BP/W phenomenon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar:
The bigger issue is Jonnythan agreeing with me on something...there is a first for everything. :wink:
I had to take a shower afterwards :eyebrow:

If Tobin accepts my challange and I hope he does, I'll have that many dives on one and from what I hear, a good one at that.

I don't mind admitting I underestimated a piece of gear. But keep in mind I have not criticized bp/w's. In fact I've frequently said they excel in certain situations. So the comments I make are not due to any bias against the equipment.

If it's as good as you guy's say it is I'll be the next convert and happy to tell the story.

jonnythan:
I have to agree with jepuskar here.

Many of the comments in support of bp/wings come from those of us who have gone from jacket or back inflate BC's, even minimalist, streamlined ones, to bp/wings.

I used to be just like you. I came onto the board, guns blazing, in a huge argument with a couple of old regulars. I claimed over and over that my back inflate BC was every bit as good as a backplate and wing. It made no sense to me whatsoever that these fools were shoving the backplate idea down my throat when it was obviously no better than what I already owned.

Boy, was I wrong.

Come back when you have 10 or 15 dives in one, THEN you have a frame of reference and have a legitimate right to argue.

Has anyone else seen a growing trend with BP/W's in the recreational area? Do you see more of them at your dive sites?

Don Janni:
I don't mind admitting I underestimated a piece of gear. But keep in mind I have not criticized bp/w's. In fact I've frequently said they excel in certain situations. So the comments I make are not due to any bias against the equipment.
Maybe not, I haven't read the entire thread, but you certainly said some very mean and nasty things about bp/wing supporters and the things we have said. Read post #53.. I just read it again with the knowledge that you've never even been in one and it comes across... not well.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming . . .

jepuskar:
Has anyone else seen a growing trend with BP/W's in the recreational area? Do you see more of them at your dive sites?

Nope. Nobody on my Caribbean summer diving staff had one, nor did any of my 40+ students. I didn't see any among the diving staff at the Forfar marine station on Andros either, nor their student divers.

I can still attest that jacket BCD's are the overwhelming champs in the Bahamas. It's rare to even see back-inflate BCD's like my TransPacII. Besides mine, I only saw one other back-inflate all summer.

I haven't been to the Bahamas or the Carribbean or anywhere tropical. I dive in the usually cold murky waters of the Northeast (and the warm happy waters of the St Lawrence), and I've seen more and more divers in bp/wings in the couple of years I've been diving. LOTS of rec divers use them up here.

jepuskar:
I dive at quite a few places were tech divers also dive. So I see many backplates, but most of the time not at a recreational level. Diving with other SB'ers though, a decent percentage dive BP/W's. my last 4 boat charters (recreational) I have been the only guy on the boat with a BP/W. Just a general observation, take it for what it's worth (not much).

Matt

jonnythan:
Maybe not, I haven't read the entire thread, but you certainly said some very mean and nasty things about bp/wing supporters and the things we have said. Read post #53.. I just read it again with the knowledge that you've never even been in one and it comes across... not well.
Jonny, there have been some (?) pretty nasty things said on both sides, here...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom