Brand New Divemaster, need a suggestion as to a BC for work and play!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know many of the shops around here also want their DM's and Instructors wearing the gear they sell. I would wait so you don't have to buy twice and also because your new shop might offer you discounts not currently available to you. As for my personal choice in BC's, that would be a Zeagle. They weren't on your list but most on ScubaBoard would agree they are very well made BC's. I dive the Brigade.

This you might find interesting and one reason we use the Oceanics for Rental....this is also why they dont fade in the pool....the plastic threading they use is black ....so it doesnt fade as much.....heres a link

http://oceanicww.com/pdf/bc_construction.pdf

H2Andy:
JeffG is ... you know ....

jesting

just thought i'd clear that up before blood is shed
Well...Your no fun. See if I ever invite you to parties.

The shop I work for wants me to use the stuff the students use. I save my personal BC (and everything else) for the vacations and fun diving.

Scuba-jay , good to see you one here , i'm sure you will get a lot better info than on myspace. Get what your shop sells for teaching and a BP/w for everything else. Look into what the shop sells , good chance one of there brands will offer a BP/w.

BTW glad you didnt mention getting a HUB on this board like you did on myspace.

terrasmak:
Get what your shop sells for teaching and a BP/w for everything else. Look into what the shop sells , good chance one of there brands will offer a BP/w.
What manufacturer and Model BP/w do you recommend? And what sort of cost range would it be in?
Some links to compare models would be groovy.

Mafiaman:
What manufacturer and Model BP/w do you recommend? And what sort of cost range would it be in?
Some links to compare models would be groovy.
So long as the slots have "finished" edges that won't shred your webbing, the manufacturer of a plate isn't particularly significant. Even plates from the same "brand" are often made by different manufacturers, and can vary widely in quality. I've seen an order from one well known brand arrive at an LDS with backplates that were clearly made by no less than three different fabricators... all the same model according to the order. Rather than concentrating on brand, focus on the quality of the specific plate you're looking at. Make sure it has no sharp edges, that there are cam band slots and accessory mounting holes if you want them, and that it's made out of the metal you want. Who put their sticker on it is pretty meaningless, unless you're looking at a plate that has noticable differences like the DSS or Armadillo. I've seen cost ranges for a stainless steel plate in the $65 to $150 range. Shop around. AFAIK, Hammerhead, Golem, and DSS all have good retail price points.

Asking for a brand recommendation for a backplate is like asking for a brand recommendation for a spoon. They aren't all the same, but they aren't all that different. I have one that's powder coated steel with the manufacturer's logo cut into it, and my buddy has one that's unfinished stainless with cam slots. If we traded plates, I doubt we'd notice any difference.

I have something I wrote up a while ago that compares different single tank wings. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send it to you.

A BP/W rig would definately be something I'd recommend trying out before you make a decision (especially if you've already tried a HUB!), but as I said before I'd look at getting something you'll enjoy diving in and not worry about getting a teaching rig until you know who you'll be teaching for, what their gear policy is, and if they offer a key-man discount.

Matt, Although your reply was very wordy it won't help any one who is for the first time learning about BP/w if you google it here is what you get.
Results 1 - 10 of about 182,000 for bp/w.

Your spoon analogy over simplifies things a bit, much like asking "what type of vehicle should I use to cross the dessert" and your reply would be, drive a truck.

I'm asking Maker/Model/Configuration as well as cost effectiveness, isn't the actual plate only one part in the cost, and the smallest one..

Mafiaman:
Matt, Although your reply was very wordy it won't help any one who is for the first time learning about BP/w if you google it here is what you get.
Results 1 - 10 of about 182,000 for bp/w.

Your spoon analogy over simplifies things a bit, much like asking "what type of vehicle should I use to cross the dessert" and your reply would be, drive a truck.

I'm asking Maker/Model/Configuration as well as cost effectiveness, isn't the actual plate only one part in the cost, and the smallest one..
Let's not turn this into yet another hijack about BP/W. That isn't what the original post was asking about. If you want to start a thread about the pros and cons of different BP/W, I'll be happy to go on at length there.

MSilvia:
Let's not turn this into yet another hijack about BP/W. That isn't what the original post was asking about. .

That is exactly right!

I use a Oceanic Probe, and have found it not only functional but it looks professional enough to help new divers feel secure, but not so much unlike the BCD's they are using to make them feel inferior.

Back
Top Bottom