Brand Advice for BCD/Regulators/Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubNeo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all,
I'm new to scuba, just finished my open water this past weekend. I am mostly just looking for brand advice (recommended brands, ones to avoid, etc.) for BCD/Regulator/Tank/Computer selection. My open water was conducted with a Zeagle back-style BCD, a Mares Regulator (and then Scubapro when the Mares started free-flowing during my first actual non-pool dive), and (I think) a Mares 3 gauge SPG. Any thoughts on what brands stand out? I intend to stay recreational and have already planned enough use to argue for buying my own equipment.

(Side question, eardrums being sore is normal or at least not a concern right? I unfortunately had an instructor that didn't really explain equalizing well in the classroom, and as a result I didn't get it right at the pool. I figured out a backup method in Toynbee, but this only worked as long as I was able to swallow "something" whether it be a tidbit of water or my own saliva. At 40ft on my open water checkout my ears were feeling the pressure (no pain, just mild discomfort), but I was able to keep ascending 5ft and getting Toynbee to work. But I also brought a lot of water back up on-deck in my ears. XD)

1. Slow descent and equalize when necessary. If fail, ascent few feet and try again. Your own comfort is the BOSS.
2. No 3 gauges consort, it is too bulky. A lot of divers are diving with a spg only. The depth is being taken care of by the computer.
3. If you are happy with back inflated bc then you should have no problem with this one:

DGX Custom - DGX Gears Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package

It is not normal to have sore eardrums. Start equalizing at the surface and continue every couple of feet until you get to around 20' and then every few feet until around 40' and then as needed. If you can't equalize at some point, ascend a bit and try again. Do not let anyone rush you through the descent.

As to gear... Leave the tanks until you are sure what kind of diving you are going to be doing and how often you are going.

For instruments, most experienced divers these days end up with a wrist-mounted computer. The computer can either be air-integrated (AI) with a wireless transmitter for the tank or not in which case you'll use an SPG on a hose that is clipped to a hip or chest D-ring. The AI computers are a lot more expensive and slightly more finicky in that you have to watch the battery and be a little careful with the transmitter. But you get rid of a hose and have all the info in one place. Shearwater is the gold standard for computers, but they start at $500 for non-AI and $1000 for AI. You can get all the functionality you need for a lot less from Mares, Oceanic or AquaLung, but you give up the Shearwater's best-in-class display and user interface. I'm not a huge fan of Cressi or Suunto, but their entry-level computers are fine.

Regulators depends on whether you have a relationship with a particular dive shop. The truth is that all properly tuned mid-range and up regs will handle anything you can throw at them, so it's more about price and servicing convenience. If you will be going to one shop regularly for air fills or just to hang out, then you should probably go with something they sell and service. If you aren't going to be diving locally, then I'd look at Deep 6 or HOG, especially if you think you may be interested in servicing your own regs at some point. What's your situation?

Finally, the BCD. Is there a way for you to try out a backplate and wing (BP/W) setup? Many of us started in jackets or back-inflate BCDs and migrated to the BP/W and couldn't be happier. They are cheaper then most BCDs, more reliable/durable, and IMO more comfortable in the water.

Hey all,
I'm new to scuba, just finished my open water this past weekend. I am mostly just looking for brand advice (recommended brands, ones to avoid, etc.) for BCD/Regulator/Tank/Computer selection. My open water was conducted with a Zeagle back-style BCD, a Mares Regulator (and then Scubapro when the Mares started free-flowing during my first actual non-pool dive), and (I think) a Mares 3 gauge SPG. Any thoughts on what brands stand out? I intend to stay recreational and have already planned enough use to argue for buying my own equipment.
First question is what did you think of the gear? If you liked it, and you liked the shop, then there is nothing wrong with it. Key thing with most gear is to get gear that you can get serviced near you, so location is critical.

I dive mostly Zeagle gear. Zeagle BC, Zeagle regulator. Shearwater computer, though my daughters each have Oceanic computers.

For regulators, ask the shop how many different service kits a particular brand uses. Low number is better. Zeagle, Atomic, and others use the same service kit across their line. That way, you can be reasonably assured that the regulator will still be able to be serviced even if it’s no longer sold.

(Side question, eardrums being sore is normal or at least not a concern right? I unfortunately had an instructor that didn't really explain equalizing well in the classroom, and as a result I didn't get it right at the pool. I figured out a backup method in Toynbee, but this only worked as long as I was able to swallow "something" whether it be a tidbit of water or my own saliva. At 40ft on my open water checkout my ears were feeling the pressure (no pain, just mild discomfort), but I was able to keep ascending 5ft and getting Toynbee to work. But I also brought a lot of water back up on-deck in my ears. XD)
I wouldn’t say that this is normal, but it’s not uncommon. Especially for new divers. Most people (that aren’t diving) don’t really need to equalize very often. Before your next dive, make it a point to equalize in the days before you dive. This is like stretching to make it easier during the dive.

On descent, equalize before you need to. Early and often. If you are feeling pressure, your ears are not equalized. Pressure difference is probably not great enough for any pain, but since you are feeling pressure, that indicates a differential exists.

I feel like you won't go wrong with any of the major manufacturers. They wouldn't still be in business if they were making junk. Find something you like and then search for the appropriate gear thread here talking about it. That's what I do every time I buy gear and the ScubaBoard hivemind hasn't steered me wrong yet. :) My BCD and regs are Aqua Lung and I've had no issues with 110+ dives since purchased. I do get them fully serviced between trips or at least once a year when I've done multiple trips in a year.

Can't recommend an AI computer strongly enough. Most of my dives were with a Oceanic VT3 and no spg. The risk with a single computer and no spg is that you have to thumb a dive (and go buy an spg if your trip's not over) if your transmitter malfunctions. Only happened to me once, and I was lucky enough to have it happen on the last dive of a trip. Replacing the transmitter resolved it for another 80+ dives. Starting with my next trip I'll have two AI computers so even a failed transmitter won't ruin a dive. Determine how much risk you're willing to take in that regard, and your budget (they aren't cheap) and go from there. It's really hard to beat having all your info on your wrist, though. I'll never go back to a console.

Good luck! Have fun shopping! Welcome to the world of diving!

I wasn't impressed with the Zeagle BCD, I despised the weight pockets being so far behind and overall it felt a tad clunky. My Dive shop nearby (StuartScuba) sells a little bit of everything like Zeagle, Oceanic, Mares, Atomic, and Hollis. My initial idea was to rent a Mares "adjustable" regulator (control the amount of suck to get air, I think the one I used was rigid and I found myself guzzling air due to not being completely relaxed with the amount of pressure I had to use to suck air in) once I purchase a BCD/tank (or rent tank, not sure rn but my friends might have me driving all over Florida for freshwater dives) and see how it breathes, but the Scubapro one I used in training breathed best. Not to mention the Mares was freeflowing on me during my second water dive, heh.

I have a somewhat hardset budget, but at the same time I have no interest in compromising on safety. My initial plan was to invest in a very solid SPG that could function as a computer, and at a later date double up on a wrist computer (since SDI is basically computer-oriented so it couldn't hurt to have a backup). I have watched a lot of videos talking about safety and I've assembled a small list of other possible items to keep onhand on the attached file.

I don't know much about the "Wing style" BCDs, truthfully I feel like my dive shop wouldn't want to sell it to a newer diver. My instructor dove with a back-style BCD and didn't really comment on other types, just made comments on the jacket style.

I wouldn’t say that this is normal, but it’s not uncommon. Especially for new divers. Most people (that aren’t diving) don’t really need to equalize very often. Before your next dive, make it a point to equalize in the days before you dive. This is like stretching to make it easier during the dive.

On descent, equalize before you need to. Early and often. If you are feeling pressure, your ears are not equalized. Pressure difference is probably not great enough for any pain, but since you are feeling pressure, that indicates a differential exists.

I want to make a habit of moving to "hands-free" equalization ASAP, I now understand how to perform both Valsalva and Toynbee by just testing the feeling (with sore eardrums, which probably isn't helping lol). I've watched some freedivers explaining how to do hands-free, but to this moment in time it hasn't clicked yet. I also think part of my issue with my ears stems from the final safety stop on my checkout open dives, where I was not doing an amazing job of staying neutral and was floating between 22 and 16 ft. I intend to spend my first few dives working on buoyancy and equalizing in a smaller amount of water, just until I feel comfortable enough dipping down below 30 again.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    12.3 KB · Views: 60
Tanks it doesn’t matter. Steels are only made by Faber in Italy. Metal Impact (formerly Lucifer) and maybe Catalina are it for aluminums.

What kind of diving are you doing, i.e. what conditions and environment? All local diving, or traveling to dive? Those answers would help folks comment on your priority list. Do you really need a knife? I feel like that's the #2 piece of gear people eventually toss out, right after snorkels. Waste of money for most rec divers, IMO.

What kind of diving are you doing, i.e. what conditions and environment? All local diving, or traveling to dive? Those answers would help folks comment on your priority list. Do you really need a knife? I feel like that's the #2 piece of gear people eventually toss out, right after snorkels. Waste of money for most rec divers, IMO.
Well I wrote "knife" but really just meant a cutting tool for entanglement, should that ever occur. Also, didn't know most people toss snorkels.

I anticipate a mixture of local and travel (by car), I'm not expecting right now to be flying around the world (COVID plus I am still fairly young lmao). I don't "have" to go top brand, but for regulator I'm not cheaping out. So far the deepest I have been is 53 feet for my checkout, and the only instance I could see using a light would be to checking under rocks or shine into cracks (which we were being told to stay 3ft off the coral reef and not make contact). I don't really think night diving is anything I'm interested in while I am still new. Actually, gloves probably wouldn't be a bad call at some point to "finish off" the coverage.

The local dive shop I believe sells mostly Mares and Atomic regulators. I'm actually stopping by tomorrow to grab my Open Water card (yay) and to sign up for a Nitrox class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom