Brand New Compressor - Air Test?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
rhwestfall

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, after much consideration, I am not attempting further investment in repairs into my very old compressor. When I first got it, I had an air test performed to verify the condition of the compressor. I now have a brand new one on order. The question is, "does one have the air tested on a brand new compressor?".

Is there commonly a supplied test with a new unit?

TIA

air testing is typically not done by the compressor company and the customers typically have agreements with the testing companies so I would be surprised if a new unit came with one but could always be surprised.

The manuals usually call for some sort of "run in" type period with all the valves open to let the unit spin up a bit, typically 10mins or so then you're good to go. If it makes you feel better to send off after that run in period then go for it, but if it is a brand new unit from a reputable manufacturer with new cartridges then I would send off for testing at the end of the first filter.

Not commonly supplied with unit (to my understanding) but I would recommend doing a air quality test at the end of your filter life.

You want to in theory see the worst possible quality air that your compressor will produce at the predicted end of your filter life.

Most compressors meet Grade E (or even Modified Grade E) out of the box.

I've used Lawrence Factor (FilterTechs) and Trace Analytics (airchecklab.com)

Not commonly supplied with unit (to my understanding) but I would recommend doing a air quality test at the end of your filter life.

You want to in theory see the worst possible quality air that your compressor will produce at the predicted end of your filter life.

Most compressors meet Grade E (or even Modified Grade E) out of the box.
Most bicycle pumps meet Grade E out of the box. Grade E is a pretty low bar to meet as a goal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom