BP/W really OK for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EZHOOPS

Contributor
Reaction score
still haven't passed my OW cert but I want to buy a BC and I've been reading about this new trend (i think) BP/W. IS this really a good idea for a new diver whose never used one and I don't think my LDS stocks them. I've used the seaquest pro QD and really like it because it had integrated weights, easy on/off power inflator, easy adjustments, lots of D rings. Can I find all these features in a BP/W unit for a lower price?

Where can I purchase a BP/W if they are a better option, remember I'm a newbie but I plan to dive at least 3-5 times a year for the next 20+ years (thats the plan at least)

BTW, my budget is under $400. Not sure I really understand the wing and backplate idea. I will only be rec diving

BP/W isn't really a new trend, just something you will hear about a lot on this board - much more than you will see them in real life in most places. It's also not a fixed thing with a particular set of features, more like roll your own and add what you want.

There are like hundreds of threads here discussing the features and pros and cons of the different types of BCs. Some people will tell you BP/W is a better option, others will tell you it is simply another option. Get comfy and keep reading. :) If you eventually try one and decide it's the right choice for you that's cool, but don't think about buying something you don't understand just because a disproportionate number of people on this board are vocal about liking them.

A backplate and wing is a nice setup because it is modular, and adjustable. By modular, I mean that the components can be interchanged . . . you can put a different wing on your backplate if you need a different amount of life, or if you decide to dive doubles. If you puncture a wing, it is easy to replace it.

A continuous harness is infinitely adjustable, which is nice for sizing. It does take a little bit more to learn how to adjust it properly, and how to get in and out of it, but for me, it was well worth while because I am hard to fit. D-rings can be put on a harness where you want them. The front of your body is free of anything but a couple of bands of webbing.

The backplate moves weight up onto your back, which generally helps people get horizontal more easily.

The downsides are the lack of pockets. You can buy pockets to attach to the harness, or you can put pockets on your drysuit or wetsuit, or buy X-shorts for a wetsuit. A BP/W setup is also not generally weight-integrated, although you can buy weight pockets that fit on the harness if you want to do that. On the other hand, you end up with less on your belt because the backplate itself provides some of your weight.

A BP/W rig is not the only way to dive, and it is quite possible to be trimmed out perfectly and very comfortable in other gear. But it is a quite acceptable option for new divers, and there are several people on SB who went to a BP/W setup immediately after OW and were very pleased. I didn't change until I had about 40 dives, but wish I had done it earlier.

EZHOOPS:
BTW, my budget is under $400. Not sure I really understand the wing and backplate idea. I will only be rec diving

$400 is pushing it, but do-able if you shop around or buy a used rig.

bp/w is okay for new divers, but it can take a little longer to setup and get used to putting it on and taking it off, etc. than with a jacket bc. but then if you later decide to go tech, you'll just have to buy a bigger wing instead of whole new bcd. (though tech divers often end up with multiple plates and wings anyway)

right now you should decide whether you want the plate to be plastic, aluminium or steel? do you want a hogarthian (1-piece) harness or something with quick disconnects and padding? what kind of wing do you want (lift capacity, horseshoe or donut)?

you might also want to buy a bunch of bolt snaps to clip your gear to your d-rings, and either x-shorts or some glue-on bellows pockets for your dry- or wetsuit.

Wow I don't understand much of this but seems like if I will be buying all these extras, pockets, rings, etc. why not just buy a regular BC?

I have no issues with BC just want to know if I'm missing something with The BP/W?

Because you can set it up exactly how you want it. It is customizable, unlike a standard BC.

I suggest diving it before you buy it. And have someone who knows the system mentor you.

I wish I knew about backplates 10 years ago when I started diving, instead of following the progression common to BP users. I had a jacket, then years later upgraded to a back-inflate BC, then years later went to a BP. However, if you don't know how to set one up you will have things adjusted wrong and probably won't like it.

For me, I don't have the extras. Just a simple hog harness. Less clutter all around.

I've had several people locally borrow mine and come back asking why nobody told them about this years ago. My girlfriend borrowed mine for one pool dive and immediately bought two (SS for local diving, and lightweight for travel. She already had two standard BCs. :D

Ther are some who try it and don't like it, but I've only seen a few in the past year.

I have the Deep Sea Supply system. Highly recommended if you go the BP/W route.

Whatever you get, though, try to borrow one first and make an informed decision.

If I had to do it over again, i would buy a cheapy vest BC to start with. Nothing fancy, dont worry about pockets or rings or anything like that. Just get something inexpensive you can use that fits.

Once you have more experience you'll be able to determine what you exactly want.

I wish I had done this, I wasted some money up front

2 comments...

You had asked whether a BP/W is, in theory, acceptable for new divers. Absolutely. The shop that I use almost exclusively recommends BP/Ws as a cleaner, more minimalistic setup that promotes a more stable rig that gives the diver better buoyancy control. Plenty of people will dispute that, but in my experience, it is definitely true.

What is beyond dispute, in my experience, is that you can take a new diver who knows absolutely nothing about diving, put them in a BP/W, and have them fare perfectly fine in an OW class.

BP/Ws are perfectly fine for new divers.

The second comment is more of a piece of advice. I think people tend to make purchase decisions in this sport before they are really ready. I know I did and I think that its true of most folks in some regard or another. I would tell you that if you are not sure whether to buy model X or model Y (even if both are standard jacket-style BCs), you are better off renting and seeing what you like and what you don't like. While renting will add to your costs initially, it's nothing like having to buy a second rig because you didn't know what you were doing in the first place.

Hope some of that helps... :wink:

-Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom