BP/W phenomenon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys ... relax ...

A backplate is just a tool. You don't need skill to own one ... just money, like any other piece of scuba gear.

I happen to live in an area where backplates are very popular ... even among people who have no interest in ever going tech.

So what ...

Dived with a fellow last week who was wearing a 20+ year old ScubaPro jacket ... the old kind that just has a couple of arm holes, no adjustments, no cummerbund, and one plastic buckle in the front to keep it closed.

Pretty good diver, too.

I dive with people all the time who wear backplates, and can't keep their fins out of the silt. That tells me nothing about the gear ... only that this particular diver needs more practice at their basic skills. Usually I'm diving with them because they know it, and they're working on it. Good on 'em ...

The gear says nothing about the diver ... usually all that tells you is which LDS the person frequents.

What makes a good diver is bottom time, effort, and attitude ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bp/w divers are already beyond the REC level?

Fairly meaningless comment. Ive seen plenty of BC wearing divers "beyond rec level" as well with twinsets, multiple stages, mixed gas and so on.

BP/W and BC users are found both at the recreational and technical level.

Alright I've already got one vote for biggest crock of **** post for the year!! WOO HOO

What part was the crock? The part that if OW classes were tought in BP/W that you would see more of them?

Or that the circles that people roam in also determine it?

Or maybe it was a skills comment about watching people play soccer with coral?

I love how emotional people get on boards, don't you? This place is like the ultamate freedom, speak your mind then hold on tight for the flames!!

FIXXERVI6:
I love how emotional people get on boards, don't you? This place is like the ultamate freedom, speak your mind then hold on tight for the flames!!

agree , but we may be frowned upon by the MODS.

Well, as a LDS operator, I have access to all kinds of gear, I currently have 2 jackets, a back inflate, and have an OMS BP/W on order. The one reviewed on Scuba Diving, in fact. I want to be able to advise my customers on ALL systems, pros and cons.

We'll see how it goes.

FIXXERVI6:
What part was the crock?

I've never seen a diver in a standard BP/W configuration hit the water and become a "reef walker"....
You will if divers with poor skills buy them. The rig has nothing to do with skill. If BP/Ws become the norm then all those divers you see in jackets walking on the coral will be wearing wings.

I expect you will NEVER see a diver in a backplate and wing setup do this, why? Because you have to evolve WAY above OW to get into the areas that push these setups, OW divers use standard BC's and such because thats what those circles push, if OW classes were taught in BP/W setups I expect you would see a LOT more of them on the vacation diver market.
No, you dont' need to be in techie circles to see divers who prefer bp/w. All you have to do is log on here. In fact evolution has nothing to do with using a bp/w. You imply that the bc is for the newb and you haven't "evolved" if you haven't made it to the wing setup yet. This is BS. Diving is for fun. You get to decide how you want to do it. You need the right tools for the job. These tools do not make the diver. They are just tools.

Alright I've already got one vote for biggest crock of **** post for the year!! WOO HOO

As for this, I wouldnt' get too excited. There's a lot of BS floating around and we still have a few more months left so I might have to change my vote.:wink:

In another website, another forum, far far away from this one....I would like to see (not literally) you guys argue over the different types of underwear choices out there. That would be amusing because you certainly have your undies in a bunch over here.

So what is it..boxers/briefs/boxer briefs or commando??

jepuskar:
In another website, another forum, far far away from this one....I would like to see (not literally) you guys argue over the different types of underwear choices out there. That would be amusing because you certainly have your undies in a bunch over here.

Commando!!!! :eyebrow:

jepuskar:

:eyebrow: Boxers :eyebrow:

There's really no other sensible choice. No restriction in front and plenty of breathing room.

Back
Top Bottom