BP/W questions from the green one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks--I've heard of that one. Duhhhhhhh......

meh, im just bustin balls. Scuba stuff for the most part is really expensive all the way around and half of it is just plastic and metal

Thank you guys for your responses.

To MSilvia:
Assuming those are 5lb weights, that seems like a lot. With two layers of 7mm wetsuit, I still only need 32, and when I started (and had terrible technique) 42 was still plenty. Are they 5 lb weights?

I believe these are 3lb weights.

The only other items I'd consider other than a plate, harness, and wing (assuming you have d-rings, buckles, etc.) would be a crotch strap, single tank adapter (STA), and some DSS delrin thumbwheels.

I thought crotch strap is included. Or is not it? Anyway I'll buy it separately if it will not be there. STA is already ordered. What are DSS delrin thumbweels good for? I mean you obviously see something good about them comparing to the standard wingnut (or whatever else, I cannot clearly see it on the photo) if you mention them separately?

To Mr Carcharodon:
Thanks for link. It went nto my favorites folder:D

Hi all,
I am a very new to diving, only 12 dives. However, since the dive one I feel uncomfortable with "conventional" BCD. The main reason I think is I have to put enormous weight on my belt (11 weights). This is with 5 mm wetsuit.

So I have decided to go BP/W way. I already purchased SS BP + STA and hog harness from hammerhead. I have heard that hammerhead BPs have kind of sharp unprocessed edges. Anyone tried to cut these sharp edges? If so how do you do it?

Another concern is the hog harness which looks like difficult to deal with on the ground. Anyone had trouble donning/doffing? Is it possible to put the buckle on shoulder if I have this kind of problem?

About the wing: it seems that people here prefer OxyCheq Mach V Signature or DSS wing. Any preference one over another? Where to buy?

I also need a couple of cam bands. Same question: which ones and where to buy?

And what else do I need to complete setup? May be extra weight pockets or something like that? And if anyone can explain how do you place these weights on the backplate, i.e. where exactly and how to attach them.

I am obviously a recreational diver. Other comments about this kind of setup are welcome. Thank you for help.

Never seen a Hammerhead BP, but you can definitely clean off the edges a little bit with a file, as long as you're careful. Also, I think you can only buy DSS wings straight from DSS (contact TobinGeorge on SB, and he will be much more informative {he owns DSS}) You can use a DSS wing with a different backplate, but the wing will only be held on by the cam bands, so it's not the best idea. Also, I wouldn't put a buckle up by your shoulder because it will interefere with having a D-ring there. You can buy cam bands from DSS (they're awesome) or from your LDS, it really doesn't matter.

For weight placing. Your best option is to buy individual weight pockets that you can dump individually, rather than one weight pocket. Then, you put a D-ring retainer on the strap behind the pocket, put the pocket where you want (generally on the belt that goes around your waist) then put a retainer in front of the pocket. Then just tighten it down and you're ready to go! You can also put weight on your tank cambands, which reduces your amount of ditchable weight, unless you put it in a pocket, but that makes it harder to slip the tank out. That will help to adjust your trim in the water, but be careful, as you can make yourself do a nose-dive!

My best advice would be to get together with a group of BP/W divers, go into the water, and play around a bit, adjusting weight underwater. Then, when you've found a comfortable solution, keep it that way!

Hope that helps!

Another question about cam bands. How about this one:

Stainless Steel Cam Latch Tank Strap, BCDS: Men, Scubamax, Stainless Steel Cam Latch Tank Strap

should I get couple of these ones or use the standard ones like this:
Dive Rite Stainless Steel Cam Latch Tank Strap, Scuba Tanks, Dive Rite, Dive Rite Stainless Steel Cam Latch Tank Strap

or may be just a pair of standard ones with plastic buckle?

Either one is ok. Personally, I prefer the plastic buckle because it's black. But the choice is yours!

Never seen a Hammerhead BP, but you can definitely clean off the edges a little bit with a file, as long as you're careful. Also, I think you can only buy DSS wings straight from DSS (contact TobinGeorge on SB, and he will be much more informative {he owns DSS}) You can use a DSS wing with a different backplate, but the wing will only be held on by the cam bands, so it's not the best idea. Also, I wouldn't put a buckle up by your shoulder because it will interefere with having a D-ring there. You can buy cam bands from DSS (they're awesome) or from your LDS, it really doesn't matter.

I see. So because I want STA, DSS wing is not the best choice, I assume.

For weight placing. Your best option is to buy individual weight pockets that you can dump individually, rather than one weight pocket. Then, you put a D-ring retainer on the strap behind the pocket, put the pocket where you want (generally on the belt that goes around your waist) then put a retainer in front of the pocket. Then just tighten it down and you're ready to go! You can also put weight on your tank cambands, which reduces your amount of ditchable weight, unless you put it in a pocket, but that makes it harder to slip the tank out. That will help to adjust your trim in the water, but be careful, as you can make yourself do a nose-dive!

Well, I already told I need to accommodate too much weight anyway:) so hopefully moving some weight into non-ditchable category is not a big deal. Say 11 weights 3lb each is 33lb. From Hammerhead website I assume BP is 5lbs 6 ounces and STA is 5lbs 3 ounces. If this is correct, all together it gives almost 11 lbs. I still have 22 lbs to hold somewhere, which should be safe enough:) So probably couple of weight pockets on harness should handle all my needs. And then it is trim issue which is all different story anyway. Still I hope to have much better trim than diving in jacket BCD with all weight on the belt. Am I right here?

My best advice would be to get together with a group of BP/W divers, go into the water, and play around a bit, adjusting weight underwater. Then, when you've found a comfortable solution, keep it that way!

That is the problem. I have not found these guys locally yet:)

Hope that helps!

Yes it does. Things seem to be much clearer now (I'll see if they really are:))

Either one is ok. Personally, I prefer the plastic buckle because it's black. But the choice is yours!

I see your point (being black:)) but I think stainless steel looks good as well:) I am not sure if these cambands from first link give you a little bit more of convenience than the standard ones. The description says that camband can be adjusted once and then just locked and unlocked, if I understood it right.

I see. So because I want STA, DSS wing is not the best choice, I assume.

If you are using a STA, there are very few Plate and Wing combinations that won't work.

DSS wings can certainly be used with a conventional STA.

If you wish to avoid a STA then compatibility between the wing and Plate can be an issue.

DSS Wings and DSS Plates are designed to work together, and do not require the use of a STA.

Tobin

DSS Wings and DSS Plates are designed to work together, and do not require the use of a STA.

Sorry did not want to blame your wings:) What I mean I already ordered BP and it is not DSS one. However, one question about your cambands. What are the main advantages over standard no-frills one? It looks like you have strong following here.

Thanks.

Sorry did not want to blame your wings:) What I mean I already ordered BP and it is not DSS one. However, one question about your cambands. What are the main advantages over standard no-frills one? It looks like you have strong following here.

Thanks.

No need to apologize, there is a bewildering array of possibilities available today in BP&W's, it's easy to misunderstand.

I'm not sure what you are referencing about our cambands. DSS Cambands are "no frills" as simple as we can make them. I've never seen the advantage of "magic cambands"

We do sell some compressible pads "Camband Tension Pads" that make any camband work better, by reducing the closing force, limiting the peak load on the buckle and providing a means to maintain tension in the camband.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=43

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom