Brand New Divemaster, need a suggestion as to a BC for work and play!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the Oceanic Prob,

Scuba-Jay:
As such i dont know what type of gear the shop will be pushing, but im soo sick of my TUSA i want out now and into some better gear!!!
I'd focus on something you want for your own enjoyment then, and treat training in it as a secondary consideration. The last thing you want to do is drop a bunch of money on gear you consider to be ideal for teaching, only to find a job that insists you teach in gear they sell instead.

Good point Matt, where I got certified the sold and taught in the gear they had, and swore it was the best.

Get a BP/W

JeffG:
Get a BP/W

Could have seen that one coming!

Try different BCs, different styles and settle on what you like best.

I have used the probe for over two years now to assist with classes and for general recreational diving. I have over 150 hours in the pool on mine and maybe it's our pool or the fact I rinse after every session but mine shows no signs of fading. The reflective trim is a little worn but with the pool and over 120 dives in fresh and salt water I'd say that's pretty good. I have the generation probe preceding the the lx and the only difference is the pockets have been redesigned, and the d-rings a little smaller but at least they put the left one back on. I would recommend this for DM work. It is a little on the bulky side for travel, I usually ship mine ahead if flying but that is no longer an issue since I've gone to a DSS BPW for my non assisting use and fun dives. I also will use it on ow dives just to give students an idea that there are things other than jackets out there. The probe is a rugged no nonsense bc but I'm also making the transition to tech and doubles which is why I mainly dive the BPW now. If it were not for this I'd still be using the probe exclusively.

JeffG:
Get a BP/W
What manufacture, and model do you recommend?
And what price range would it be in?

JeffG is ... you know ....

jesting

just thought i'd clear that up before blood is shed

Of the ones you mentioned, the probe seems to be the most popular around here. Pools are tough on BC's, so I'd recommend one just for the pool. Whatever you choose, make sure you enjoy diving it. Discomfort can be read as nervousness by students.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom