BP/W? Steel or AL? 27 or 36?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the SS plate and the 27lbs wing and it's a great setup. I don't need a weight belt this way.

Ok... I decided I'll go with the 36.... FINAL ANSWER! :armed:

Detroit: Trying them out is not an option since I'm going to be one of the firsts, if not the first one in getting a Halcyon wing, and about the 3rd or 4th to get a BP/W setup....

Also, AL BP for me....
Now... some more things... I though of going with FredT Backplates... don't know, I just like them since they seem more "configurable"... But I heard something about the Pioneer having an integrad STA? I'm not clear if it matters... do I have to buy the STA's from FredT or will the integrated one work? Recommendations?!
Also what about the Harness kit from him compared to the Halcyon one? anything more I need to buy?

If you buy the just the 36lbs wing from Halcyon, they do not include the two tank straps. You would have to then buy them separately. I'm not sure how much they cost, but would guess around $60.00.

FredT plates are nice and will work with the Integrated STA on the Halcyon wing. His harness kits are $40.00 I think.

I have the Halcyon and the FredT plate. I like the FredT a little more. Very nice plate. I have the Halcyon because it came with the Pioneer setup I bought.

It will probably be cheaper just to buy a complete Halcyon setup instead of buying each piece separately.

Is it possible to remove the integrated STA from the Pioneer Wing in case I want to use a different one like the FredT two piece?
If so, how hard is it? Do I will do any damage to my wing?

You're supposed to be able to slice the top of the fabric channel that holds the "bars" and simply slide them out.

K

I would NOT cut the wing. I beleive that a metal STA will fit over the delrin rods without any interference.

I have 2 single tank setups. One is the FredT 2 piece STA and the other is the integrated Halcyon STA. I prefer the Halcyon overall. The tank sits closer to your body, the rig is lighter and I do not need the extra weight of the metal STA. If for some reason you do need the extra weight, that would be my only reason for suggesting the metal FredT STA.

A STA will work fine with the Derlin rods still in the Pioneer wing. Just bear in mind that the tank will be about a millimeter further out from the back in that case, or whatever the diameter of the rods are. The extra space is only a slight increase so shouldn't be killer. It's not always a bad thing either, such as if you rent a yoke tank and need to use a din to yoke adapter, might make it less likely to bonk your head on the 1st stage when looking foward.

I had originally planned to keep the rods in my wing.I ordered a fredt plate and a 2pc sta(fred built me a channel weight that bolts to the sta).Yes the two pc sta will work with the rods in the wing but its a major pain to do so and didnt really like the fit of the fredt 2 pc sta with the sta built in the wing.My fredt sta fits much better and is much easier to install without the rods.Since i mostly dive cold water i dont really have any need for the built in STA as the fredt 2pc sta is not gonna overweight me.Having used both setups i prefer my 2pc sta over the halcyon wing sta.

So if I buy the FredT AL plate, the harness kit (also from FredT) and the pioneer 36 Halcyon wing that's all I need?
Or do I also have to buy the two tank bands?
If so, I guess it is better to get the whole Halcyon package since I also get the MC storage pack, which I guess will help me for a bit of comfort since I'm just using a 1mm wetsuit.....
Am I right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom