BP/W phenomenon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canadian_Diver:
Well, that's fine and dandy, yes .... but I'm still waiting to hear what other unbelievable things you've done with your BPW since starting to dive again, 40 dives ago.

Any item that fits comfortably and works right is going to make any diver more comfortable, more confident, and reduce their SAC ... whether it's a BCD or BPW. I'm sure if you had used a BCD that was initially properly fitted, you'd feel just as confident and not have had the issues you've described.

Besides, I've still seen folks with the best, most expensive gear, that fits right, and is comfortable, and they're still far from superior divers.

....making assumptions make a 4 legged burden bearing creature out of you. I made several more dives (if you look for one of my previous posts) in a BCD than I ever made in a BP/W. My previous BCD fit just fine however I made sure my new one fit evern better when I came off my hiatus. Also, when I state "unbelivable" it is more with respect to a perspective based upon what I do diving wise now compared to much of my general complaints about being stuck in the great white north, whether it be ice diving, cold water diving in general or even quarry diving. I generally hate the cold and it is a miracle that I have done some cold water diving that many of my fellow divers here think I'm crazy for doing. I love being under the ice or in the cold water, etc.

I found the BP/W to greatly increase my SAC rate, comfortability as well as other skills like being able to control myself, trim etc. It was an incredible change that happened over a matter of a couple dives after switching to a BP/W so the experience issue becomes a minute point. I belive I answered the original question about the BP/W becoming more popular and I just recaped my experience on how I switched from a BCD to a BP/W. Unless you have worn my shoes then my question to you is, who are you to judge and/or understand? This is as bad as many of the cigar "afficiendos" who believe one cigar is better than another , when it is merely a point of "perspective" and not based upon any scientific fact. I never stated that a BP/W was better than a BCD, unless you were trying to read between lines that were not there. I merely stated that I have done unbelivable things (back to my perspective and NO ONE elses) such as almost immediately reducing SAC rate, huge comfort increase (including confident increase) that I never felt in a BCD.

If you're going to solve this through some sort of belivable means, then the best idea may be to take groups of OW students, with the same teachers, environment, etc., putting some in BP/W and some in BCDs and run them through the same OW courses. Then have some means of scientifically (with a standard measurement index) evaluating their trim, abilities, SAC rate, etc. Until someone does something like this, it is all merely speculative and frankly a lot of bull crap.

.....this BS all takes away from the original question about whether or not BP/W has become more popular. As stated earlier, more information is available on BP/W in the recreational world and a) that I changed and b) I made significant strides in performance, which means that c) the possiblity exists that some people can make similiar strides and d) others may be able to if the above mentioned scientific study was truly done...

.....until then it is all perspective, so what is your point?

darylm74:
I found the BP/W to greatly increase my SAC rate, comfortability as well as other skills like being able to control myself, trim etc. It was an incredible change that happened over a matter of a couple dives after switching to a BP/W so the experience issue becomes a minute point. ?

My God man... This is amazing!!! Was it devine intervention? Did the power eminate from the backplate or harness? Could you feel your body start to change right away? Was there a warm feeling or tingling sensation?

Did you realize immediately your bp/w was enabling an incrediable change that was increasing your skills? How much was your SAC rate improved? Double, triple, quadruple and did it happen during your first descent?

After those 2 dives did you have more certifications than before? Were your pockets full of new cert cards? Did you wear it in the car to see if it made you a better driver? I just have to know... did you wear it in bed?

What brand is it. Do you think if I went to the LDS and just wore a bp/w for a while I might see a little skill level improvement?

Can't wait to see your reply. :D

Gentlemen,
I think we need to get this thread back on track and respond to the crux of the thread . . . whether or not one has noticed an increase in the use of B/P-wings in recreational diving.

the K

What about on the surface? Faced with a long surface swim in sloppy conditions, isn't a bp/w or even recreational wing arrangement going to keep a diver more comfortable (at least swimming backwards) than jacket style BC with a lower centre of lift? :14:

Once again, I think we need to get back on thread.

Jepuskar's question has nothing to do with the performance characteristics of different types of buoyancy compensation devices.

This is the central point of his thread:

"For some reason I have noticed a lot more BP/W posts lately....is it me or is there a growing trend among recreational divers?"

All responses should be directed towards an answer to his question.

the K

Prune Fingers:
What about on the surface? Faced with a long surface swim in sloppy conditions, isn't a bp/w or even recreational wing arrangement going to keep a diver more comfortable (at least swimming backwards) than jacket style BC with a lower centre of lift? :14:
Possibly, but not definitely.

Depends on fit, amount of lift vs weighting, and what you're used to ...

The attraction of a jacket-style BCD for many people is that it keeps you more naturally "vertical" in the water when you're on the surface than a wing or back-inflate BCD ... and since we're all used to being "vertical" all our land-based lives, this makes surface swimming more comfortable for a lot of people.

Whether it makes it easier or not is another question altogether ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

PS - oops, sorry Kraken ... we were typing simultaneously ... we now return you to your regularly-scheduled programming ... :crafty:

No, I've never been there.

......... is it rec.scuba.org? Looks like a store front / source for links to me.

jepuskar:
Don, you post on rec.scuba dont you? :(

Thanks, Bob . . .

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom