Breakdown regulator for travel?

Do you break down your regulator for travel?

• Yes

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • No

Votes: 64 83.1%
  • No, and you're a bad person for asking

Votes: 5 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a post with some pictures a while back using a VDH flat plate and it works as well with my Freedom Plate.

The main advantage is bulk, the backplate has straps why pack it into another bag with straps. The dry bag is a 10 l that I bought in Thailand but you can find them on Amazon. I find airlines ignore anything you wear as far as reasonable bulk goes with the exception of some Asian carriers who weigh carry on stuff.
Understood.
That last part seems to be why some people take the first stages off the hoses, not because things pack better in luggage or carry on, but because the first stages can go into pants or jacket pockets so as to not contribute to the weight of the carryon. I may end up having to test this this winter as I prefer all my essential gear with me (over arriving with essential gear in the luggage that is elsewhere) ... and carry on weight limits put quite a damper on how I usually pack...

Wait, who did just do that? What is the new size?

My understanding is the feds did it. Some airlines used to allow up to 24" X 16" X 10" but now it appears to be 22" X 14" X 9" nationwide (USA). That includes the legs and wheels. Be aware that airlines can still have their own restrictions and some will only allow smaller carry-on suitcases. SouthWest still allows up to 50 pounds but I've never had them weigh my carry-ons, only my checked bags but other airlines have lower weight limits.

I would love to link the web site that I read this all on but I can't seem to find it at the moment. We were informed by Alaska Airlines of the changes in May this year and when I looked it up it was verified.

@giffenk & @JamesBon92007
We are good with the 22" even 21" as all our carryon size backpacks are squishable as / if need be. Traveling internationally I never planned on the (now old) 24". I just had the worry reading @JamesBon92007 's original post about carryon sizes having just changed that now it's even smaller. That seems not to be the case.. Thanks for your replies...
Weight is a tough nut with some airlines so...

My understanding is the feds did it. Some airlines used to allow up to 24" X 16" X 10" but now it appears to be 22" X 14" X 9" nationwide .
The Feds? Do you mean the CIA or FBI? Because neither FAA or TSA care. This is strictly an airline policy. Different airlines have different size restrictions. The IATA proposed international standard is 55cm x 35cm x 20cm ( approx 21.5in x 13.8in x 7.8in).

The Feds? Do you mean the CIA or FBI? Because neither FAA or TSA care. This is strictly an airline policy. Different airlines have different size restrictions. The IATA proposed international standard is 55cm x 35cm x 20cm ( approx 21.5in x 13.8in x 7.8in).
They will keep shrinking the size until people just pay the baggage fee.

They will keep shrinking the size until people just pay the baggage fee.
The smart ones play the "gate check" game. Gets you a free checked bag.

You drag your stuffed carry on to the gate and then let them "check it for free" to your destination. It goes into the luggage hold and will show up on the baggage carousel along with the checked bags. You do not have to drag it on the plane, try to find a spot to stow it and then drag it off the plane.

On our trip last week United did this for all 4 of our flights. There is not enough room for everyone to bring a carry on. The last half dozen people boarding the plane were forced to gate check their carry ons as they boarded since all of the overheads were already full.

...until people just pay the baggage fee.

... but, it is still the case that the only luggage you have direct control over is carry-on, personal bag and what is on you in pockets.

Checked luggage is great, if:

- whoever looks into actually puts everything back in, packaged, wrapped, organized and protected as they gound it

- the items actually are allowed in checked luggage (i.e. lithium ion batteries)

- the checked luggage actually arrives intact, at the same airport, at the same time in the same airplane.... but:
Many carriers now expect you to pick it up from the destinstion airport and it is up to you how you get it from there. If that airport was just an interim stop and you travelled on with another booking, possibly another airline and your luggage does not make it, good luck getting it at all...)

Because neither FAA or TSA care.

I had a TSA agent that would not let me enter the baggage screening line until I zipped my expandable bag down. Somehow the extra 2" offended her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom