BP/W really OK for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks, I think I found a happy medium, a BCD from Sea quest that doesn't have all that junk in the front and is back inflated. I'm thinking either the sea quest malibu or passport which is better?

I've had a hard time understanding this blacklash we'be been seeing here on SB towards bp/w systems, and those who like them. I think there is a lot of confusion, especially from people who really like their traditional BC, and have never dove a bp/w, and are annoyed at the "upstarts" preaching something different from what has worked really well for them, for years.

A bp/w is just a BC. It's not something fundamentally different. It just uses some different materials.

Take the ScubaPro Classic BC... something I'd guess over half of us were wearing when first certified. And let's take a "generic" bp/w. Let's break them down.

1) The ScubaPro has a "vest" shape with a waist strap and holes to put your arms through. The bp/w has straps like a backpack that you put your arms through, and a strap like a seatbelt (also just like your weight belt) that goes around your waist. Slightly different, but essentially, they operate the same way. If you can put on a shirt, you can put on either.

2) The Scubapro BC has a strap/cam band that slides over the tank. So does the bp/w. Some have one band, some have two, but they all do the same thing. So that's pretty much the same.

3) The ScubaPro has a corrugated hose with a dump and a fill button, for dumping and adding air. So does the bp/w. So that's actually 100% identical.

4) The scubaPro BC gets air put directly into the vest fabric-y part to make you float. Newer, rear inflate BCs have the "air balloon part" on the back, instead of the vest part, but otherwise do the same thing. Guess what? So does a bp/w. It has an "air balloon" part on the back that they call a "wing". Sounds technical, right? It's not. It's a bag that holds air. It gets bigger and makes you float when you press the fill button. So that's pretty much the same.

5) Some newer BCs (not the ScubaPro classic, but let's diverge for a moment) have weight integration: pockets that hold the weights instead of wearing a weight belt. You can get those for bp/w's too. So that's pretty much the same.

That's it. They're the same darn thing, in use. So why all the frustration?

A well-cared for BC will last a long time. So will a well-cared for bp/w. You can kill either in short order if you don't care for it at all.

The biggest difference is the weight that is inherent to the plate in a bp/w. It adds (roughly) 6 pounds of steel on your back, so you can take some weight off your weight belt (or out of your weight pockets). It's also less floaty than a regular BC, because there is less fabric and plastic, so there's another couple pounds off. The placement of the weight of the steel plate helps with trim, but that's a more advanced topic. Also, if you decide you want to do some technical diving, or doubles, it's a lot easier with a bp/w. If you don't, that's ok, too.

For now, all you need to know is this: There are three kinds of of BCs: Vest style, Back Inflate, and bp/w. That all work the same way once they're on your back. They all make you float. They all have the same controls. They all get put on roughly the same way: like a backpack or vest. So from a newbie's perspective, they will all work in the exact same manner, so if you want to try one out, have at!

Can't we all just get along? :D

CompuDude:
I've had a hard time understanding this blacklash we'be been seeing here on SB towards bp/w systems, and those who like them. I think there is a lot of confusion, especially from people who really like their traditional BC, and have never dove a bp/w, and are annoyed at the "upstarts" preaching something different from what has worked really well for them, for years.

I don't think there's any backlash toward bp/w systems. I do think people are simply worn out by all the incessant and often missleading promotion of bp/w's by the same dozen or so people. Perhaps it's the manner in which they are incessanty promoted. Perhaps it's both.

There are two distinct groups here... 1. The BP/W evangelists who's incessant auto-reply to every inquiry is really boring and often missleading. 2. The real tech divers and gear lovers who talk about wings, plates, harnesses, techniques and etc. One can learn things from reading their posts.

By-the-way, its real easy to distinguish who belongs to which group.

I agree...

there is far more animosity towards the BC crowd by a few of the "BP & WINGS OR YOU'RE GONNA DIE" group than the other way around. Like any tool, it's best to have more than one in your kit.

Oh man,

I don't get the point of this bp/w is better than anything out there deal but bp/w are like the mx5 miata. Minimalistic, simple and glides like the wind. Regular bcs are more like your sedans, plush, with all the fittings but not really that fun to drive.

SangP

SangP:
Oh man,

I don't get the point of this bp/w is better than anything out there deal but bp/w are like the mx5 miata. Minimalistic, simple and glides like the wind. Regular bcs are more like your sedans, plush, with all the fittings but not really that fun to drive.

SangP

Huh???

I've used my BP for most of the past 18 months. I recently was taking a class where I really had to get my Seaquest Balance out of the closet and use it. Every time I got in the water I was reminded why I prefer the BP/W. Finally finished the class in April (14 consecutive weekends) and haven't even looked at the Balance since.

But like people are saying, don't buy anything until you've had a chance to try several options and decide what you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom