BP/W phenomenon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TCDiver1:
Not in my neck of the woods.

Not in most places i vacation dive.

So i would say no.

Actually, I live and dive in your neck of the woods and it seems to me that I have noticed more people wearing BP/W set ups this year than last year. I do consider myself a recreational diver, however I dive as many shipwrecks as possible. It is on these charters that I have seen more BP/W set ups. I have also noticed that my new LDS, the original one did not like my gear configuration, is starting to stock and actively promote a BP/W set up. There are other dive shops in the area are doing the same. I have also discussed this gear set up with other divers, because of there interest in wanting to make a change.

So I would say yes there has been an increase.

It started with just one of the DM's from the shop I did my OW with. ~ 2 years ago.

Then his wife (also a DM)

Then my OW Instructor

Then me.

Now basicaly everyone I dive with has a plate.

The typical crowd I hang out with is more than 50% bp/wing, most single tank rec only folk. Its amazing what the "Yeah, sure, give it a try." results in.

I agree with one of the earlier posts.

Joe

Rec Diver:
So I would say yes there has been an increase.

Then i would say we dive in different necks of the woods. In places like Coz, Bonaire, Turneffe, Hawaii, The Keys, Palau, Chuuk, etc there was usually no BP&W's on the boat unless i was wearing one.

Same goes for local sites like the Straits, Whitefish, Manitou, Sanilac, etc. You do tend to see more BP&W's in those places than you do in the warm water vacation spots but its been that way for some time, its nothing new. More technically oriented divers tend to frequent these cold water wreck locations and many naturally gravitate to the BP&W.

Even so, i haven't seen a significant uptick in the number of BP&W at local sites either. A small increase? Maybe, but its far from a major phenomenon from what i've seen. Or maybe i'm just seeing things. :wink:

TCDiver1:
Then i would say we dive in different necks of the woods. In places like Coz, Bonaire, Turneffe, Hawaii, The Keys, Palau, Chuuk, etc there was usually no BP&W's on the boat unless i was wearing one.

Same goes for local sites like the Straits, Whitefish, Manitou, Sanilac, etc. You do tend to see more BP&W's in those places than you do in the warm water vacation spots but its been that way for some time, its nothing new. More technically oriented divers tend to frequent these cold water wreck locations and many naturally gravitate to the BP&W.

Even so, i haven't seen a significant uptick in the number of BP&W at local sites either. A small increase? Maybe, but its far from a major phenomenon from what i've seen. Or maybe i'm just seeing things. :wink:

My neck of the woods would be Michigan, isn't this also yours? I have yet to do any warm water diving. So, my neck of the woods is limited. I live in the lower part of West Michigan and dive the wrecks as much as possible in the great lakes. I have seen a definate change and increase in the LDS I do business with, one of them is even a Halcyon distributor now, providing and recommending BPW set ups in the last year. These same LDS also stock plates. Last year they did not.

Rec Diver:
My neck of the woods would be Michigan, isn't this also yours?

Yup, the "TC" is Traverse City.

I don't dive in southern Mich. so maybe its different down there. Up here, they are still very rare when it comes to your average recreational diver. Heck they're still pretty rare when it comes to "tech" divers.

You do see lots of those "whistle & bell" jackets with D-rings & retractors hanging all over the place though. :wink:

TCDiver1:
In places like Coz, Bonaire, Turneffe, Hawaii, The Keys, Palau, Chuuk, etc there was usually no BP&W's on the boat unless i was wearing one.

Well, there will be at least two backplate/wing rigs in Bonaire in about 24 days ... my guess is that there will be more than that ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Well, there will be at least two backplate/wing rigs in Bonaire in about 24 days ... my guess is that there will be more than that ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well just think Bob, if you see two more BP&W's that would be four out of the hundreds of Rangers & jackets that will be on the island that week. Maybe it really is a phenomenon. :wink:

I cant wait to take my bp-w set up to mexico. down there all the rec divers rent and they have jacket stlyes with short lp hase. just wait till they see my longhose set up omfg are they going to flip.

And you will be a part of the growing numbers of recreational divers using a B/P-wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom