Brand New Divemaster, need a suggestion as to a BC for work and play!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Jay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi guys,

brand new to the forums here, but now ive found it i plan on being a regular contributor!! Alright so here's my query: I am a brand new DiveMaster (got my cert in the end of Nov) and my plan now is to head out into the deep blue future and start work either as a divemaster or OWSI (once i complete my IDC). Im still diving on a back inflate TUSA, which is horrible, and can't wait to get rid of it. I spent all of last year in Afghanistan, and saved all my money for this endevor, so after my DM and the IDC I'll still have a good chunk of cheese to spend on a new set of gear. So my question to the forum is, what BC (design, manifacturer or specific unit) is ideal for both work and play? What do I need to look for in a BC that i will be teaching / guiding in? Lots of Pockets? Intergrated weights or not? full body or slightly less cumbersom? Is there a BC that is great for teaching, but is also great if i just want to go out and get wet on a recreational basis? Id heard about the air trim system, but im thinking maybe that i shouldn't have something like that when my students won't, thus complicating their training? In other words....

WHICH BC???

I've been looking at the Mares Dragon (AT or not)
Cressi 116
Oceanic probe LX

As you can see im somewhat accross the board right now when trying to make this desision. This is gear that i plan on keeping for a good while, so it needs to be the right choice, especially as once you buy it and dive with it you can't return it!!

Im going to post this same email (different question) on the 1st stage / regulator forum to try and get some advise on that also. Thanks soo much for your help and i look forward to hearing your thoughts!!

Thanks,

Scuba-Jay
Jordan

Just remember . . . the chlorine in the pools is going to make quick work on any of them, so you may want to invest in something you use in the pool and then something you use elsewhere.

the K

If you are going to be working through a shop you might want to discuss it with the owner and instructors there.

And as the Kraken mentioned, the pool will likely wreck havoc on the material, so a second BC for pool work is quite common.

i dove the Probe and loved it

(unfortunate name, though ... my wife teased me mercislessly: don't forget to get your probe before you leave, honey)

The shop might provide you with a BC for the pool...we have some the instructors can use if they want.....but defin. check with your store to see if they want you to wear what you sell...most likely they will.....

Mike

the problem is I have no "store" yet. Im spending days and nights researching and contacting various dive shops around the world, but few are willing to take on a new DM, even as an intern which is what im willing to do. As such i dont know what type of gear the shop will be pushing, but im soo sick of my TUSA i want out now and into some better gear!!!

I use the SeaQuest ProQD. I've tried on a variety of different BCs, and have yet to find one that comes anywhere close with regards to comfort (there is soo much padding, you don't feel the tank/tank support on your back), weight capacity (total of 42 lbs - great with a drysuit), big pockets, plenty of metal D-rings, really well trimmed underwater. I got mine in the spring, put about 80 dives on it, and it could still pass as new.

ALso, keep the TUSA for the pool. I have my crappy old Oceanic I use so I don't worry about fading.

Just my 2 cts.

Don't go for any thing lijke a air trim unless the shop teaches with them.:huh:
The Cressi is a nice bc but has a very flimsy inflator.:shakehead
I use the Oceanic ocean pro fx a very ridged bc that can stand some abuse:D
The probe is made form the same stuff so it also can take some beating:D

take care and good diving

Back
Top Bottom