it, but if I did they may start adding more items to the "existing conditions" on the dive op forms.

I did the one time I flew to a diving destination. The hoses went in the checked baggage the 1st 2nd stages and console went in the carry-on. Since I don't fly anymore I just put in the bag and stow in the trunk of the car. I have considered shipping some of my gear to a destination but I'm concerned I'll get there before the gear does!

No I don't break them down. Mine packed pretty small in a reg bag (along with a dive computer, backup DC & save a dive kit (admittedly they only just all fit).

Breaking it down just means that there is a chance of damaged O-rings and having to spend time reassembling them at the other end.

I do and also carry spare O-rings just in case.
I have yet to come across any dive operator that do not have adjustable spanner and 5mm allen key.

Back
Top Bottom