BP/W? Steel or AL? 27 or 36?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DomRep Diving

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok... you all might be tired of all this questions from people going from Jacket Styles BC's to BP/W's. But hey, now's my turn...
Some info of my kind of diving before hand:
I dive WARM water (never less than 78F - no more than 80F) all year long. I use a Henderson Microprene (says 1mm, feels like 0.5mm) wetsuit. I usually dive with HP100 or 120, very rarely an 80 when helping out in the classes (all of them steel, no AL). Also, all of my dives are in the ocean, no fresh water dives. I usually dive with 6 lb. but I know I can go with just 4 lb. (i'm geting kind of chubby, used to dive with no weigths) since I'm getting in shape again.

Now, the questions are:
Should I go with a Steel or an AL backplate?
I narrowed my options to Halcyon Pioneer 27 or 36, which one for me?

This is the first part of my assimilation... I really have to thank Mo2vation for his "public humiliation" (the way he calls it) since I learned A LOT about this setup from his posts... Kind of helped me make the final jump into this...

Thanks in advance....
Orlando

I would go with an alum bp and 36lb Pioneer. Although the 27 would be more than sufficient, the 36 is no bigger and you never know what may change later.

MD

I would go with an alumnum plate so you have some ditchable weight and a 27lb wing.If you use a 6lb SS plate you probably will not have any ditchable weight.How much weight do you normally dive with on your belt.Just remember if you get a SS plate that will be 6lbs less on your belt meaning less ditchable weight.

The 36lb wing is a nice option but if you never dive cold water i see no need for it as it costs $50.00 more than the 27lb wing.

Even with an AL plate, you'll probably end up dropping that 4-6 lbs [I dropped 6 going from a BC to a wing]. Definately go aluminum, and I'd think about selling those steel tanks and buying some aluminum ones; so you can have some ditchable weight. You can probably sell 'em; but brand new aluminum, and still end up with some money in your pocket.

lal7176 once bubbled...

costs $50.00 more than the 27lb wing.

Really :wacko: When did they start that? They were the same when I got mine.
I'd agree, if it costs more, stay with the 27lb.

MD

MechDiver once bubbled...

Really :wacko: When did they start that? They were the same when I got mine.
I'd agree, if it costs more, stay with the 27lb.

MD

Yep at one time they used to be the same price.But if you look on fifthd or EE the 36lb cost about 50 bucks more than the 27.

Well.. I guess the 27 sounds fine... Sometimes I use a stage (Luxfer AL30) do you think that will change my weigth too much, like to go with the 36?

DomRep Diving once bubbled...
Well.. I guess the 27 sounds fine... Sometimes I use a stage (Luxfer AL30) do you think that will change my weigth too much, like to go with the 36?

You can always drop the stage, and it's not very negative when full anyway.

MD

Ken here - First of all, thanks for the encouraging words.

Next - 78 - 80.... man. I can't even imagine that. I hate you already. :D

UP sent me a note or else replied to a thread of mine early on with a pretty cool formula that basically led me to a Steel plate and 36# wing.

If you're diving wet and warm, you don't need the steel plate (for your back... :) ) Roll with the Alu, for sure. And although the 27 is likely fine for your dive style, I can't see (price aside) not getting the 36.

I suppose there is an arguement to be made for having too much lift (the face plant, I guess)...I think its pretty weak. How many of us inflate to overflow? Plus, if you're in a safety situation with someone else, the peace-of-mind the extra lift brings may outweigh the moderate 1-time cost difference.

Lastly - I think the drag issue is also overrated between the two. The way the 36 inflates, I mean its hardly there. Mark Spitz won 7 gold medals with a moustache and 70's hair cut - guys today wax their legs and shave their dome to pick up hundreths of a second over 50 m. The drag diff with 27 and 36 is negligable I'm sure.

My $02.

PS: you'll dig it. Made another 3 dives this weeked with it...no issues, not looking back. Signed up for the DIR/F tonight... :wacko:

I'm going to suggest the 36 lb wing for a reason other than lift. The way the air sits in the bellows on the 36 lb wing seems to assist in keeping trim. The extra air "down low" helps keep your legs and lower body up in the horizontal position. This seems to be one of the biggest problems new BP/wing divers have. And frankly, it helps accomplished divers in that there is one less thing to be concerned about.

If you get a chance, try out both wings. I think you'll see what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom