BP/W phenomenon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Janni:
My God man... This is amazing!!! Was it devine intervention? Did the power eminate from the backplate or harness? Could you feel your body start to change right away? Was there a warm feeling or tingling sensation?

I understand your reaction, and your hyperbolic response.......but here's my experience.

Stabile horizontal trim is for me anyway, and I would expect for others too, the gateway to almost all other skills. I clearly remember the first time I was able to hover motionless, and I distinctly remember having to work hard at acheiving this again in doubles. (A work in progress I might add even with a BP&W)

It was for me simply much easier to achieve this in a BP&W. Is it possible to do it in a Stab jacket? I'm quite certain it is, but I'd know from my own first hand experience, diving with many, many first time BP&W users, that it's easier for many in a BP&W.

BP&W's offer a number of advantages, but in my opinion, it's the 5-6 lbs up over the lungs that has the greatest effect, and makes horizontal trim easier to acheive. This leads to improved SAC, etc.

Regards,

Tobin

jepuskar:
If you take away all the posts not related to my original topic, we would have one page here. :)

And 1 of them would have been my 1st post in the thread, which I will point out was very much on subject, and is post #13.

Well, on topic, I see them all the time. Last few times I was on a boat, no one on the boat had anything other than a backplate. All of my dive buddies, except a select few who don't really even know what they are, have them. Most rec divers I see in Ontario and New Jersey have them. A huge chunk of people I see at Dutch Springs have them.

Tobin,

Here's the difference in the way we think; you said my reply was a hyperbolic response while I would say my reply was a sarcastic response to a hyperbolic post.

Here's a challange for you... an opportunity for you to put your money where your mouth is.

I have never had a bp/w on my body. I currently use a Zeagle Stiletto and I like it a lot. I'm a warn water diver who dives for recreation. 56 dives logged so really a beginner in most circles.

As you can see below, my wife and I spend 8 days in Coz starting 3 weeks from now. We're diving with Christi if you happen to know her. We're signed up for 19 dives at the moment.

Set me up with the appropriate rig and I'll take it to Coz and give it a serious tryout. I'll take what ever time is needed to get it setup right before we depart. There's a pool near by if needed. I'm willing to do this because SAC, trim and stability are important to me and I'm very concious of those things. Afterward, like it or not I'll post a report on it. Unbiased as I can be. And in return, if it's as good as you and all the other say it is....... I'll buy it from you!!! Scouts honor.

Do you accept my challange?

Don

cool_hardware52:
I understand your reaction, and your hyperbolic response.......but here's my experience.

Stabile horizontal trim is for me anyway, and I would expect for others too, the gateway to almost all other skills. I clearly remember the first time I was able to hover motionless, and I distinctly remember having to work hard at acheiving this again in doubles. (A work in progress I might add even with a BP&W)

It was for me simply much easier to achieve this in a BP&W. Is it possible to do it in a Stab jacket? I'm quite certain it is, but I'd know from my own first hand experience, diving with many, many first time BP&W users, that it's easier for many in a BP&W.

BP&W's offer a number of advantages, but in my opinion, it's the 5-6 lbs up over the lungs that has the greatest effect, and makes horizontal trim easier to acheive. This leads to improved SAC, etc.

Regards,

Tobin

Don, you're pretty opinionated for having 56 dives, none of which are on a BP/W.

Have you noticed a growing trend in BP/W in the recreational community?

That is good of to to be wiling to try it out and give an honest opinion, I know some might be tempted to stay with their original thoughts in order to "save face" but it seems you realy would give it a fair chance. The thing is that places usually charge $ for rentals. There are shops w/ "try before you buy" where you pay the rental fee and if you decide to buy it you get reimbursed that $. I think that would be a little more fair. If not people who want to use sweet gear for a trip would "challenge" folks all the time.

jepuskar:
Don, you're pretty opinionated for having 56 dives, none of which are on a BP/W.

Have you noticed a growing trend in BP/W in the recreational community?

You should read post 132. I thought you would have been keeping up with this thread. And... neither you nor Johnnythan have ever read a single word from me where I've said a BC is better than a bp/w. So where do your "opinionated" comments come from?

Seems to me this may be the pot calling the kettle black. You think???

Don Janni:
You should read post 132. I thought you would have been keeping up with this thread. And... you have not seen a single word from me where I've said a BC is better than a bp/w. So where do your "opinionated" comment come from?

Seems to me this may the pot calling the kettle black. You think???
I have to agree with jepuskar here.

Many of the comments in support of bp/wings come from those of us who have gone from jacket or back inflate BC's, even minimalist, streamlined ones, to bp/wings.

I used to be just like you. I came onto the board, guns blazing, in a huge argument with a couple of old regulars. I claimed over and over that my back inflate BC was every bit as good as a backplate and wing. It made no sense to me whatsoever that these fools were shoving the backplate idea down my throat when it was obviously no better than what I already owned.

Boy, was I wrong.

Come back when you have 10 or 15 dives in one, THEN you have a frame of reference and have a legitimate right to argue.

Don, this below post of yours is opinionated....I'm not going to argue with you...bottomeline is you have never dove a BP/W. Your #13 post was on topic....thank you for that...but everything else afterwards is off topic.

The bigger issue is Jonnythan agreeing with me on something...there is a first for everything. :wink:

Don Janni:
My God man... This is amazing!!! Was it devine intervention? Did the power eminate from the backplate or harness? Could you feel your body start to change right away? Was there a warm feeling or tingling sensation?

Did you realize immediately your bp/w was enabling an incrediable change that was increasing your skills? How much was your SAC rate improved? Double, triple, quadruple and did it happen during your first descent?

After those 2 dives did you have more certifications than before? Were your pockets full of new cert cards? Did you wear it in the car to see if it made you a better driver? I just have to know... did you wear it in bed?

What brand is it. Do you think if I went to the LDS and just wore a bp/w for a while I might see a little skill level improvement?

Can't wait to see your reply. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom