BP/W phenomenon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw one this weekend too. A halcyon rep had an explorer. He told me I could try it out but he was gone like the wind by the time my boat came back to shore.

Sneaky halcyon rep guy. *snaggle snargle grrrrr*.

He had some nice videos of a cave diving trip to the philippines though.

Canadian_Diver:
Any item that fits comfortably and works right is going to make any diver more comfortable, more confident, and reduce their SAC ... whether it's a BCD or BPW. I'm sure if you had used a BCD that was initially properly fitted, you'd feel just as confident and not have had the issues you've described.

.....this is where your assumption was made...that had the BCD fit. It sounded very much like an assumption, but I will say I'm sorry if I jumped to any conclusions. As I said I fit into the jacket just fine, tried it on with others to make sure it was the best fit, etc. That's that.

....as for semantics, perhaps "unbelievable" should have been stated as "highly out of the ordinary for me" with respect to things I've done and "very surprising results in a very short period of time" for the reduction in my SAC rate, being comfortable, etc. This is especially the case that I used to dive several dives daily in a BCD prior to my unfortunate hiatus. I realize that man can do many things with an iron will, etc. but that is not the case here. Sky Divng maybe, increasing my SAC rate by being streamlined, more comfortable, etc. doesn't fit that end of the spectrum.

.....I also belive the question was are they a "growing trend". We all realize that they are not THE popular choice, for several reasons and those reasons vary from opinion to opinion. IMHO they are not popular due to the fact that OW students are not exposed to them very often. When you get out with one where exposure has been very little, they often generate a lot of questions. I also believe that LDSs don't offer them very often unless you're in areas with higher concentrations of Tech Divers. I know that all my surrounding LDS's require you to use a specific group of BCDs that they sale and keep on the show-room floor if you are on staff with their shop. Oddly enough, I have never seen the one store owner in anything but a BP/W with doubles in our local quarry (a whopping 35 feet deep). Sending the wrong message perhaps? I'd be asking if I were one of his OW students, why I should buy his stuff in the store when all he wears is a BP/W with doubles.

My decison to buy a BP/W was based on a guy I buddied with last year. He was a much larger guy than me, smoked like a chimney and was in fairly poor shape. I am a big guy, but not near his girth, nor smoked and I work out several days a week and I have very powerful legs. He took off and wore me down very quickly and his air consumption was much better than mine. I was impressed and asked him about it and he said he had a lot of problems and found once he streamlined he was much better off. His primary change was going to the BP/W. I researched for a good bit of time and then bought an Oxycheq Wing / BP set up. The first thing I noticed was that I didn't feel like I was the Stay-Puff Man any longer, being wrapped in the jacket. The second thing I noticed was the 1 piece harness, once adjusted, contoured to the shoulder width and my back better than either of my BCDs had been. Even after a couple dives, getting used to my new equipment, I noticed I had gained 15 minutes in air time (yes I was a big air hog prior to this point) and I continued to work on up even more. It wasn't a 1 or 2 minute gain here and there. It was some significant time on the tank, gained over a short period of time.

jiveturkey:
I saw one this weekend too. A halcyon rep had an explorer. He told me I could try it out but he was gone like the wind by the time my boat came back to shore.

Sneaky halcyon rep guy. *snaggle snargle grrrrr*.

He had some nice videos of a cave diving trip to the philippines though.

....that's why there is cave line, to keep those sneaky rep guys on a leash :D

Not sure how relevant it is but I would say that folks who are exposed to the bp/w are the most likely to go that route from the start...the other group that I find myself in is a complete research junkie. I search for weeks before a major purchase and spend a ton of time on user boards...whatever the fixation happens to be today. I never set out to buy a bp/w...truthfully could not have told you what they were when I began my research...but ended up with that for my first setup. I had no intentions of doing more tek diving but really like the modularity of it...

One aspect of my choice which I have never heard anyone else voice is resale...I know it probably seems crazy but I really thought about how I could try the sport with my own gear and if I found I did not enjoy it as much as I thought could get some money back out of it. Scuba seems to be a sport to easily spend a ton of cash only to have your gear sit in a closet until it has very little value.

When buying new gear i really struggled with what to buy. Every LDS sells and recommends what they stock (this is not a negative) and people who have invested in a brand or style tend to defend it to the end...I was very leery about taking advice from such a small sample. The Hogarthian (bp/w) style divers were the only group (aside from the DIR guys) where I found a fairly specific shopping list. I knew if I did not like the rig or sport I could break it down and part it out for what seems a pretty good aftermarket return.

Now...I am really very happy with my setup. It is streamlined and efficient...one thing I don't like and did not anticipate was the reaction to my setup I have received on a couple of occasions.

I am a newbie diver and the first to admit it...I work like hell to improve my skills on every dive but am about as good as you would expect from a person with only 25 or so dives. for those that know of BP/w some folks have a "oh you think your better than me" kind of attitude which is alarming...it has only happened a couple of times (same trip) one a DM and the other an instructor… so it is not the norm but it has made me a little self conscious...silly yeah...but the last thing I want to do is make it worse for the good divers using the harness.

So a trend ?...my gut says yeah...I think you will see more and more of these in totally rec environs

Oh…and for the crotch strap…I now wear one all the time…even when dry heheh Welded O ring of course :)

I'm a newbie, and overweight like most grownup Americans. Originally certified back in the days of two hose reg's, I'd never heard of a BC until I took a YMCA class last spring. The jacket style BC's were OK in the pool, but I didn't like the "squeeze" feeling in open water. So while there are lots of LDS in the Chicago area, none that I've found rent back inflate models at all, let alone BP/W's. So rather than spend good $$ renting what I don't want I'm buying a back inflate on-line.

I am new recreational diver, and yes because of the media (e.g. magazine, this board and so on...).
see for example: http://www.gue.com/equipment/volker.shtml
People are suggesting the recreational BC's are built for $, well, I am neutral...

I didn't know much about the BP/W back then and would like to ask more, particularly since more people are converted, I believe now it's even more convincing. But then, if I just went for a PADI class, I would probably end up buying something from the shop,
I would never have started on this.

About the "drag" advantage brought by the BP system, I am sure, in theory, that if I don't have anything to carry, the basic harness BP would have the advantage. Then, I am still wondering about how people can get most of their stuffs just by using the basic harness and D-rings.... and if they do put every thing by attaching them to the D-rings, the drag should be worse, right? Isn't it better to have the pockets? How many people using BP are using it with harness only without any pockets? Or most people are using harness with some build in pockets besides the D-rings?

Also, if I eventually wanted to dive with doubles, but now I am using single, shall I start with a double BP anyway? Is that why people are using STA?

thanks in advance...

alo100:
About the "drag" advantage brought by the BP system, I am sure, in theory, that if I don't have anything to carry, the basic harness BP would have the advantage. Then, I am still wondering about how people can get most of their stuffs just by using the basic harness and D-rings.... and if they do put every thing by attaching them to the D-rings, the drag should be worse, right? Isn't it better to have the pockets? How many people using BP are using it with harness only without any pockets? Or most people are using harness with some build in pockets besides the D-rings?

You can clip things you’ll need (spool, SMB, wetnote, spare mask, double enders etc.) to bungie loops in pockets attached to your wet/drysuit (or Xshorts). A larger SMB or liftbag can also be stowed in a pocket situated between your back and the bp. Backup lights are clipped to the chest D-rings and attached to the harness but are shielded by your arms when you are horizontal, hence out of the “slipstream.”

alo100:
Also, if I eventually wanted to dive with doubles, but now I am using single, shall I start with a double BP anyway? Is that why people are using STA?

No—use a single tank wing setup. The STA is to raise the tank slightly away from the single tank wing (and a way to add more weight, if necessary). Some single tank wings such as the Halcyon Pioneer can be used with or without a STA. Using a “doubles” wing for single tank diving would be pointless.

Well I just got back into diving earlier this year after a 3 yr hiatus (never saw a BPW previously). I am diving primarily in tropical touristy spots around Asia. Here are my observations.

First time seeing a bp/w was in subic bay philippines. For those that are un familiar with this site, its well know for its wrecks. The dive shop we were using specializes in tech diving/ wreck diving. There was one guy who was doing his tech training and as that was my first time ever seeing those plates I peppered him with lots of questions... On the same trip, there were two "old timers" - late 50's I guess were content in their jacket BCD's but with doubles.

Trip to Puerto Galera. A number of the DM's were in BPW's (the dive shop has a strong tech focus and is well known around asia). Saw only one "recreational" diver in our group with a BPW setup. I peppered him as well about the setup and got the usual pitch. Seem like an average diver. Couldn't say he was any better in trim/ buoyancy than the rest of us.

Liveaboard to Komodo from Bali. One of the trip leaders and DM wore a DIR setup. All the customers and other DM's wore BCD's (only a few back inflated). The DIM wasn't so hardcore DIR but did explain the benefits of the DIR setup...

Me - still not even at 100 dives. Already dumped my 2 mos old vest BCD for a back inflate and have noticed the difference. Curiously reading about BPW's on SB as my future goals is possiblly getting into trimix/ tech in order to really enjoy some of the deeper wrecks in Asia.

I think some of the earlier posts hit on what's basically happening. Its pretty simple. The BPW setup is getting more and more visability as people see these on their "recreational" trips and inquisitive people will ask questions.

Whether they're all bunch of religious zealots preaching the world according to the almighty backplate like a roving pack of underwater moonies, I leave that to another post...

Let's stay focused, guys.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom