BP/W really OK for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's WAY better for a newbie, period, because of its simplicity. No D-rings everywhere or buckles or pockets or padding or any of that crap. It just fits and is completely out of the way underwater.

Asking if a BP/W is OK for a newbie is like asking if a B/C is OK for a newbie.

That's what it is . . . a B/C.

the K

The problem is that no dive shop near me rents them (at least from what I found so far)

my buoyancy control at the moment isn't the greatest with anything

I'm a big guy, and jacket BC's just aren't made to fit me. The shop I got certified through almost had me talked into buying the same style jacket I rented from them. I didn't know any better, I just thought it was uncomfortable, and there was nothing I could do about it. It rode up on me at the surface, and just didn't fit right. About 6 months after my initial cert, it was my first time diving with one of the guys from work, and he said, "Wow, that thing doesn't fit you right!" He started telling me how it looked from his perspective, and I said yeah, I slog through it, it's not that bad. He's a jacket fan, but he has one that fits him, so he has no problem. I spent quite a bit of time researching different styles of BC's and asking for suggestions from other big guys, and BP&W kept coming up. I tried it, and holy ****!! what a difference! The tank is closer to my bank, so out of the water it's actually easier to walk with. It doesn't ride up, and with the Hog Harness, I adjusted it to fit me perfectly. For me, it's actually easier to don and doff as well. Now I do plan on going to doubles next year, so the choice wasn't very hard for me. My trim has improved greatly with almost all of the weight over my back, now I can put myself in any position underwater. But I only had 25 dives in by the time I bought mine, so some of that is likely experience.

I also really enjoy the modular aspect, as I don't need a pocket full of safety gear (whistle, mirror, sausage) on a spring dive, but it's very easy to just add it when I'm off to salt water dive. I gave my newby friends similar advice to above though, try some things out, if you like your jacket more than a wing, by all means dive it. For me, they just don't make a jacket for me, or not one that I found anyway.
FWIW,
Jason

EZHOOPS:
The problem is that no dive shop near me rents them (at least from what I found so far)

my buoyancy control at the moment isn't the greatest with anything

As mentioned before, buoyancy control will not change whether using one or the other.

I would suggest you take your time to think about your choice. It also depends on whether you would be willing to service (not a lot service required though) the BC yourself in the future. If you are willing to do that, than where you buy it will not matter that much. Even your local store should be able to service it if necessary (inflator is an inflator regardless in a BCD or BP/W).

NetDoc:
So Perrone, are you indicating that an Oceanic or Zeagle BC won't last a long, long time? As for getting vertical in the water... I can do that with ANY THING. Vertical, side ways, flat as a pancake. I control my trim and attitude, and I won't blame my BC Du Jour if somehow I fail.

Pete, I own Oceanic products, and I have owned Zeagle products (including a nice BC). And neither will last as long as my BP/W, nor do I expect them to. Will those products last long enough for the average diver? Sure.

As for getting vertical in the water, sure. If you can dive, you can get into any position you want. But lets be honest. Having the bladder behind you has advantages in getting you horizontal in the water. Thus, it has DISadvantages in getting you vertical in the water.

Personally, I think this whole BP/W thing is overblown. Dive what the hell ever you want. Spend your money how you like. You worked for it.

I agree with Damselfish in that most quality back infated bc's have trim pockets that accomplish the same thing as a bp.

I know that nearly everyone here that has a BP/W really loves them. Me included. But just because it's right for me doesn't mean it's right for you. It's hard to tell you what to buy because allot of it really is personnal preference.

Here's what I like about my BP/W.

It really locks the tank to your body. Much more secure than any BC I've owned.
Easier to get in than my Zeagle. Getting out is about the same.

I don't have to carry near as much weight to the boat (let alone when diving). Most people don't realize their BC weighs about the same as a BP/W, but is also bouyant, so you'll need more weight just to get your BC neutral. Not a big thing, but the little things add up. With a steel tank and a shorty, I don't need any additional weight. And that's without an STA.

Packs much better than my Zeagle Brigade.

Others will tell you it's more streamlined, and I'm sure they are right, but that isn't an issue for me. I'm not a DIR type diver.

Things I like better about my Zeagle: Pockets

So you have $400 to spend. Here's my set up.

DSS adjustable harness (bought it used for $70).
http://deepseasupply.com/

You could also get the Oxycheq Adjustable Harness System
http://www.oxycheq.com/Wing_Access.html
You can also get this from Scubatoys, but it's not on their website.

SS HammerHead Back Plate with Heavy $100
http://www.hammerheadscuba.com/hh2.htm

Oxycheq 30# Signature wing $258 (I think - There's a 10% savings for being a scubabord member) from ScubaToys.com
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=OXYSSWing
You can save a little by going with the standard series wing
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OXYStdWing

Apex Weight Pockets $110

So, if you get the the Oxycheq harness & wing from Scubatoys, along with the backplate from Hammerhead, you'd be close to your $400 budget. You can get by with less expensive weight pockets, or use a weight belt if needed.

Oops, I almost forgot. You'll have to have 2 tank cam straps. I got mine for $18 each from my LDS. I know Scubatoys has these also.

If you like the Dive Rite setup, you can get the complete setup from Dive Sports. Just ask for Phil.
http://www.divesports.com/IndexPages_Brand/diverite_brand.htm

Even though it's not on the web site, I think you can get a transplate system with Rec wing & weight pockets for just about $500. Plus he'll include shipping for free, and set the whole thing up.

I think Scubatoys also sells dive rite, so pick which ever vendor you like best. (I like ScubaToys a little better, but I've bought from both.)

Having said all that (I think this is by far my longest post), the best thing is to try as many setups as you can, then buy what you really want within your budget.

EZHOOPS:

Get to know other divers in your area. Scubaboard is great for that. :wink:

Some BP/W owners are so enthuiastic about their systems that they are willing to lend it out for a dive, or at least a pool session. Others are just really friendly.

In the meantime just dive.

The Kraken:
Asking if a BP/W is OK for a newbie is like asking if a B/C is OK for a newbie.

That's what it is . . . a B/C.

the K

I think that's a pretty good statement as it indicates the differences between them are actually quite minor. All the rest is just hype.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom