BP/W questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akanak

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I am just about to buy my own gear and was hoping to get some feedback on a BC. I am leaning towards a BP setup because it just seems to make alot of sense to me. I like the idea of carrying less weight due to the fact that 6 pounds of it is already on your back and it being so streamlined compared to a regular BC. It seems like the way things are going.
The problem is that they get really expensive compared to jacket BCs. Both Diverite and Halcyon rigs seem to be around $700 without weight pockets. The most reasonable setup I could find is a Golem. Does anyone have any experience with these? do they compare in quality to the other two? Any others I should be looking at?
thanks in advance for the replies.

You must be looking in the wrong places. You can get a BP/W setup for far less.

evil_xander:
Contact Tobin at www.deepseasupply.org

He makes excellent gear, and his single tank wings are among the best ones out there. He should be able to set you up with the entire package from between 450 and 500 USD.

I use one of his packages with the LCD30 wing, you can check out the pictures at:
http://www.inet.hr/~astancin/dss/

Heh, looks exactly as mine assembled.

Saves me the trouble of taking pics :p

Thanks for the info so far. Aside from the "don't post when drunk" reply it's been very helpful. (OT- I'll never understand why people bother to post replys if they have nothing helpful to say.)

I will check out deepseasupply and diverite express-any other ideas of where to look? Also anyone use Golem gear? any thoughts? Thanks

The golem unit seems very nice. I've got 2 Halcyon wings and am debating selling the single tank one to go with the golem setup.

At the current pricing I don't see how you can go wrong with that system. Note that I used the word 'system' on purpose. Most people I see who use a BP/W also use a long hose and bungeed secondary. Much information about this is available on the board if you are willing to use the Search feature. Be aware that unfortunately you typically get the same individuals getting into methodological discussions (typically the same useless ones).

If possible, my suggestions would be to try and find someone locally who dives the same waters as yourself and whom you can go for a dive with. See the way they handle their gear, possibly they will even allow you to borrow it for a dive so you can find out if it is suitable to your diving. :)

Best of luck.

Bjorn

akanak:
I will check out deepseasupply and diverite express-any other ideas of where to look? Also anyone use Golem gear? any thoughts? Thanks

The Golem units (for single tank use) are very similar to the others. The wing is a bit more "rugged" than the others. The DSS plate itself is the best one on the market in my opinion. But you should be able to get yourself into a nice setup for $500 or less. By the way, the transpac is not a BP/W. It's streamlined, and has some nice features, but it is not a bp/w since it has no plate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom