Breakdown regulator for travel?

Do you break down your regulator for travel?

• Yes

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • No

Votes: 64 83.1%
  • No, and you're a bad person for asking

Votes: 5 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never been asked to remove my regs for inspection and I know they see rougher treatment with day to day diving so I just wrap my regs in my wetsuit and put it on top of my BCD in my carry on. No special care or bag needed.

Google Amazon for packing cubes. I've not found any need for padded regulator bags. They add a ton of bulk and weight for no good reason.

I don't use a regulator bag to protect my regs from stuff, I use it to protect my stuff from the regs! A chunk of solid machined brass doesn't take much to break something given a couple inches to move and some sudden acceleration.

I don't use a regulator bag to protect my regs from stuff, I use it to protect my stuff from the regs! A chunk of solid machined brass doesn't take much to break something given a couple inches to move and some sudden acceleration.

I just make sure to pack the champagne flutes and nitroglycerin in a different bag.

Back when I used to have to reconfigure the same sets of regs when going between singles, doubles and sidemount (now I have more gear), I used to have to move hoses around a lot. In addition to taking some cell phone snaps, get some port plugs of contrasting finish. If you remove hoses from say a black finished first stage, use chromed port plugs to temporarily fill the ports. When you arrive and reassemble you'll spend less time puzzling over which ports you had the hoses in. Particularly helpful if you have multiple first stages that are configured differently.

I understand why you do this, but I think It would be easier for the OP to just put the second stage in a heavy Ziploc and then wrap something around the first stage to protect it and other items in the case. He should know the inflator and SPG come out of one side and the regs come out of the other.

I understand why you do this, but I think It would be easier for the OP to just put the second stage in a heavy Ziploc and then wrap something around the first stage to protect it and other items in the case. He should know the inflator and SPG come out of one side and the regs come out of the other.

I think the whole idea of dissembling for travel is a waste of time. My only point was that IF op decided to do that, having a little built-in reminder of how to put it back together never hurts. If it's not needed, great.

But, how many times have you watched newish divers puzzle over which orientation an already-assembled first stage should go on a tank valve? Something far more basic. Yes, they should know, but they forget or get confused or whatever. Then, after a false start or two, they figure it out.

Always break mine down, put the first in a ziplock bagso I don’t need to plug ports, coil the hoses and it all fits into a small box that a small flashlight came it. Recently went to Truk, the airline decided to not bother loading out gear for the last leg of the flight, had my ST1, a pair of go fins and one of my computers in the carry on, should have had one of my masks too but had most of the essential stuff to dive the two days it took for them to find space for my stuff.

Normally I pack all of my tropical gear into a dry bag and attack that to my backplate and wear it, should have done it on that trip too.

... Normally I pack all of my tropical gear into a dry bag and attack that to my backplate and wear it, should have done it on that trip too.
Intrigued, ... should I read this as in you wear your BP with attached dry bag (with stuff in it) like a carryon backpack?
If so, what do you find are the advantages over putting the BP & stuff into a carry-on backpack? Weight?

We have reg bags that will easily fit two regs when broken down so they lay flat. It is not any big deal to remove the hoses from the reg and attach them on sight. I do not bother with port plugs or sealing the regs. Having both regs in one bag cuts down on wasted space. We usually toss our SMBs in as well. We do this for our rec reg kit and doubles/deco kit. Simple as it takes all of 5 minutes to assemble and dissemble both.

Intrigued, ... should I read this as in you wear your BP with attached dry bag (with stuff in it) like a carryon backpack?
If so, what do you find are the advantages over putting the BP & stuff into a carry-on backpack? Weight?
I did a post with some pictures a while back using a VDH flat plate and it works as well with my Freedom Plate.

The main advantage is bulk, the backplate has straps why pack it into another bag with straps. The dry bag is a 10 l that I bought in Thailand but you can find them on Amazon. I find airlines ignore anything you wear as far as reasonable bulk goes with the exception of some Asian carriers who weigh carry on stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom