BP/W questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cold_water:
Thanks all for the info, quite appreciated. I may have worded some things incorrectly. When I said that the dive rite BP, transpac (and transplate, I guess) could all use the same weight system and accessories, I didn't mean you were locked in. It was my impression that the waist strap was only a 2" strap really, you could add whatever you want that would fit a 2" strap, no? Maybe that's not the case.

I hadn't realized there was less adjustability with their transpac than with other bp. Also, I wasn't implying that one would use a back plate fastened on top of a transpac, but simply that the design of the shoulder straps and waist straps was the same. On that note, is the lac of adjustability noted on the transpac D-rings also a problem with the dive-rite bp?

The dive rite BackPlate, Transplate and transpac all share the same wings. I would expect that the backplate can take wings from other manufacturers without a problem. Does that mean the transpac can accept any wing also? Or is that not the case?
I could be mistaken, but I don't think the TransPac uses screws set 11" apart to attach to it's wings. I *think* you need to use DiveRite's wings. I would verify that, though. As far as other manufacturers, it can vary if you're talking about single tanks. But the 11" spacing is standard, so as long as you're using a single tank adapter, any plate should work with any wing for singles, and the same goes for doubles.

A backplate is a backplate. The DiveRite *TransPlate* however is a custom harness (similar to the one on the TransPac, but not identical) which suffers the same lack of adjustability, as far as D-ring placement is concerned. The plate itself, however, is quite generic and will work with anything.

cold_water:
The dive rite BackPlate, Transplate and transpac all share the same wings. I would expect that the backplate can take wings from other manufacturers without a problem. Does that mean the transpac can accept any wing also? Or is that not the case?

The Transpac is more of a BCD than a BP/W in my opinion. Lots of buckles and clips and padding and other floaty, less-streamlined stuff.

t2070blacklg.jpg

Transplate, only marginally better in those regards. Less floaty stuff, but still lots of clips and buckles etc.

bc1065_bc2116.jpg

Their "deluxe" harness is getting better:

300backplateharness.jpg

But I'd say go all the way to the hog harness:

bc1063.jpg

Get a straight-up plate, a straight-up harness, and a straight-up wing. If you do that you will have ultimate flexibility in what you can mix and match.

cold_water:
On that note, is the lac of adjustability noted on the transpac D-rings also a problem with the dive-rite bp?

The adjustability of a harness is dependent on the harness rather than what type of plate it is attached to. Dive Rite plates are pretty much like any other plate. A simple 2" harness (referred to as Hogarthian or HOG) is pretty much infinitely adjustable and fits a Dive Rite plate nicely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom