BP/W phenomenon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pants!:
Raise your hand if you think ScubaPro and Zeagle are going to research, develop, and market items to a very small and stagnant market already saturated with products from five other manufacturers (Halcyon, Oxycheq, OMS, Dive Rite, and DSS).

Recreational use of bp's and wings are on the rise, and in a big way.

You can already buy a Zeagle BP/W and if I remember correct Scott Zeagle said he was working on a donut style wing that could possibly be out next year.

Oh I agree.. I was specifically talking about slim single tank wings though :)

Trying to stick with the thread...

I would also like to see what can be done with the BP/W for the future...
remember that the BP/W was the primitive form before the jacket type BC, so in a way
the jacket types are designed with more or less with the mindset to fit the needs of the creational divers already...
The BP/W is terse period, even a 2-pieces harness would be considered as "less safe" (introducing pt. of weekness). Then, under this condition of "simplicity is the best", any small company can make the basic setup. If you're a big manufacturer, how can you make a breakthrough which can convince people to jump out from the frame of "simplicity" issue?
Frankly, would you buy some new BP/W system just because it looks better? If the reply is negative, then the break through has to be a "real" breakthrough.

pants!:
What did they remove?
A whole bunch of Stab jacket users trying to push their religious use of jacket BC's on the rest of us.

It was ugly...good thing it got cleaned up.

JeffG:
A whole bunch of Stab jacket users trying to push their religious use of jacket BC's on the rest of us.

*sigh*

Yeah. Too bad the converse comments about evolution and coral-walking were left in -- equally ugly, I thought.

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack again... just had to mention that.

--Marek

JeffG:

In simple terms a wing is more comfortable no clutter in front, you can wear a harness weight belt which is far more comfortable.

So in essence wings back plate not necessarily for Deco diving, (someone made the point about deco diving idealy you need side mounts for dec gas another story) you can stay down longer and you can get two dives out of your twin set, no changing tanks bliss.

alo100:
Trying to stick with the thread...
Frankly, would you buy some new BP/W system just because it looks better? If the reply is negative, then the break through has to be a "real" breakthrough.

I don't think any "breakthrough" is necessary for larger companies to have success selling a BP/W configuration. Look at the parallel to automobiles.

The Toyota Camry and Ford Taurus made no breakthroughs at all, but both were the best selling vehicles in the country. The reason? They were practical, reliable vehicles, sold for a fair price, and didn't break much. They weren't exciting, didn't come in fancy colors, but met a need perfectly.

To me, the larger companies can leverage their economy of scale. They SHOULD be able to produce a Hog style rig, at a fair price and with good construction at a price to rival most mid-level jacket BCs. That's the benefit. If ScubaPro can make a EXACT Halcyon Eclipse replica with the same quality for $450, people would be all over it. I know I'd be near the front of that line. If they could make an entry level BP/W setup for $350, we might get more people to try it. Toss in the factual marketing about it being modular, growing with you, some patterned webbing perhaps, a backplate fabric covering to hide the metal plate, etc. And I think you're onto something.

Just my thoughts...

Let's bring it back on topic . . .
Have you noticed and increase in the use of the B/P-wing in recreational diving?

The Kraken:
Let's bring it back on topic . . .
Have you noticed and increase in the use of the B/P-wing in recreational diving?

Not in my neck of the woods.

Not in most places i vacation dive.

So i would say no.

Rick Inman:
We stood there eyeballing the class for a minute, and then one of my buddies said, "Check it out, Rick. All these divers on the beach - the three of us, the students and the instructors - and you are the only diver wearing that techie set up. In fact, I've never seen anyone else in that kind of gear in my life."

Rick... if you ever get a chance to come to Michigan, look me up. I promise you will no longer be a lone diver with your "techie set up".

Back
Top Bottom