BP/W users - where do u put your smb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cruiser24

Contributor
Reaction score
hi,

wld like to find out where bp/w users keep their smb?

do u clip it to your bp or put it in a pouch/pocket?

i understand some users use bungee cord to attach the smb to their bp. question - how do you attach it?

many thanks for sharing.

I keep my SMB and spool, pre-rigged, in my drysuit or X-shorts pocket.

If I don't have a pocket for some reason, I clip them to my butt d-ring. I have also seen people clip them to the bottom of a backplate, or even to a chest d-ring.

Here is what I do........M

Attachments

• IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 554
I drilled 6 holes in the side of my BP and threaded some 3/16 bungy through. This holds my SMB rolled up with the thumb spool between the BP and wing out of the way. It works fine to deploy, but impossible to re-stow until you are back on land/boat, so it is suited more for occasional use or emergency deployment rather than routine use. I like Jorgy's idea also.

Side D-Ring, Butt D-Ring or Pocket, depending on the configuration I'm diving. Unless you are following some set of "rules"... There are no rules... Your BP is completely versatile and able to be customized to your needs. Dare I say... add another D-Ring where it suits you.

Primary goes on scooter ring or hip ring whilst I'm still on the boat (so I don't sit on it) and gets shifted to the butt ring to keep it out of the way once I'm in the water.

Backup spool an buoy live in a drysuit pocket.

I have mine stored on the bottom of my BP. It's held in place by 2 bungee loops hanging from holes on the bottom of the BP. My reel is clipped off to the side via a D-ring.

I have the Halcyon MC Storage pouch, that covers the back of your backplate where it touches your back....kind of like a pad....the SMB or Surfmat or diver's life raft will fit in their, and be 100% out of drag or entanglement potential.

If I'm wearing a drysuit - in a pocket.

When wearing a wetsuit, to which I've had with custom aftermarket pockets added - in a pocket

When wearing a wetsuit with no pockets - I have a slip-on cargo pocket that's the same size as a drysuit pocket, so I put my SMB in the pocket....

I cut the snag-festival clips off the back of the pocket, and just slide it on the right side waist belt, hold it in place with a plastic weight belt buckle. Easy and convenient, in warm bright tropical water, it substitutes nicely for a light can to tuck the long hose under.

All the best, James

A combination of what TSandM and danvolker suggested.
Small 3' SMB with finger spool in left thigh pocket and biga$$ SMB in the storage pouch of the backplate pad.
The small SMB is for team drills and can easily be restowed in the water. The large SMB is for "lost at sea" scenario or can serve as a backup buoyancy device. The strap of the big SMB is clipped to the butt D-ring and does not have its own spool.

PS: After the recent incidents where boats left divers in the water I waterproofed three flare launchers and keep them in the right thigh pocket on boat dives. I used these and made O-ring sealed delrin plugs for the muzzle end. The other end is already tightly sealed with a screw-on cap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom