BP/W Setup Question - Thinking XDeep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just didn't know you had to have a specific equipment setup to do it. What I read made no mention of that.
Hogarhian harness, bp/w, long hose, blade fins are the basics

They wouldn't allow you to use it for Fundies? What was the reason? I've previously looked at the Fundies requirements and I didn't see a specific gear setup requirement.

That is correct. I took it to my instructor and it was a no, it's not allowed...at least stock. The harness is not one piece and has QR buckles so I asked if I can replace it with something more appropriate. We looked at the slots in the backplate but the placement was odd that it may not (or may) be adjustable. He said I could modify it but might be better to get a one that works right off the bat.

The V-shaped crotch strap xDeep uses is not gue compliant either.

I just didn't know you had to have a specific equipment setup to do it. What I read made no mention of that.

Yes, this is the GUE Base Equipment:

Appendix A - GUE Base Equipment Configuration

The GUE base equipment configuration is comprised of:
a. Tanks/cylinders: Students may use a single tank/cylinder with a single- or dual-outlet valve. Students may also use dual tanks/cylinders connected with a dual-outlet isolator manifold, which allows for the use of two first stages. Dual tanks/cylinders connected with a dual-outlet, non-isolator manifold can be used, but only in recreational (no decompression) diving, and are considered an alternative for a single tank/cylinder. Consult course-specific standards and your instructor to verify size requirements.
b. Regulators:
i. Single tank: The first stage must supply a primary second stage via a 5 to 7 ft/1.5 to 2 m hose. A backup second stage must be necklaced and supplied via a short hose. The first stage must also supply an analog pressure gauge, inflation for the buoyancy compensator (BC), and (when applicable) inflation for a drysuit.
ii. Double tank: One first stage must supply a primary second stage via a 5 to 7 ft/1.5 to 2 m hose (7 ft/2 m hose is required for all cave classes), and inflation for the buoyancy compensator (BC). The other first stage must supply a necklaced backup second stage via a short hose, an analog pressure gauge, and (when applicable) inflation for a drysuit.
c. Backplate system:
i. Is held to the diver by one continuous piece of webbing. This webbing is adjustable and uses a buckle to secure the system at the waist.
ii. A crotch strap is attached and looped through the waistband to prevent the system from riding up a diver’s back.
iii. The continuous webbing must support five D-rings;
1. The first placed at the left hip
2. The second placed in line with a diver’s right collarbone
3. The third placed in line with the diver’s left collarbone
4. The fourth and fifth are placed on the front and back of the crotch strap when divers plan to use advanced equipment such as DPVs.
iv. The harness below the diver’s arms has small restrictive bands to allow for the placement of backup lights. The webbing and system retains a minimalist approach.
d. Buoyancy compensation device (BC):
i. A diver’s BC is back-mounted and minimalist in nature.
ii. It is free of extraneous strings, tabs, or other material.
iii. There are no restrictive bands or restrictive elastic affixed to the buoyancy cell.
iv. Wing size and shape is appropriate to the cylinder size(s) employed for training.
e. At least one time/depth measuring device
f. Wrist-mounted compass
g. Mask and fins: Mask is low-volume; fins are rigid, non-split.
h. Backup mask
i. At least one cutting device
j. Wetnotes with pencils
k. Surface marker buoy (SMB) with spool: when required, the SMB should be appropriate for environmental conditions and deployed using a spool with at least 100 ft/30 m of line.
l. Exposure suit appropriate for the duration of exposure

Why would being slightly overweighted affect air consumption? I can see a little more air going into the BC, but what else is happening?

Generally "higher stress levels" with managing buoyancy would contribute to higher consumption.

When teaching OW, I regularly am significantly over weighted - I have extra to pass across (I like my student near to their ideal weight), I keep enough so that if one has an uncontrolled ascent I can dump my air and bring them down, and generally I make do with what ever lead bricks are left (normally the largest)

I see no difference in my consumption - however when teaching it's higher than normal because I'm always on the alert. The only difference is that I need to concentrate more on managing my bubble in the shallow segments.

When fun diving I prefer to be slightly over. I would rather have a little air in my wing at the end, and chill out, than having zero air and concentrating more on the stop. Also I like some weight in hand, so if I were to be "managing a situation" with higher breathing rates and thus buoyancy I'm not compounding the situation by being a bit light. But that;'s my personal preference

Grew up North of Toronto, My wife is from Kingston. Good to know there is some interesting wrecks to dive down that way.

We were diving a lake about an hour north of North Bay - mostly just to see what was there after fishing it for years.

Thanks for the tips.

Thanks, all, and thanks Scopey42 for the invite.

Thanks to everyone's advice, and the advice of the GUE instructor I have been in touch with, I am thinking about the Halcyon system - first the Eclipse wing, and later the Evolve for doubles. Does anyone have any experience working with the Halcyon system for a GUE setup? Any tips or regrets? I would greatly appreciate any wisdom you could pass on before I "dive in".

Also, for drysuits I was thinking DUI. Does anyone have any experience in comparing the Yukon II vs. the S350? I have been told to stick with tri-lam. I am also looking at Santi and Pinnacle.

Last, I noticed UTD has their own line of equipment. Does anyone have experience with it, and would you recommend their bp/w or drysuits?

Does anyone have any experience working with the Halcyon system for a GUE setup? Any tips or regrets? I would greatly appreciate any wisdom you could pass on before I "dive in".

Halcyon system is the GUE setup. That is the easiest and most straightforward choice for going GUE. No real regrets except that you can get essentially the same functionality with less money elsewhere. On the other hand, Halcyon is high quality, has great customer service and warranty and probably has a good resale value later on.
For a drysuit, you WILL need service. Repairs, alterations, seal changes etc. DUI, Santi and Rofos (UTD is made by Rofos) are all top spec high quality suits. You can mail in for service but I would stick to a brand which has a good reputation and short turnaround times for repairs.

Last, I noticed UTD has their own line of equipment. Does anyone have experience with it, and would you recommend their bp/w or drysuits?

The "UTD suit" is just a custom Rofos. I have one, it's good. But they are not CA local like DUI is.

Thanks to everyone's advice, and the advice of the GUE instructor I have been in touch with, I am thinking about the Halcyon system - first the Eclipse wing, and later the Evolve for doubles. Does anyone have any experience working with the Halcyon system for a GUE setup? Any tips or regrets? I would greatly appreciate any wisdom you could pass on before I "dive in".

Also, for drysuits I was thinking DUI. Does anyone have any experience in comparing the Yukon II vs. the S350? I have been told to stick with tri-lam. I am also looking at Santi and Pinnacle.

I own 2 halcyon wings and plates. Both are nice, but many other brands are comparable quality for less money. The weighted sta is useful for local diving though if you don't want to run weight pockets.

Get something custom from the UK (seaskin/otter/brittanic etc) or an ursuit from DRIS/Deep 6. If you need a repair, sending it out to DRIS or Gamble Scuba is arguably a better option. The local shops in the area are not quick about repairs and service.

UTD has some ok gear, but nothing that is really compelling that stands out from the crowd (unless you count the disaster that is the z manifold).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom