BP/W phenomenon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rec Diver:
You would surface swim over a mile to save 10 bucks? Wow, you are cheap! You do understand that $10 parking would be $5 each? Heck you probably use a bicylce pump to fill your tanks, don't you?

Thank you! Yes $10 split 2 ways usualy equals $5 unless I can convince you that 10 / 2 = 12 and half that = 6+2 so you pay $8 and I'll pay the other half. But even then $4 pays for the fill for the Next dive so I'll probably still swim. No, I haven't managed to use a bicycle pump YET but I'm looking into one of those O2 boosters thingys made from a couple of old hydralic cylinders. And, of course, I have been known to put a bottle in the frig ( or now that I live in Ak , outside) with the valve open, then close the valve and set it on a heater just to get enough pressure to fool the tank monkey into filling it after I've had the valve out.

In case you haven't guessed CIB stands for "Cheaper Is Better"

CIBDiving:
In case you haven't guessed CIB stands for "Cheaper Is Better"
That is exactly what I thought. My sister and brother in-law live in Alaska as well. Based on your ability to do arithmetic, she might know you.

darylm74:
....ice diving for one, which I know may not be unbelievable (though for a growing up in the south and living in the north, those who know me would concur) to some as well as I know it obviously is done in a jacket. The thing for me is I feel more comfortable (not squished) in the BP/W and though you're right, the equipment doesn't make the diver, being comfortable in it though, does make it easier to do things you'd never dream of doing. I'm a bigger guy (though I work out everyday so not meaning unfit) and the jacket made me feel like I was fighting all the time, not being streamlined and feeling like I was a goodyear blimp under water. My SAC rate was through the roof. Within a couple weeks after going to the BP/W, being more streamlined and so forth, my SAC rate went down and my confidence went way up.

Well, that's fine and dandy, yes .... but I'm still waiting to hear what other unbelievable things you've done with your BPW since starting to dive again, 40 dives ago.

Any item that fits comfortably and works right is going to make any diver more comfortable, more confident, and reduce their SAC ... whether it's a BCD or BPW. I'm sure if you had used a BCD that was initially properly fitted, you'd feel just as confident and not have had the issues you've described.

Besides, I've still seen folks with the best, most expensive gear, that fits right, and is comfortable, and they're still far from superior divers.

Rec Diver:
Fitting everyone with a one size jacket style BC is not possible.

Huh?? :06:

I don't know what your LDS carries, but mine carries BCD's in a number of different sizes and styles, and I'm sure the variety of sizes and shapes of our divers aren't any different than yours out there.

Marek K:
Go, CD, go.

I for one may be lurking quietly, but... :thumb: .

Marek, as Elvis would say .... "Thank ya... thankyaverymuch!" :crafty:

Now, for $10 ..... :D

jepuskar:
Mike, I don't understand why you think a BP/W is not good for everyday recreational diving?
Don't see where he said that? He said he didn't think it was necessary. And that he did not prefer it. That's a little different.

I think he is trying to make the point that there is more than one valid choice. (A hopeless cause, I know.) Go Mike! (and CD!)

cool_hardware52:
Well said Ben,

May I use that analogy, with your permission?

Tobin

Hi Tobin,
Sorry, I can't take any credit. I heard that analogy (or a variation) somewhere else regarding a different topic. I can't remember who I heard say it.

-Ben

Ben, That's a great analogy. In fact, it's a universial truism. Since I'm feeling a bit uneasy because of an earlier rant I want say I agree forthe most part. The human act of making constructive suggestions is a basic kindness and a sign of caring that is appreciated by all of us. We all want solutions, not objects. That's the point to your analogy anyway.

Unfortunately, that's not the attitude protrayed by many divers here when they start attempting to persuade someone that they don't really want a BC. Yet, what really gets me is when people say, directly or indirectly, that the only skilled divers are the divers wearing bp/w rigs and the lowly, and obviously unskilled REC divers don't have the brains or the experience to know the difference.

When talking to people nothing's more important than the delivery isn't it?

airsix:
Hi Tobin,
Sorry, I can't take any credit. I heard that analogy (or a variation) somewhere else regarding a different topic. I can't remember who I heard say it.

-Ben

Rec Diver:
Is this when I am supposed to say, ROT ROH?

.....you are Scooby Doo. The point was that I found it funny due to the verbose sarcasm....nothing more, nothing less.

Back
Top Bottom