BP/W phenomenon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CIBDiving:
And here we have a good reason for the agency bashing that's so prevelent.

Oh ... I thought that was just because people generally like to complain ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I think you're on to something.

There's a reason why dive shops insist that their staff wear what the dive shop sells.

I recently started teaching for a particular shop, and part of our agreement was that I would not have to purchase new gear. I have something over $20,000 invested in my current dive gear ... and very little of it is of brands that are carried by that store. So what does my very first class produce? A student who strolls into the store and exclaims "I want a setup just like Bob's".

Recreational divers purchase what they're exposed to ... that's the overwhelming criteria for new diver purchases.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I would think that a shop would welcome this ... it means more sales! (I know it also means they have to stock/order more too) A salesperson always sells best what they personally like and use. Thus if an instructor has a preference for one type of gear I've always believed they would best serve the shop by selling that type of gear, or at least making it available for ordering (a customer that gets what they want, will be back for more... vs one who is sold something because it was all that was available - they will eventually find someone to sell them what they really want)... in an ideal world I know....

in regards to a growing number of posts regarding BP/Wings on Scubaboard, it seems that over the past 4 years of posts that I've "perused" there does appear to be an increase. However over the last year that I've been on the board it seems to fluctuate based on how many "new converts" (of which I was one :wink: ) to BP's there are at the moment... it seems to go for about 2 months, then quiets down, then picks up again... I'd venture a guess that it is still growing, only at a slower pace. There seem to be more bp/wing manufacturers now than there were a year ago, so I would take that as a sign that the market is growing in it's own little corner at the very least. As it grows it will probably creep more into the general diving population and become more commonly accepted in rec diving circles and training. None of my friends which have tried a bp have disliked it, some found it too expensive for their taste, some don't seem to care one way or another and then most find they prefer it. One young friend of mine was given a jacket BC, found it had a malfunctioning inflator mechanism, so he borrowed my loaner wing that day - now he keeps borrowing it even though he has a jacket of his own ... He won't say he likes it, but actions do tend to speak louder than words at times :wink: ... Tommorow we're scheduled to go diving after Church together (I gotta test out my new doubles rig and look like a fool again - lol )

Aloha, Tim

NWGratefulDiver:
Oh ... I thought that was just because people generally like to complain

Well there is that Too :icorolley

I made the switch to BP/W pretty early in my diving history; I recall it being around 20 dives or so. Perhaps I was too new at the time and didn't have enough exposure to the dive community because I can't recall seeing more than 2 BP/W's over those first 20 dives. After I got one I started seeing them all the time. I really havn't been diving long enough to provide a weighted comment on BP/W popularity trends.

Tonight I just dove with 3 other divers, 2 of which were using BP/W's. Of the 3, I am the newest BP/W user. Is this a result of seeking out divers with similar interests or a general increase in BP/W popularity?

SeanQ:
Tonight I just dove with 3 other divers, 2 of which were using BP/W's. Of the 3, I am the newest BP/W user. Is this a result of seeking out divers with similar interests or a general increase in BP/W popularity?

Are you still in vancover? The increase in BP/Ws in the PNW has been dramatic over the last 5-7 years. At times they seem to outnumber 'regular' BCs ( except of course among the "student" group). Favorable trim caracteristics when useing a heavy suit likely account for this. Since most classes in the PNW Start the students in drysuits, it seems a disservice not to start them in a BP/W as well.

lairdb:
And if I see it right, four of the five are DSS plates -- you go, Tobin.

--L

It almost looks like all 5 are DSS plates judging from the hole spacing and cam strap slots.

It also looks like 3, possibly 4, of the wings are Oxycheq.

Cool hardware indeed. :D

SeanQ:
It almost looks like all 5 are DSS plates judging from the hole spacing and cam strap slots.

It also looks like 3, possibly 4, of the wings are Oxycheq.

Cool hardware indeed. :D

Five DSS plates
Four Oxycheq wings
Three canister lights
Two TransPlate harnesses

... and a partridge in a pear tree ... (sorry, couldn't help myself) ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
... and a partridge in a pear tree ... (sorry, couldn't help myself) ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ok I have been holding out in joining this thread but this quote was like fate calling. haha

I have seen one BP/W in the past 2 years diving recreationally in the 2 bottom islands in the Philippines. Of my dive group and friends only I log on to scubaboard. Without any research involved, I know more about BP/W than anybody else I know. There are really a lot of SBers in BP/W and they are also the heavy posters.

I may try it someday and have an opinion. Right now my 2 LDS's dont carry them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom