Brainard Lake or Lefthand Reservoir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm looking to dive in a cold mountain lake during these hot summer days... :cool2:

Can you dive in Brainard Lake or nearby Lefthand Reservoir?

I have no idea how deep these lakes are or whether they'd be good dive sites but figured I'd ask.

Gross Reservoir looks like the ideal spot but it's off limits to divers. If you have any other ideas for mountain lake dives, do tell!

glenn

...Also looking for a dive buddy willing to give it a try...

If it's high altitude diving you want, try Jefferson Lake. It's a few hours from Boulder, but it's a nice spot. The visibility is pretty good, and you can get good depth.

You will see lots of fishermen, and they get really curious when divers appear (which does not happen often). Find a nice picnic table to set up on and you are ready to go.

Do not underestimate the altitude. When I was there, I put on steel doubles and all the works and walked across the parking lot to the entrance. By the time I got there I was totally spent! That was when I realized I had left my fins on the picnic table across the parking lot. Fortunately Ron Frank was there to get them, or I think I would have given up.

Mmmm, Jefferson Lake looks nice. Love to give it a go.

I went 4-wheeling up to Lefthand Reservoir over the weekend to 'scout out the territory'. It takes a 4WD or vehicle with high ground clearance to get up the road -- adds to the fun! Also high altitude, 10600ft.

Lefthand Res. has easy access to the water (once you're there) and should be a good dive. There are a lot of fishermen up there too, so like you said, divers might raise a few eyebrows. Given the number of people fishing from shore -- and the likelihood of masses of lost monofilament -- I would want to surface swim well away from shore before descending. (Probably a good idea for many mountain lakes.)

Too bad Gross Reservoir above Boulder is off limits to divers... That would be perfect. Deep, easy access, and close by.

Back
Top Bottom