BP/Wings + weight pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hopefully with just the switch from a BC to a backplate you'll be able to shed 2# or more of weight - I think BCs add some bouyancy just because of their bulky nature and materials.

There is a set of Halcyon 36lb wings on Ebay going for 200 now, and closes in 17 hrs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1811815553

(not mine and know nothing about them, just passing the info)

Pretty inventive idea using the trim pockets for weight pockets instead of the ACB, much cheaper also. Not sure if they would move around on the webbing but for saving 100 bux, I would give it a try. I do not see them being any less ditchable than the ACBs right off.

I personally did not like the trim weights on the tank strap as it just felt/looked too "busy". Just my thoughts.

The bps would not be any issue to switch out, the wing just unbolts but you do have the added expense.

Tommy

I used to have the ABS weight pockets and you are right Newton. They are wide!I sent them back as soon as I found out about the ABS+ which only hold 10lbs per side. They work great. So your wife found out about Halcyon wings...I'd be thrilled if my wife got into tek but I'd better buy stock in halcyon.:hiding: :pity: :money:

Originally posted by Joe R.
I used to have the ABS weight pockets and you are right Newton. They are wide! I sent them back as soon as I found out about the ABS+ which only hold 10lbs per side.

I didn't make it clear in the original mail, but the pockets I'm using are the ACB+, which are the 10# versions. These work fine for me, but are way too big for her.

Hopefully I'll find out how well, since the BP should be here tomorrow, and I was expecting the pockets today, so maybe later this evening...

They work great. So your wife found out about Halcyon wings...I'd be thrilled if my wife got into tek but I'd better buy stock in halcyon.

Actually, it's not so much 'tek', but more interested in a BC that fit her better than any other BC.

Nate

SIGH

Unfortunately, the Halcyon Tank Trim pockets aren't going to work. The portions that hook to the tank strip have no torsional rigidity, if you stick weight on them, they twist badly on the belt. On a hard-tank this wouldn't be a problem, but on a human body (my wife), they twist and dig into her.

I have another set of tank weights that is much more rigid, but it closes with velcro. I'm seriously thinking of building my own pockets that combine the rigidity of the velcro pockets with the fastek buckle release of the Halcyon pockets. This should work fairly well.

The sad part is the Halcyon pockets would work well with just a minor change, but due to the difficulty in modifying it at this point (it's all sewn together), I have to start from scratch. I just hope I can find some 2.5" webbing locally, since that's what I need to build my own.

Nate

Sorry I'm late for the party Nate....
I think you will find that after coming over here neither of you will need as much weight as you do now....
The suggestion to use a weighted STA is a good one for now....
When you guys finally get your steel tanks you can ebay it....
A small softside weightbelt will not be uncomfortable....

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
Sorry I'm late for the party Nate....

No problem. You shouldn't have to give ALL the good advice I'm getting. :)

I think you will find that after coming over here neither of you will need as much weight as you do now....

I hope so. However, I have some concerns. We spent Monday night in the pool practicing filling our drysuit feet with air and doing rolls to get upright.

I was using light-weight polypros (since my new undies won't be here until this afternoon or maybe tomorrow), but my wife was in full gear to see how much weight it takes. Using her old BC (since the BP isn't here yet, hopefully this week) it took 20# of weight for her to get down without swimming.

We tried it again after swimming down to 11' and making sure all of the air was squeezed out of her drysuit and BC, and she was able to reduce it to 18#, but she was unable to get down without swimming with about 700psi of Air in an AL80.

With full tanks, I think 18# in freshwater would be about right since she would be able to do a 15' SS, so we're figuring another 3-4# for the saltwater in Seattle.

It appears that no matter what we do, she'll end up with a weightbelt. I'm just trying to minimize the amount of weight on it.

The suggestion to use a weighted STA is a good one for now....

I got the FredT heavy STA last week, and I'm *very* impressed with it. Five pounds of stainless steel all bent nicely and all shined up. And, Fred's a truly nice guy to boot.

When you guys finally get your steel tanks you can ebay it....

Maybe, but then again maybe not. Even with steel tanks, she still may have a use for the STA, since a single steel will still only give us 3-4# of weight difference.

A small softside weightbelt will not be uncomfortable....

Try telling that to my wife. :wink: :wink:

I'm still trying to figure out a way to have some ditchable weight, but time is running short. We may end up with some kludgy system for Seattle (don't hurt me) with the intent of having something better later on.

Nate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom