Question Would you explore a strange lake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would be leery of this part. If a lava tube or cave is how it drains, there could be a risk of high flow entrapping someone. Divers die pinned against the outflow of damns periodically due to this.

Respectfully,

James

I would be leery also. It might take a couple (or few) seasons before exploring the tube or cave to determine when the siphon starts or if its ongoing and at what rate. Then very small steps exploring after that.

In reverse, that was the reason the cave entrance at Morrison Springs was dynamited and closed. The high flow out of the cave was pinning divers and killing them.

In reverse, that was the reason the cave entrance at Morrison Springs was dynamited and closed. The high flow out of the cave was pinning divers and killing them.
Interesting to know! I always assumed it was a liability issue with the cave in general.

Interesting to know! I always assumed it was a liability issue with the cave in general.

It’s quite difficult to enter the cavern at Morrison. We were there over thanksgiving this past year. It hadn’t rained in quite a while but the flow was just blasting out of there…

OP,
Contact your local dive recovery unit and see what information they have on this location. They may have made previous training dives in this location or an actual recovery. They may even advise you that the area prohibits diving based on concerns that you have already identified. That would be the best place to start in developing a plan to dive this area.

water conditions sound like the same in my area.

be sure you understand how to plan altitude dives.

don't explore it alone and have surface support. if you are in an isolated area, what is the plan if an emergency situation occurs. is there cell service? do you carry O2? make sure you develope a solid safety plan just in case.

perhaps look deeper into the vanishing water problem. see if there are patterns. does it do it during certain times of the year? is it related to the tides (if you are near the ocean ? etc.

are you able to explore it when it is dry s0o you have a good idea of what to expect? sounds very interesting.
It vanishes once in 4 years (exactly 4, as if someone pushes a button), and for some reason (because it vanishes?) fish don’t live there and birds and all the wildlife around avoid it like a plague. Although they tested the water, and it seems ok.
There is no sea or ocean closer than 300-400 miles, but there are two dormant volcanoes close to the lake.

Attachments

• imgpreview.jpg
    imgpreview.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 127
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom