BP/wings comfortable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So when a tank or something else heavy falls and lands on your buckle while on a live aboard in the middle of nowhere, what then?

If it were SP, it can take it but I can't vouch for other brands. I'd be more worried about the tank or the other "heavy" thing falling on my regulator or computer actually. Heck, it can land on your foot or your small toe and you will be out of commission for the duration of the trip.

At the end, you can always rent from the boat for this once in a million chance. There are more chances of something sharp landing on your BP/W wing and cutting it than the scenario you describe.

In regards to your accepting or not accepting a Jacket BC, that is fine whatever suits you and you fell comfortable with. It ls almost like somebody liking chocolate ice cream vs. somebody who likes vanilla. You don't have to accept or like the flavor you don't like but you can't attack or badmouth the flavor you don't like or the person who uses it and likes it. It is about finding the one that fits you properly and is made with the highest quality standards, SP. I have always used SP jacket bc's since mid 90's (I think) and never had an issue. Most of the time I used the SP classic bc, the most stable and durable bc that was ever made. At one point I had to buy a bc from a local store that only sold Mares and I bought their top of the line BC that "fit" me. It never fit me right but I had to use it since I didn't have my SP's until I managed to have them shipped to me. That Mares BC is used in the pool for training and I can't wait to sell it along with the Cressi BC's.

These threads are always interesting to me. I've been diving an inexpensive Sea Elite jacket BC for the last 3 years, and like it. Trim pockets, integrated weights, side pockets, and it has been durable enough for me anyway. Every time I look at what I would need to do with a backplate, frankly, it looks like more work to me. I've had back-inflate rentals on occasion, and a dive op put my kid in a backplate rental at one point (weird), and our reactions have always been just sort of a shrug. They were all fine, but we never felt like "wow" this is so much better. (Of course a BP may eventually be a necessity if I ever wind up with doubles.) Whatever works best for what you do, I guess.

... our reactions have always been just sort of a shrug. They were all fine, but we never felt like "wow" this is so much better.

I can do a "medium" jacket like a skimpy croptop, or a "large" one that would take two of me to fit in the midsection. So on me, BP just fits. I wouldn't call it a "wow" either, but it's nice when things fit.

I find a BPW more comfortable than a jacket ever was. Its a napsack and not a binding device.

Its like a motorcycle, compared to a bondage device.

These threads are always interesting to me. I've been diving an inexpensive Sea Elite jacket BC for the last 3 years, and like it. Trim pockets, integrated weights, side pockets, and it has been durable enough for me anyway. Every time I look at what I would need to do with a backplate, frankly, it looks like more work to me. I've had back-inflate rentals on occasion, and a dive op put my kid in a backplate rental at one point (weird), and our reactions have always been just sort of a shrug. They were all fine, but we never felt like "wow" this is so much better. (Of course a BP may eventually be a necessity if I ever wind up with doubles.) Whatever works best for what you do, I guess.

I think with most people...myself included...they appreciate the minimalist design, ease of sourcing what are typically interchangeable parts, and the modular nature of the setup. You can easily and quickly add items to it and remove items. Depending on the dive(s) that you’ve got planned.

As you said though...different strokes for different folks.

I think with most people...myself included...they appreciate the minimalist design, ease of sourcing what are typically interchangeable parts, and the modular nature of the setup. You can easily and quickly add items to it and remove items. Depending on the dive(s) that you’ve got planned.

As you said though...different strokes for different folks.

Or in my case, Jacket BCD's flat out didn't fit properly, at least at the LDS, which has a few stores and stocks a lot of inventory. I also found out I trim better with BP/W

Like you, I felt the same when looking at these threads. The two weight intergrated jacket BCs I have used were very comfortable, I had great trim and I was happy with them. It wasn't until I decided to started to slinging a 19cf pony that I considered giving BPW a try to streamline a bit. I was surprised that it was more comfortable and in comparison, felt like I had nothing on during the dive. Still had my weight intergration and added a single pouch to carry what I needed, clipped the rest.
Nothing wrong with continuing with the jacket. I think I would have if it wasn't for the nudge with the pony. Certainly these threads didn't convince me to switch as I was really happy with my jacket, but they did resonate enough that I considered BPW when I did.

Back
Top Bottom