BP/W users - where do u put your smb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A combination of what TSandM and danvolker suggested.
Small 3' SMB with finger spool in left thigh pocket and biga$$ SMB in the storage pouch of the backplate pad.
The small SMB is for team drills and can easily be restowed in the water. The large SMB is for "lost at sea" scenario or can serve as a backup buoyancy device. The strap of the big SMB is clipped to the butt D-ring and does not have its own spool.

PS: After the recent incidents where boats left divers in the water I waterproofed three flare launchers and keep them in the right thigh pocket on boat dives. I used these and made O-ring sealed delrin plugs for the muzzle end. The other end is already tightly sealed with a screw-on cap.

How exactly do you waterproof these? I am very interested in your idea here. I cant decide if its completely safe, but I am still interested.

Here is what I do........M

hi jorgy many thanks for your suggestion. jus to clarify with you:

1) in the 1st pic, you tie one end of the bungee chord to the bp and make the other end into a loop.

2) in the 2nd pic, you loop the looped-end through the crotch strap

3) in the 3rd pic, this is where i kinda lost you. how does the smb gets attached?

many thanks for your help.

I have a dive rite mesh pouch with a velcro closure and grommets. Its a perfect size to hold a small finger spool and SMB. I use zip ties to attach it to the bottom of my plate. The velcro closure is on the side, so I can reach back and pull out the SMB easily.

Dsmb clipped to my butt d-ring, reel in a pouch. I tried a couple of butt plates made for that purpose, but they were bigger than I wanted.

I have mine stored on the bottom of my BP. It's held in place by 2 bungee loops hanging from holes on the bottom of the BP. My reel is clipped off to the side via a D-ring.

Same for me.

I have a dive rite mesh pouch with a velcro closure and grommets. Its a perfect size to hold a small finger spool and SMB. I use zip ties to attach it to the bottom of my plate. The velcro closure is on the side, so I can reach back and pull out the SMB easily.
I use the DIVERITE mesh pouch as well.

On a related note, how many SMBs do you think the ScubaBoard has sold (for various vendors) in the last two months or so?

I have mine stored on the bottom of my BP. It's held in place by 2 bungee loops hanging from holes on the bottom of the BP. My reel is clipped off to the side via a D-ring.

hi annasea, do u mind posting a picture of your setup? m jus trying to picture it mentally, if u make 2 bungee loops at the bottom of the bp to hold the smb, what if the smb is not that long? many thanks.

hi,

wld like to find out where bp/w users keep their smb?

do u clip it to your bp or put it in a pouch/pocket?

i understand some users use bungee cord to attach the smb to their bp. question - how do you attach it?

many thanks for sharing.

I put mine in my back pocket.

+1

It's an inexpensive and very practical solution, which accommodates any size of DSMB. I prefer to keep the finger reel(s) separate, as they also form part of my contingency plans for several emergency/rescue drills. I always have a finger reel on my hip or butt d-ring, along with a reserve in my left thigh pocket (drysuit/x-shorts). Left thigh pocket is for all my emergency/contingency/redundant gear... it's the "oh sh1t!!" pocket. Right pocket is for commonplace items that I use/access routinely.

Back
Top Bottom