bp/wing use in the ocean for single tank wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just taught my daughter to dive using a BP & 27# Halcyon wing with single tank. My son dives a 18# Halcyon & BP regularly in Puerto Rico with a single tank. I normally dive doubles but if I dove singles it would be with a BP & wing.

DO NOT get too big a wing (doubles wing) and try to use it. It can be done but you won't like the feeling. 27-30 should be fine for most single tank diving. Halcyon or the new Oxycheck (sp?) would be my suggestion.

Dave D

dmdalton once bubbled...
I just taught my daughter to dive using a BP & 27# Halcyon wing with single tank. My son dives a 18# Halcyon & BP regularly in Puerto Rico with a single tank. I normally dive doubles but if I dove singles it would be with a BP & wing.

Dave D

I'm a new OW, AOW and Nitrox diver but I just bought a FredT plate, harness etc. and probably the new Oxychek 40 wing (same profile as their 30) Can't wait to get it and start building it up.
My LDS did the same crap I've seen here such as, "It'll push your face down", "You need to dive steel doubles to keep your head up", "Start out with the BC" etc. etc. I knew it was BS when the guy said "this price is from me only, come to me only on this to buy it" Yeah right, "his" price was $200.00 easy over online pricing. I spend money there when it's for reasonable priced gear and training, but spare me the BS.

RR

I started off using a safety vest with a CO2 inflator. They came out with the manual inflate horse collar, that was great, it made diving a lot easier, they added an inflator from the tank that was great, easier still.

The jacket BC came out and I had to have one, what a difference. I dove with several over the years and they were all good. They still are-with the exception of one over engineered kluge.

I heard a lot about the backmount BCs and reluctantly tried one. I was prepared not to like it, it looked like it would float you face down. They kind of do that, but you just lean back and fin lightly and it isn't a problem. I do a lot of beach dives so I spend a lot of my time on the surface. They are great-underwater. The only thing I miss about the horse collar and the jacket are the high flotation, effortless heads up that you get on the surface. Notice I said miss.

I now have a transpac with a travel wing and an aluminum plate with rec wings. I dive an AL 80 with the transpac and use the AL backplate rig for an E-8 130 or double 80s. I gave my almost new scubapro BC to my brother a couple of years ago. It was a good safe BC, I liked it, but as far as I was concerned wings were the way to go.

I dove the springs and caverns about 30 years ago and haven't done any fresh water diving since then. The BP/Wing works just fine in the ocean.

I never got chafed from any of the rigs I've worn including the ol "working harness" on twin 72s with a horse collar.

Tell you LDS there are people on here that have experience diving in the ocean.

Back
Top Bottom